GRUBBS—At the family home, Selba, California, Saturday, December 5, 1903, at 4 o’clock p.m., Dill [sic] Loraine Walling-Grubb [sic], aged 42 years, 7 months and 25 days, while undergoing a surgical operation.
Deceased was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Walling, of Zena, Polk county, and was born April 12, 1861. She was a member of the Methodist church and a devoted Christian. In 1886 she was united in marriage to L.B. Grubbs, formerly of Polk county. Besides a bereaved husband she leaves one son, Harold. She was a sister of Mrs. S.S. Gimble, of this city; Mrs. O.S. Pomeroy, of Woodburn; Mrs. F.W. Peaslee, of Zena; John, Jesse and Grant Walling of Lincoln, Polk county; B.F. Walling of Nampa, Idaho; Mrs. Olive Morris, Seattle, Washington; Mrs. Stella Johnson, Mrs. Pheba [sic] McGrew, Jennie Glandon, of Portland, and Mrs. W.M. Toner, of Yaquina, Oregon. She has a host of friends who will mourn her demise very deeply.
Source: Oregon Statesman, December 11, 1903.
In a ceremony held last Saturday evening at the Chapel of the Rocks and Roses, Miss Marjorie Alice McGrew became the bride of Wendell M. Vaughn. The bride’s parents are Mr. and Mrs. Melvin McGrew, 995 South Oakdale avenue, and the groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Vaughn of Trail.
The double-ring ceremony was performed by Rev. D.E. Millard in a setting of garden flowers. Soloist was Mrs. Ernest Lytle, accompanied by Mrs. Millard, and Mrs. Millard played the wedding marches.
Miss McGrew, whose father gave her in marriage, was gowned in white net and lace over taffeta. The dress was designed with a long train and was worn with a finger-tip length veil falling from a tiara of seed pearls. Her bouquet was of bride’s roses and stephanotis.
Continue reading “Marjorie McGrew, Wendell Vaughn Wedded at Chapel”
Kenneth Gunton is slowly improving at his home following four weeks in Nesbitt Memorial Hospital where he submitted to an operation. (Wilkes-Barre Record, January 21, 1950)
Miss Mary Eveland, student nurse at Memorial Hospital, Easton, was a recent weekend guest of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Eveland. (Easton Star-Democrat, January 25, 1950)
Maj. Thomas Eveland, Washington, D.C., spent the weekend with his family here. (Easton Star-Gazette, January 27, 1950)
Continue reading “Short News Items from 1950”
Curtis McGrew and Andy Briner are cutting wood for Wm. Roberts up at the Wagner Gap. (Medford Mail Tribune, January 3, 1939)
PORTOLA, Calif., March 3.—Miss Barbara Loosley and Miss Lala [sic] Loosley, who have been residing in Portola with their grandmother, Mrs. H.A. Weir, have returned to their home in Beckwourth. (Nevada State Journal, March 4, 1939)
Mrs. Eleanor McGrew and daughter, Jean, have moved to Yocolt [sic], Wash., where Mr. McGrew is working. (Medford Mail Tribune, June 13, 1939)
Continue reading “Short News Items from 1939”
A birthday dinner in honor of Mrs. Mabel Briner was given at her home, February 20. Guests were: Mr. and Mrs. C.A. McGrew, Mrs. Ella Mae McGrew, Mr. and Mrs. Lyle Briner and daughter, Rose Elfa, Mrs. Elfa Green, and a sister of Mrs. Briner who is visiting from Portland. (Medford Mail Tribune, February 22, 1935)
Fort Klamath, Ore.—Mr. and Mrs. Fred Loosley left Wednesday for Merrill, where they will spend some time visiting their son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. John Zbinden. (Klamath Falls Evening Herald, November 13, 1935)
Mr. and Mrs. Earl Baldwin, Mr. and Mrs. Duane Baldwin and Mr. and Mrs. Earl Baldwin’s son of Tecumseh, Michigan, left Sunday for northern Michigan on a deer hunting expedition. (Livingston County Daily Press, November 20, 1935)
Mr. and Mrs. M.W. McGrew and family of the Klamath Junction, accompanied by C.A. McGrew spent last Sunday afternoon at the home of Mr. and Mrs. G.A. Briner. (Medford Mail Tribune, February 12, 1932)
Mrs. J.L. Shauger is ill in the home of her son Joseph Isaacson at 226 Ormsby Street. (Adrian Daily Telegram, April 7, 1932)
Mr. and Mrs. William Brightman, four Prospect street, have returned home after spending their vacation in Asbury Park. (Middletown Times Herald, August 20, 1932)
Zelora Armstrong and a Mr. Quinn, Des Moines, came Saturday for the pheasant hunting, and Mrs. J.A. Armstrong accompanied them to Stephen Sharp’s, where the men hunted. The visitors spent Saturday afternoon at J.A. Armstrong’s, returning to Des Moines Sunday. (Kossuth County Advance, November 24, 1932)
Mr. and Mrs. Horton C. Rorick of Toledo, who are spending the season at the Everglades Club, entertain there frequently, and on Thursday evening at the regular dinner dance, asked a number of their friends to join them. (Palm Beach Post, February 10, 1929)
Ceilan Rorick had enjoyed a dip in the pool and was joined by Thomas Kenny and Horton C. Rorick. Mr. and Mrs. Horton C. Rorick had for dinner guests at the Everglades Sunday evening: Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. Ceilan Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. G. Bryan Pitts, Richard McAllister and John Raskob. (Palm Beach Post, March 19, 1929)
Mr. and Mrs. Horton C. Rorick were on the beach with Miss Mary Kenny, who left them early to join the happy swimming group which included William Kenny, Thomas Kenny and John J. Raskob. (Palm Beach Post, March 26, 1929)
Continue reading “Short News Items from 1929”
The annual meeting of the stockholders of the Farmers’ National Bank was held at the banking rooms in Sussex Tuesday afternoon. Directors elected were: Charles G. Wilson, Theodore F. Northrup, Frank Holbert, Samuel S. Vandruff, Elihu Adams, William A. Roy, James R. Kincaid, Ford W. Margarum, J. Merritt Willson. The directors organized by electing Ford W. Margarum president; Frank Holbert, cashier; and Theodore M. Holbert, assistant cashier. (Middletown Times Press, January 13, 1917)
The big store is now conducted by M.F. Loosley and sons. The three sons, Harold A., Edward and Harry R., assuming a partnership with their father dating from January 1, 1917. (Portola Sentinel, January 27, 1917)
Continue reading “Business & Professional Notices from 1917”
T.E. Mackrell, superintendent of the C. & E., division will return Friday morning with the family on Erie train No. 7 from Warwick, N.Y., where his daughter, Miss Helen Mackrell, was buried. (Huntington Herald, January 7, 1915)
George Strickland, assistant cashier of the First National bank, left last evening for Minneapolis where he will spend today on business. (Bemidji Daily Pioneer, January 18, 1915)
Continue reading “Short News Items from 1915”
LITTLE INTEREST IN U.S. PAPERS: August Donath, superintendent of documents in the government printing office, last night, before the District of Columbia Library Association, deplored the little interest taken in United States papers by some educational institutions, and spoke of the need of new methods of distribution. Robert A. Church, of the Navy Department, spoke on “Ship Libraries of the United States Navy.” Alton P. Tisdel, Dr. Henry J. Harris, George F. Bowerman, and Willard O. Waters also spoke. (Washington Post, January 16, 1913)
C.A. McGrew came down from Wagner Butte, where he has a quartz came, recently, and he is showing some samples of ore that look pretty good. There shows up quite a sprinkling of tulurian and other metals, while the assay of some pieces shows as high as $300 a ton. (Ashland Tidings, February 20, 1913)
Clarion — The biggest real estate deal ever made in the history of Wright county was made last week when W.C. Tyrrell and his son exchanged farms. The son owned a large farm near Latimer and the father, well known throughout the county and state, owned a farm of nearly 2,000 acres two miles south of Belmont [sic]. They traded farms, the value of the latter farm near Belmond being placed at $80,000. (Correctionville News, February 6, 1913)