Notable Wedding

G. Henry Crane and Miss Eva May Rorick, at Morenci

The wedding of G. Henry Crane, of this city, bookkeeper at C.B. Pennock’s novelty store, and Miss Eva May Rorick, daughter of Casper Rorick, of Morenci, took place last evening, at 7 o’clock, at the Congregational church, at Morenci, and was the swellest social function that ever took place in that pleasant little village.

The church was magnificently trimmed in a green and white effect, a profusion of palms being scattered about the room. Everyone of the large windows had row upon row of burning candles and at the altar candles were burning.

Rev. John McLean, of the Baptist church, performed Episcopal ceremony, and during its reading the ever sweet Traummeri was softly played on the organ.

A departure from the usual custom was the signing of Lohengrin’s wedding march by a chorus of female voices, concealed behind a handsome bank of palms. The effect was charming.

The bride and her maids were dressed in white organdie, and the gentlemen were in full dress. Dr. G.B.M. Seager appeared for Mr. Crane, and with Miss Rorick were Miss Horton, of Morenci, Miss Jewett, of Dayton, Ohio, and Lela Rorick. The bride carried lilies of the valley, Miss Jewett and Miss Horton carnations, and Lela Rorick American beauty roses.

The ushers were Clark Baldwin, Chas. Whiteney, Seward Wilcox and Theodore Wagner.

Following the ceremony a reception was held at the residence, and at about 1 o’clock the couple drove to North Morenci to take the Wabash west.

There were 45 who took a special on the [unclear] & L.N., and returning they reached Adrian about 2 o’clock.

Source: Adrian Daily Telegram, September 17, 1897.

Sunday Wedding

Two Popular Young People Took the Matrimonial Vow at the Bride’s Home

At 6:30 o’clock last Sunday evening — a gracious time for the plighting of troth — two of our popular young people took the matrimonial vow at the home of the bride.

This was the marriage of Earl N. Baldwin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Baldwin, and Mertie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M.C. Rorick — a social happening of much intreest in which only immediate relatives participated, and a joyous bringing together of two prominent and well known families.

Rev. T.C. Jones, the congregational pastor, officiated, and after the ceremony supper was served to the company.

There is but a single day’s difference in the ages of the young people, who are approaching 22.

The bride is an estimable and accomplished young lady, who, following her high school graduation, successfully engaged in teaching. The bridgegroom is an energetic young man, of excellence business capacity, who for some time has been employed in G.W. Guss’s hardware store.

In happy youth they begin life together under most favorable circumstances, and we truly hope that they realize that which is heartily wished them by a host of relatives and friends.

Source: Lundahl, Helen Rorick. (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America. (NB: This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings.)

Mary Doyle Fiancee of Marvin Rorick, Jr.

TOLEDO, Ohio, Sept. 18 — At an informal reception this afternoon at Hawthorn house, their home here, Mr. and Mrs. John David Biggers announced the engagement of Mrs. Biggers’ daughter, Miss Mary Frances Doyle, to Marvin Horton Rorick, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Rorick of Perrysburg, Ohio.  The prospective bride’s father is Henry Watkins Doyle of Santa Barbara, Calif., formerly of New York.

Miss Doyle was graduated from the Ethel Walker School in Simsbury, Conn., and attended Vassar College.  Her fiancé is an alumnus of the Kent School and Yale College, where he was a member of Wolf’s Head.  He served for three years with the Twentieth Armored Car Division of the Field Artillery, which included service in Europe.

Source:  New York Times, September 19, 1948.

Mary Porter Rorick

Mary S. Porter, wife of the late Mark C. Rorick, was born in Seneca township Michigan April 17, 1850. She was the daughter of John C. Porter and Louisa (King) Porter, Pioneers of Lenawee County.

She was one of four children: Frank, who died at four years of age; Sylvester K. Porter, of South Pasadena, California; and Harriet Rorick of Morenci.

She received her education at the Medina Academy and was married in Medina to Mark C. Rorick August 9, 1868. They began housekeeping in a log house on the Rorick farm in Seneca township where they remained until their removal to Morenci April 1, 1895.

An unusual coincidence was the marriage of the sister Harriet to Mr. Rorick’s brother, Leroy W.

To Mr. and Mrs. Rorick were born three children: John Porter Rorick of Adrian; Myrtie C. Baldwin, wife of E.N. Baldwin of Howell: Maude L., who died in 1899 at the age of 14.

There are living 13 grandchildren, three great grandchildren, a niece Mrs. W.D. Murphy of Columbus, Oho, a nephew Cosper M. Rorick of Morenci.

Mr. Rorick died in Morenci February 6, 1922. Since that time Mrs. Rorick has lived a quiet, uneventful life within her home with her devoted companion.

Source: Lundahl, Helen Rorick. (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America. (NB: This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings.)

Kate Van Blarcom & Henry T. Kays

Newton, N.J., Aug. 14 — The marriage of Miss Kate Van Blarcom, of Newton, N.J., and Mr. Henry T. Kays, also of Newton, took place here on Saturday afternoon at about 4 o’clock in the home of the bride, 39 High street. Miss Van Blarcom is a sister of Prosecutor Lewis Van Blarcom of Sussex county and Andrew Van Blarcom, of Sussex county.

Mr. Kays is Sussex county general counsel and former Assemblyman from Sussex county for 1913, 1914 and 1915. At present he is a candidate for Democratic nomination for State Senator. The wedding ceremony was attended only by a few close relatives. Rev. Charles W. Rouse, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, officiated. The couple left immediately after the wedding for an automobile trip to Pennsylvania and will return Thursday.

Source: Middletown Times Press, August 14, 1918.

Lake Orion Young Man to Marry Pontiac Girl

Miss Betty Raymond, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Raymond, of Pontiac, and Gale Skinner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Skinner, of Lake Orion, will be united in marriage Saturday evening, September 5th, at 9:30 o’clock, at the First Christian church in Pontiac, of which they are both members.

The bride will wear a form fitting floor-length white satin gown, with a short veil held in place by orange blossoms. Her bouquet will be of garden flowers. Miss Violet Kinsey and James Kruse, of Lapeer, will be their attendants. Miss Kinsey’s dress will be of white silk net, trimmed with tiny pink rosebuds, and her corsage will be of sweetpeas.

Immediately following the ceremony a reception for sixty guests will take place at the home of the bride’s parents, on Huron street, Pontiac.

Mr. Skinner lived here for seven years and attended the Lake Orion High School. He is now employed as a meat cutter in a Pontiac store. The bride is a sister-in-law of Clarence Ceiling who managed the local Kroger store about seven years ago. Incidentally, the two attendants, Mr. Kruse and Miss Kinsey, expect to be married in November.

Source: Lake Orion Review, September 4, 1936.

Stole a March on Their Friends

Two Popular Young Couples Wedded Last Evening.

F. T. Sullivan and Miss Mable Rorick and Dr. Weber and Miss Flo Hedges In a Double Wedding.

A. double wedding of unusual interest, which took place at 7:30 Tuesday evening was that of Mr. Frederick T. Sullivan and Miss Mabel A. Rorick, and Dr. Kenneth L. Weber and Miss Florence H. Hedges. The ceremony was performed by Rev. H. Marshall Thurlow at his home on South Court Street.

The wedding was well planned and carried out. The young people drove to the Thurlow home unaccompanied by any of their friends or relatives and the ceremony was witnessed only by the immediate family of the officiating minister. The ceremony was pronounced in the Thurlow parlor.

The best-laid plans, however, are oft’times rudely shattered. Next door to the Thurlow home is the home of the Betas, and these enterprising young-men speedily acquainted themselves of the proceedings. The news was spread, and before the ceremony was completed a large crowd of friends had gathed [sic] to give the newly-wedded pairs a proper “send off.”

The couples were attended to the B. & O. depot by their enthusiastic friends, and every one on the train was made acquainted with the fact of the wedding. The two couples went to Chillicothe Tuesday evening and returned this morning.

Mrs. Sullivan is the only daughter of Superintendent and Mrs. E.H. Rorick, of the state hospital, and has made her home in Athens for a number of years, having attended the Ohio university. She is a very popular young lady, as is Mrs. Weber, who is the only daughter of Mayor S.E. Hedges. Mrs. Weber has been in the steward’s office at the state hospital for several months.

Mr. Sullivan, who graduated from the university in 1903, is with the Bell Telephone company, having held a responsible position with that corporation for several years. He is now located in Athens. Dr. Weber is an assistant physician at the state hospital, having come to the institution from his home in Cincinnati several months ago.

Both couples are today being overwhelmed with congratulations by their host of friends, who were most agreeably surprised at the news of their marriage.

Source: Athens Messenger, April 30, 1909

Edith Lauder & Linton B. Sutton

Riddlesburg, October 13 — Miss Edith Lauder, of this place, was married at her home Thursday evening, October 9, at 6 o’clock to Linton B. Sutton, of Johannesburg, South Africa, by Rev. George L. Comp, past of the Methodist Episcopal church at Hopewell.

The ceremony was beautiful and impressive. The bride was dressed in white taffeta covered with chiffon and carried a bouquet of roses and lilies of the valley. She was attended by her sisters, Misses Helen and Edna Lauder, who were very attractive in their white dresses. They carried large bouquets of pink roses. The groom’s best man was Frank Drake, of Duluth, chief engineer of the United States Steel company. The bride entered the room on the arm of her father to the strains of the wedding march from Lohengrin, played by Frank Cremer of Huntingdon. After the wedding a bountiful collation was served to the guests present, this being given in the reception room of the Lauder mansion, which was beautifully decorated with ferns, smilax and carnations.

The bridge is the daughter of William Lauder, general manager of the Colonial Iron company, Riddlesburg, and the Saxton Furnace company, Saxton. She is a graduate of Mountain seminary, Birmingham, and is a pretty and popular young woman. Mr. Sutton is a mining engineer and has for the past three years had a very lucrative position, being in charge of large mining interests for an English company at Johannesburg, Transvaal. He was in Poklep while that place was besieged for months by the Boers during the English-Boer war. Mr. and Mrs. Sutton will make their home in Johannesburg early in January, when Mr. Sutton will resume his duties in the diamond mines.

At 8 o’clock the bride and groom left for a trip to the west on a special train over the Broad Top road. Rice and old shoes, with the usual blessings, gave them a send-off that they will long remember. They will return to Riddlesburg before sailing for England, on their way to South Africa, in early December.

Among those present were Henry H. Adams, of New York, president of the Colonial Iron company; Hon. J.M. Reynolds and wife, of Bedford: Mr. and Mrs. George New, New Bloomfield; Miss McMurtrie, Clyde Port, Mrs. George F. Gage, C.M. Gage, general manager Huntingdon and Broad Top railroad, Fred Gage, Huntingdon; J.P. Sutton, Kansas City; Miss Davis, A. R. Grier, Birmingham; Charles H. Scott, president of the Saxton Furnace company, and wife, Philadelphia; Mr. and Mrs. L.B. Shaw, Riddlesburg.

Source: Bedford Gazette, October 17, 1902.

Death Strikes Attendant in Church Aisle

Wedding Continues at Port Jervis

Port Jervis — Miss [unclear] Cooper, twenty-[unclear] years old, wife of Stanley Cooper of eleven [unclear] avenue, walked solemnly down the middle aisle of St. Peter’s Lutheran here yesterday afternoon, a bridal attendant in the wedding of her friend A. Marian Van Sickle to Wallace Edgar Moore. The organist was playing the wedding march. Halfway down the aisle Mrs. Cooper collapsed in the arms of a bridesmaid, Miss Wilma Davidson.

Two men removed Mrs. Cooper to the basement of the church. She apparently had fainted. Dr. Hugh M. Brewster, city health officer, summoned from City Hall across the street pronounced her death [unclear] of a heart attack. Upstairs the wedding went on, with all concerned unaware of the fatal outcome

Then for an hour and a half, her father, husband, other relatives and more than a hundred persons stood outside the church, waiting anxiously, powerless to help, while a Rockland Power & Light pulmotor squad work feverishly but fruitlessly to bring life back into the body of Mrs. Cooper. The excitement of the wedding had apparently been too much for her. She had suffered heart attacks in the past but during the last few weeks had felt as her husband said later “best in a long time”. Mrs. Cooper’s body was removed to the Gray funeral home.

Meanwhile, Miss Van Sickle, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Van Sickle of four East Main street, had been united in marriage to Wallace Edgar Moore, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Wallace Moore of 233 East Main street. The Rev. H.C. Meyer, past of St. Paul’s, performed the ceremony.

Gowned in white marquisette and lace over white satin, a long white tulle veil, a long train with pear tiara and carrying an arm bouquet of white sweet peas and white snap dragons, the bride was given in marriage by her father.

The maid of honor, Miss Alice Van Sickle, work a pink brocaded marquisette floor-length gown and blue and pink sweat peas. The best man was Frederick Van Sickle, a brother of the bride.

Ushers were Harold and Raymond Doss, Clarence King and Clarence Edwards, all of Port Jervis. Miss Marietta Mori was organist and Mrs. Harrison Waits sang Because and I Love You Truly during the ceremony. The archway [unclear] the altar was was covered with sweet peas and palms and the altar was covered with flowers.

After the wedding a reception was held at the home of the bride’s parents with about seventy-five in attendance. Guests from out of town came from Long Island, Stony Point, Rutherford, New Jersey, Newton, New Jersey, Jeffersonville, Godeffroy, Long Eddy, Glen Rock, New Jersey, and Rio.

After a brief wedding trip the couple will reside in their newly-furnished home in Arlington, New Jersey where the bridegroom is employed by the Western Electric Company.

Funeral Wednesday

Funeral services for Mrs. Cooper will be held Wednesday morning at ten o’clock at the residence and at 10:30 in St. Mary’s Church. Interment will be in St. Mary’s Cemetery.

Mrs. Cooper was born in Matamoras November nineteenth, 1917, a daughter of Charles J. and Adeline [unclear] Theodore. Her mother died in 1927. She married July nineteenth, 1936 to Stanley D. Cooper of Port Jervis.

Mrs. Cooper, who was graduated from Port Jervis High School in 1936, was a member of St. Mary’s Church, the Catholic Daughters of America and Alpha Psi sorority.

Besides her husband, she leaves her father; her stepmother Mrs. Anna May Theodore; a brother, Charles; two sisters, Anna May at home, and Thelma, wife of James Clifford of Port Jervis; a stepbrother, Joseph Lehn; two stepsisters, Mrs. Mary Ellen Paffenroth and Mrs. Mildred Mayfield; and her grandmother, Mrs. Augusta Theodore;

Source: Middletown Times-Herald, March 3, 1941. (NB: The microfilm was very difficult to read.)

Clara M’Leod Fiancee

Sarah Lawrence Graduate is Engaged to Horton Rorick

Announcement has been made here by Mr. and Mrs. Walter H. McLeod of Missoula, Mont., of the engagement of their daughter, Clara Marsh, to Horton C. Rorick, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ceilan H. Rorick of Toledo, Ohio.

Miss McLeod studied at the Katherine Branson School in Ross, Calif., and was graduated last year from Sarah Lawrence College. She is a granddaughter of Mrs. Charles Stetson Wheeler of San Francisco and the late Mr. Wheeler and a niece of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Chambers of this city.

Mr. Rorick was graduated from the Hotchkiss School in 1941 and was attending Yale University when he entered the Navy, in which he served three years in the Atlantic, Mediterranean and Pacific theaters. He has resumed his studies at Yale.

Source: New York Times, May 16, 1947.