No. McKenzie Street Woman Passed Away Last Night in Emma L. Bixby Hospital
2 Rescuers Also Burned
Explosion Blew Out Downstairs in House and Lifted Rugs From Floor
Mrs. Andrew J. Wood, aged 73 years, died at 8:30 o’clock last evening in the Emma L. Bixby hospital from burns she suffered about 2:25 o’clock yesterday afternoon in the explosion of a gas stove in the kitchen of her home at 204 North McKenzie Street.
Two other persons suffered burns while trying to rescue Mrs. Wood after the explosion. Paul Holloway, 17, employed by the Ward Motor Service on the St. Joseph Street side of the Wood residence, had his eyebrows singed. Mrs. Harold Lovitt, who lives next door on the McKenzie Street side, was painfully burned on her arms as she wrapped the unconscious woman in rugs. She was later attended by Dr. A.B. Hewes.
The force of the explosion blew out downstairs windows in the Wood home and lifted every rug from the floors. The flame apparently shot across the kitchen to a table at which it is believed Mrs. Wood was sitting. Two leaves on a calendar above the table were burned.
The fire was out when the fire department arrived and firemen devoted their efforts to clearing the house of gas fumes. Mrs. Wood was taken in an ambulance to the Emma L. Bixby hospital where she was attended by Dr. A.C. Wood. She had suffered major burns from the top of her to her waist.
Mrs. Wood’s maiden name was Lucy E. Shauger and she was born in Seneca township and had lived all her life in Lenawee county. She had been an Adrian resident the last 34 years. She married Mr. Wood in 882 [sic]. Surviving are her husband and one daughter Mrs. Merle W. Sherman of Palmyra and a sister Mrs. William Jones of Adrian. She is also survived by a niece Mrs. Pearl Moll of Adrian.
The funeral services are to be at 2 o’clock Saturday afternoon at the Everiss Funeral Home and the burial is to be in Oakwood cemetery.
Source: Adrian Daily Telegram, May 7, 1936.