Service Colm [sic]

Lincoln—According to a message sent by Pvt. John Walling, former Lincoln boy who was stationed at Fort Lewis, to his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tracy Walling, he has now been sent to New York. Pvt. Walling’s mother was recently stricken with a serious illness and he was here on a short visit about three weeks ago.

Source: Salem Capital Journal, February 19, 1944.


Servicewomen: What they can do, what they’re doing about it

AMITY—Miss Marjorie Walling, who is visiting her mother, Mrs. Eva Purvine, on Nursery street, spent the weekend in Portland. Miss Walling recently enlisted with the WAVES as an apprentice seaman and will leave about December 15 for Cedar Falls, Iowa, where she will take up radio work. For some time she has been manager of Bill’s Beauty shop in Hollywood, Portland, and was an officer of the mayor’s emergency corps of that city.

Miss Walling is a graduate of Salem high school and later attended business school in Salem. She is a granddaughter of the late Jesse D. Walling of Spring Valley, Oregon pioneer, and a niece of Congressman James W. Mott.

Source: Salem Statesman Journal, December 6, 1942.

Service Men: Where They Are, What They’re Doing (Excerpt)

Pvt. Glenn Alvin Walling, son of Mrs. Delpha Walling of the Keizer district, was granted a ten-day leave to visit his mother, upon receipt of word of the death of his brother Lowell, serving with the navy. He returned Sunday to his post with the US artillery at Camp McQuaide, San Francisco.

While here, he visited his mother, wife and stepson, Larry Morrow, and celebrated his 27th birthday at a party at his mother’s home. Present were Mr. and Mrs. Walter Coonse and Dick, Salem, Mrs. Maxine Moe, Portland, Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Walling and Larry, Mrs. L.O. Coonse and Mrs. Delpha Walling.

Source: Salem Statesman Journal, September 16, 1942.

L.A. Walling Dies; Action With Navy

KEIZER, Sept. 11—Mrs. Delpha Walling has received word from the Navy department that her son, Lowell Arthur Walling, 31, has died of wounds received in action. He had a rating as first class seaman and gun pointer.

Lowell Arthur Walling was the oldest son of Mrs. Walling and the late Chester Walling and was born on South Prairie, near here, September 14, 1911. He attended school in Silverton and enlisted in the navy January 23, 1941. He had not been home since he went to sea in March, 191 [sic]. His last letter home was written July 6, 1942.

Continue reading “L.A. Walling Dies; Action With Navy”

Service Men: Where They Are, What They’re Doing (Excerpt)

MISSION BOTTOM—Mrs. Delsha [sic] Walling, Salem route two, recently received letters from her two sons in the armed forces. Lowell Arthur Walling, United States navy, is somewhere with the Pacific fleet.

Pvt. Glenn Alvin Walling of the coast artillery is stationed at Camp Callen, San Diego, Cal.

Mrs. Walling has five nephews serving with the United States armed forces. Jack and Bill Eppers are with the marines, Billy Coonse is in the navy, Bob Walling is in the army air corps, and Joe Weidner is in the army.

Source: Salem Statesman Journal, July 18, 1942.

Walling Son Is Born

A son, who has been named John Curtis Walling, was born January 22nd in San Diego to Mr. and Mrs. Curtis R. Walling of that city.  Walling is the son of Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Walling of Fowler and a brother of Mrs. Ralph W. Millard of this city.  Mrs. Walling is the former Helen MacPherson of San Diego.

Source:  Fresno Bee Republican, February 11, 1938.

Wallings Reach Golden Wedding Day

Mr. and Mrs. Sidney D. Walling will hold open house Sunday, Oct. 12th, at their home, 633 W. 8th Ave., in observance of their golden wedding anniversary. Friends are invited to call between 2 and 5 p.m.

Nettie (Ingram) Walling was born and raised in Richhill, Mo., and Sidney Walling in Boise, Idaho. They were married in Portland, Ore., in 1908, moved to Idaho and homesteaded a ranch. Mr. Walling later was a trucker and dairyman.

Continue reading “Wallings Reach Golden Wedding Day”

Gary Walling Takes Bride At Corvallis Ceremony, To Reside In Tacoma

The newly married Mr. and Mrs. Gary R. Walling are now at home in Tacoma, Wash., after returning from a wedding trip to San Francisco. The bridegroom is assistant credit manager at Rhodes Department Store in Tacoma.

The bride, the former Virginia Shandrena House, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Virgil M. House of Corvallis. The bridegroom, a graduate of North Salem High, is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford R. Walling of Salem.

Continue reading “Gary Walling Takes Bride At Corvallis Ceremony, To Reside In Tacoma”

Pre-Nuptial Parties Held For Virginia House Of Corvallis

Miss Virginia House has been the guest of honor at several pre-nuptial parties during the past few weeks. Miss House, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Virgil E. House, is the bride to be of Gary R. Walling, Tacoma, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Walling of Salem. The couple will be wed at the First Methodist Church Corvallis on Sunday. The couple will make their home in Tacoma where Mr. Walling is assistant credit manager of Rhodes department store.

A miscellaneous shower and dessert party was given by Mrs. Royal Doty, 4050 Philomath Road, Oct. 13th with Mrs. Merle Doty and Mrs. Leland Dudley as co-hostesses. A table with a sheet cake decorated with a large open umbrella and wedding bells was the center of attraction surrounded with the many gifts. Continue reading “Pre-Nuptial Parties Held For Virginia House Of Corvallis”

Jesse D. Walling

Late resident of 450 Cross Street S.E. Salem, Ore., Sat. June 25 in a local nursing home. Survived by son, Jesse D. Walling, Jr., Eugene; brother Harold Walling, Salem; four grandchildren, Roger Walling, Juneau, Alaska, Randy Walling, Roseburg, Sabrina Walling, Roseburg, Kathy Walling, Portland. Services will be held Tues. June 28, 1:30 p.m. at the BARRICK CHAPEL, 205 Church SE. Rev. Charles Shorrow officiating. Vault interment Zena Cemetery, Salem. Family suggests contributions may be made to American Cancer Society, 1645 12th St. S.E. Salem, 97302.

Source: Salem Capital Journal, June 27, 1977.