Rev. Myra Hutchinson delivered the first sermon of the new conference year from the Methodist pulpit at Harrisburg, Ore., Sunday. She was appointed to succeed her husband, the Rev. W.V. Hutchinson, who succeeds her in the pulpit at Junction City. (Medford Mail Tribune, September 29, 1924)
Permission to sell a soda fountain, part of the estate of George W. Hershner, to John Rochelle for $55 was authorized by Justice Clarence Mprphy [sic], according to an entry filed in common pleas court. The application was made by Carl Antenen, receiver of the estate. (Hamilton Evening Journal, October 7, 1924)
Rorick’s collegians jazzed the Kiwanis club luncheon up today, playing all sorts and conditions of music, and setting the staid business men of the club tapping on the floor with their toes. (Corvallis Gazette-Times, October 22, 1924)
Leroy friends received word that Glenn T. Ballentine has received appointment as directory clerk in the Long Beach, Cal., postoffice. Mr. Ballentine stood third highest among the 102 applicants who took the Civil Service examination. Mr. Ballentine and his wife, who was formerly Miss Pearl Rutledge of Leroy have many friends here who will be glad to know of his new position. Mr. and Mrs. Ballentine have purchased a new five room bungalow at 1[unclear] Cerritos Ave., Long Beach, Cal., where they expect to make their permanent home. (Bloomington Pantagraph, February 2, 1923)
W.V. Hutchinson of Wilderville was appointed by the recent annual M.E. conference to serve the Methodist churches here and at Junction City for the coming church year. Rev. Hutchinson will deliver his first sermon here Sunday evening. Rev. C.T. Cook of Halsey and who supplied the local charge last year, was transferred to Stayton. (Albany Evening Herald, September 24, 1923)
Continue reading “Business & Professional Notices from 1923”
Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rorick, of East Buffalo, N.Y., arrived today and are located with Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Rowlader at 115 Live Oak avenue. Mr. Rorick is a member of the firm Sadler, Rorick and company, the largest live stock dealers of East Buffalo. Mr. and Mrs. Rorick are making their first visit to Daytona. (Daytona Daily News, January 21, 1916)
W.V. Hutchinson and family are in town. They leave in a few days for Glendale, Ore., where Mr. Hutchison expects to go into the diary business. (Hood River Glacier, April 6, 1916)
Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Strickland left Saturday night for Des Moines, Ia., where they will spend the next two weeks visiting with relatives and friends. (Bemidji Daily Pioneer, April 24, 1916)
Continue reading “Short News Items from 1916”
T.E. Mackrell, superintendent of the C. & E., division will return Friday morning with the family on Erie train No. 7 from Warwick, N.Y., where his daughter, Miss Helen Mackrell, was buried. (Huntington Herald, January 7, 1915)
George Strickland, assistant cashier of the First National bank, left last evening for Minneapolis where he will spend today on business. (Bemidji Daily Pioneer, January 18, 1915)
Continue reading “Short News Items from 1915”
KLAMATH FALLS, Or., April 13. — (Special.) — Marion F. Loosley, a pioneer of the Wood River Valley at the north end of Upper Klamath Lake, has just closed a deal with M.L. Erickson, supervisor of the Crater National Forest, for the purchase of 30,000,000 feet of fine timber on that forest reserve. The land lies on Seven-Mile Creek and embraces 2500 acres heavily timbered with yellow and sugar pine, Douglas and white fir. The price paid for the timber is: Yellow and sugar pine, $3.25 per thousand; Douglas fir, $2.25, and white fir, $1.35. Mr. Loosley was formerly in the sawmill business on a small scale in the Wood River Valley, but for several years devoted his attention to cattle raising. It is understood that he has ordered machinery to establish a mill on Seven-Mile Creek to cut up the timber he has purchased. The mill is to be within a short distance of the edge of the lake, where water transportation can be had near the Oregon Trunk road, which is surveyed through from Medford to tap the big timber belt north of here. (Portland Oregonian, April 14, 1911)
Continue reading “Business & Professional Notices from 1911”
Wing & Bostwick, the Lawrenceville storekeepers, have set up a gasoline engine in their establishment to furnish power for their lighting apparatus. (Wellsboro Gazette, January 31, 1900)
J.T. Rorick last week cut a field of rye on the old Frank Taylor place across the river from The Dalles, Or., that average in height six feet and eight inches. Mr. Rorick says it beat any rye crop he ever saw. (The Hood River Glacier, June 8, 1900)
Mr. W.W. Hutchinson, of Lawrenceville, has bought and will continue the coal business established by his father-in-law, the late Hon. George T. Losey. (Wellsboro Agitator, June 13, 1900)
J.W. Linderman arrived home Sunday evening, for a few days visit. He reports the hotel at Seney, of the building of which he has had charge, approaching completion, and thinks the carpentry work will be finished about the first of next month. The hotel is considerable of a house, the main building being 55×25 feet, two stories high, with an L 25×32 feet, the same height, with two one story additions in the rear, one 17×32 feet, and the other 9×11½ feet. About the first of February he will his take his force of men to McMillan station to put up a hotel there, somewhat larger than the one at Seney. It is to be two stories, with mansard roof, and of a very neat design. (Cheboygan Northern Tribune, January 27, 1883)
Continue reading “Business & Professional Notices from 1883”
Rev. Myra Hutchinson, associate pastor at Junction City and Harrisburg is taking the examination at the Methodist church preparatory to ordination next Sunday. Mrs. Hutchinson will be the first woman ordained by the Methodist church in Oregon and one of the first anywhere, as the General Session in Springfield, Mass., made it possible for the first time.
Source: Medford Mail Tribune, September 16, 1924.
SPRINGFIELD, Ore., Jan. 4.—W.V. Hutchinson of this city, has accepted a position as clerk in the Fifth Street grocery owned and operated by R.W. Smith. Mr. Hutchinson recently resigned his position as mail carrier on route No. 2 out of Springfield. Bruce Lansbury carried the mail Thursday morning as J.F. Hanekamp, of Eugene, who was to have taken the route, failed to appear.
Source: Eugene Morning Register, January 5, 1918.
Mr. and Mrs. W.V. Hutchinson and daughter, Myra Adell, came down this morning from Cottage Grover where they have been attending the Methodist camp meeting. They will go on in a few days to their house at Canyonville where Mr. Hutchinson is a lay preacher in the Methodist church. They formerly lived in Eugene and will visit with friends here.
Source: Eugene Guard, August 23, 1921.