Estate of Sidney E. Rorick

Notice is hereby given that as the executor of the estate of Sidney E. Rorick, deceased, I will sell at public sale to the highest bidder all of the real estate and personal property belonging to said estate. Sale will be held at the late home of the deceased on the 14th day of June, 1930, commencing at two o’clock. — W. C. Tyrrell, Executor

Source: Oxford Mirror, June 5, 1930.


Former Madera Woman Is Buried

Mrs. Malinda E. Walling Dies Near Fresno

Funeral services for Mrs. Malinda E. Walling, 86, formerly of Madera, were conducted in Fresno Saturday morning. Mrs. Walling died near Fresno Friday.

She leaves four sons, John C. and Jesse Walling, John C. and James Reynolds of Illinois; a daughter, Mrs. Wilbur Jarvis of Missouri; four granddaughters, Mrs. Ralph Millard and Mrs. J.P. Stanton, Miss Margaret Walling of Fresno and Mrs. Paul Beck of Los Angeles, and three grandsons, Curtis Walling of San Diego, Nelson Walling of Fowler and Frank Tyrrell of Honolulu.

Mrs. Walling was a native of Illinois.

Source: Madera Tribune, August 21, 1939.

A.E. Walling Dies Suddenly

Word was received in Madera today of the death of A.E. Walling of Fresno.  Mr. Walling made his home for many years in Madera where is well-known.

Death came suddenly after a period of illness lasting only two hours.

He is survived by his wife, one daughter, Mrs. Morton Tyrrell of Madera, Jess Walling of Orosi, George, Ernest and John Walling of Fresno.

Source:  Madera Tribune, November 26, 1923.

American Bank Asks For Guardianship Of Rorick Estate

The American National bank of Beaumont, through P.P. Butler, vice president, Wednesday filed application for guardianship of the estate of David Rorick, 19, of San Diego, Calif., the estate being valued at $83,100.

Rorick is the son of Mrs. Vinnie T. Rorick, deceased, who was a daughter of the late W.C. Tyrrell, Beaumont capitalist who died several years ago. Mrs. Rorick died last spring at Oceanside, Calif.

The estate in Texas for which guardianship is sought consists of real estate in Port Arthur valued at $60,000 and 3080 acres of land in Harris county valued at $23,100.

Source: Beaumont Journal, June 28, 1933.

Mrs. C.H. Rorick

Mrs. C.H. Rorick, of Oxford Mills, died Tuesday the 27th ult., after a long illness. She was born in New Jersey October 14, 1821, married to C.H. Rorick in 1836 and moved to Oxford Mills in 1858. Eight children were born to them—the late G.H. Rorick of Lowdon, Iowa; David Rorick, St. Louis, Mo.; Samuel Rorick, Oklahoma; D.D. Rorick, Oxford Junction; Mrs. W.E. [sic] Tyrrell, Belmond, Iowa; S.E. and Albert Rorick, Oxford Mills; Mrs. D.E. Strevelle, Yorktown, Canada. Rev. J.S. Westfall conducted the services, followed with interment in the Oxford Junction cemetery.

Source: Anamosa Eureka, September 5, 1901.

David Christie Tyrrell, Miss Lancaster to Wed In an April Ceremony

The engagement of Miss Evelyn Rachel Lancaster, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Samuel Lancaster of Sewanee, Tenn., to David Christie Tyrrell, Jr., is announced by her parents. All Saints Chapel, University of the South, Sewanee, will be the setting for the April 11 wedding.

Miss Sullivan attended school in Baghdad, Iraq, where her father, who is now Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences of Sewanee, was a Fulbright lecturer.

She is a graduate of St. Mary’s School, Sewanee, and of Hollins College, Va. At the Sorbonne where she studied for a year, she was awarded a diploma from the Cours de Civilisation Francaise. Her grandparents were the late Mr. and Mrs. Ulysse E. Desporte of Biloxi, Miss., and the late Mr. and Mrs. Robert Tazewell Lancaster, of Floyd, Va. She is now associated with Time, Inc. of New York City.

Mr. Tyrrell is a graduate of Byrd High School and Washington and Lee University, where he received a B.S. degree in Commerce. He was affiliated with Beta Theta Pi fraternity. His grandparents were the late Mr. and Mrs. William Casper Tyrrell of Beaumont, Tex., and the late Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Guy Sample of Shreveport. He is now associated with an advertising firm in New York.

Source: Shreveport Times, January 19, 1964.

Tyrrell Rites To Be Monday

BEAUMONT, July 24.—William Casper Tyrrell, 71,will be buried in Magnolia cemetery after funeral services here Monday morning. He died of heart disease and pneumonia Thursday night at his summer home in Belmond, Iowa, and the body is en route to Beaumont.

President of the Tyrrell trust, he was engaged in a variety of business enterprises.  Among his philanthropies was assistance to Tyrrell library, given to Beaumont as its first public library by his father, Captain W.C. Tyrrell.

A native of Rowan, Iowa, he was educated in the public schools of Belmond and the University of Iowa.  He came to Beaumont with his parents in 1901, and had made this his residence and the center of his activities since that time.

Surviving are his wife, Ella; four sons, Harry and W. Preston Tyrrell of Beaumont, Lt. David C. Tyrrell of Norfolk, Va., and William  Casper Tyrrell, Jr., of Belmond; a daughter, Mrs. Wesley W. Kyle, Jr., of Beaumont; a brother, Harry C. Tyrrell of Tulsa; and a sister, Mrs. J.W. Garth of Beaumont; and several grandchildren.

Source:  Port Arthur News, July 24, 1943.

Miss Sybil Tyrrell to Wed John Oliver G. Jenkins at St. Mark’s in Early Summer

Announcement has been made by Mr. and Mrs. David Christie Tyrrell of this city, of the betrothal of their daughter, Sybil, and John Oliver Geoffrey Jenkins of San Francisco, Calif.  He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Oswald Jenkins of Bourton, Dorset, England.

The Rev. David P. Comegys Jr, assisted by Dr. J. Lawrence Plumley, will hear their vows at high noon on July 15th.

Miss Tyrrell, who reigned as Queen of the Cotillion Court in 1957, attended Hollis College and received her Bachelor of Arts degree from Sophie Newcomb College. She made her debut in 1956 and is a member of Pi Beta Phi sorority.  She is a granddaughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Guy Sample of this city and Mrs. William Casper Tyrrell of Beaumont and the late Mr. Tyrrell.

Mr. Jenkins attended Merchison Castle School in Edinburgh and received his M.A. degree in 1957 from Emmanuel College, Cambridge University.

After their marriage they will live in San Francisco, Calif,, where the bridegroom-elect is with the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corp. of Calif.  Miss Tyrrell at present is research assistant, United States Public Health Grant in San Francisco.

Source:  Shreveport Times, June 4, 1961.

William C. Tyrrell to Wed Saturday

According to invitations received by friends, William Casper Tyrrell of Belmond, will be married to Miss Alice Katherine Sullivan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Sullivan of Rochelle, Ill., on September 13th, at the home of her uncle in Evanston, Ill. They will be home after October 1st at Beaumont, Tx.  The groom is known to local people as “Bill” Tyrrell.

Source:  Humboldt Republican, September 12, 1930.

Katherine Sample, David C. Tyrrell Are Married In St. Mark’s Church

The wedding of Katherine Gregg Sample and David Christie Tyrrell of Philadelphia, one of the most beautiful ever attended by Shreveport society, took place at 8 o’clock Tuesday evening in St. Mark’s Episcopal church. The ceremony was performed Rev. Dr. James M. Owens assisted by the Rev. Anson Phelps Stokes, Jr. After the service a formal reception was held in the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Guy Sample, on Jordan street.

The chancel was aisled with many calla lilies in high standards, woodwardia and multiple cathedral tapers in seven-arm candelabra.

While the guest were assembling, Mrs. H.R. Moore presented a nuptial recital—a half hour of organ music including “To An Evening Star” and the Prelude from Act III of “Lohengrin” (Wagner); “Nuptial Song” (DuBois) and “Cantable (Wilder), at the conclusion of which the vested choir of St. Mark’s entered in procession singing “The Voice That Breathes O’er Eden” followed by the playing of the Bridal Chorus from “Lohengrin” marked the entrance of the bridal party, an evening hymn was improvised during the service and the recessional was Mendelsohn’s “Wedding March”

First to enter were the groomsmen and ushers, Mr. Oliver Sample, Mr. Morton McMahon, Mr. Wilton Sample and Mr. Staunton Sample.

The graceful single file of brides-matrons include the bridegroom’s sister, Mrs. Carol Tyrrell Gilmore of Beaumont, Mrs. James A. Bolton of Alexandria and Mrs. Frances W. Scott, sister of the bride. They were facsimile gowns of amber-gold silk net tucked and fitted from yoke to hemline with circular ruching edging the shoulder capelet and floor-length skirt. The apple green velvet of their wide sashes matched the velvet ribbon bows on their formal bouquets of yellow calla lilies.

Similarly made of silk net tucked and ruched, but of pastel blue, was the gown of the lovely blonde maid of honor, Miss Betty Robinson. Her sash and the streamers of her yellow calla lilies bouquet were of lapis lazuli blue velvet.

The bride entering with her father, Mr. Samuel Guy Sample, who was to give her in marriage, appeared very beautiful in her Tafel wedding gown of old ivory stain fashioned calyx-like with a high corded collar[,] long tight sleeves tapering to a point and rows of covered buttons from elbow to wrist and from neckline to waist at the back. A veil of illusion caught to her dark hair with a shallow cap of Chantilly lace and a fillet of orange blossoms, extended the length of her long court train. She carried a formal bouquet of white calla lilies and calla leaves tied with white satin.

They were met at the chancel steps by the bridegroom and his best man, his brother, Mr. William C. Tyrrell, of Belmond, Iowa, who, like the groomsmen wore the bride’s favor, a gardenia boutonniere.

Mrs. Samuel Guy Sample chose for her daughter’s wedding a gown of gold brocaded lame. The groom’s mother, Mrs. William C. Tyrrell of Beaumont, wore a white brilliant-beaded gown with a formal train.

At the reception following, the guests were received in the hallway of the Sample home by Mrs. Douglas A. Lee and Mr. J. Reese Jones. In the drawing rooms, which were decorated with innumerable spring flowers, were the bride and groom and their attendants, Miss Robinson with Mr. William C. Tyrrell, Mrs. Bolton with Mr. Wilton Sample, Mrs. Gilmore and Mr. Oliver Sample, Mrs. Scott with Mr. Staunton Sample, and Mr. Morton McMahon; the hosts, Mr. and Mrs. Sample with Mr. and Mrs. William C. Tyrrell, Sr., Mr. James A. Bolton and Mrs. William C. Tyrrell, Jr., Francis W. Scott and Mrs. J.W. Garth of Beaumont; and Mr. and Mrs. Harry C. Tyrrell of Beaumont; Mr. and Mrs. Sidney J. Harman; Mr. and Mrs. Edward R. Jones, Miss Elsie Jones and Mrs. B.M. Bryan of Washington, D.C.

In the dining room the bride’s table was centered with a tiered wedding cake crowned with a spray of valley lilies. At the ends of the lace-covered oval were identical punch bowls of antique silver, gold lined. On buffet and serving tables were pale yellow souvenir roses and ivory tapers in silvel [sic] candelabra. Ices in yellow rose molds, little tiered sandwiches and embossed cakes and confections were served. Presiding or assisting in the dining room were Miss Lena Jones, Mrs. Delia Gahagan, Mrs. Hill Shepherd, Miss Minnie Well, Miss Nora Laskey, Mrs. Walter B. Chandler, Miss Josephine Hardin and Mrs. Samuel Webb Smith.

Later in the evening the bridal couple left for their honeymoon in New York City, Mrs. Tyrrell wearing a very smart costume suit of ruby-tone crepe with collar, cuffs and pockets of kolinsky and a peaked toque. They are to arrive in Philadelphia in a fortnight where they will have an apartment at Bryn Mawr Gables, Bryn Mawr, PA. Their attractive remembrances to their attendants were lame evening bags from the bride and leather travel cases from the groom.

Katherine Sample Tyrrell is the younger daughter of prominent parents and one of the most charming young personalities in society. She is a Junior Leaguer, a graduate of Gardner School in New York and a former student of the National Cathedral School in Washington, D.C.

Mr. Tyrrell, the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. William Casper Tyrrell, is a member of a noteworthy Texas and Iowa family. He was educated in the east and is a graduate of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. His fraternity is Sigma Chi.

Notable among out-of-town guests were Mr. and Mrs. J. Cooke Wilson of Beaumont.

Source: Shreveport Times, January 27, 1935.