Mrs. A.J. Wood Died From Burns Suffered In Stove Explosion

No. McKenzie Street Woman Passed Away Last Night in Emma L. Bixby Hospital

2 Rescuers Also Burned

Explosion Blew Out Downstairs in House and Lifted Rugs From Floor

Mrs. Andrew J. Wood, aged 73 years, died at 8:30 o’clock last evening in the Emma L. Bixby hospital from burns she suffered about 2:25 o’clock yesterday afternoon in the explosion of a gas stove in the kitchen of her home at 204 North McKenzie Street.

Two other persons suffered burns while trying to rescue Mrs. Wood after the explosion. Paul Holloway, 17, employed by the Ward Motor Service on the St. Joseph Street side of the Wood residence, had his eyebrows singed. Mrs. Harold Lovitt, who lives next door on the McKenzie Street side, was painfully burned on her arms as she wrapped the unconscious woman in rugs. She was later attended by Dr. A.B. Hewes.

Continue reading “Mrs. A.J. Wood Died From Burns Suffered In Stove Explosion”

Andrew J. Wood

Andrew J. Wood, an Adrian resident for many years, died last night at 9:15 o’clock in the home of his daughter Mrs. Merle Sherman in Palmyra village. Death was the result of failing health from infirmities of age for the last two years. He was 80 years old.

Mr. Wood was born in Lenawee county and lived the greater part of his life in and near Adrian. He was a resident of Adrian since 1902 and the family home was at 204 North McKenzie Street until the death of his wife Lucy E. Wood May 6, 1936. Since then he has lived with his only daughter Mrs. Percy Sherman of Palmyra.

Continue reading “Andrew J. Wood”