Katherine Sample, David C. Tyrrell Are Married In St. Mark’s Church

The wedding of Katherine Gregg Sample and David Christie Tyrrell of Philadelphia, one of the most beautiful ever attended by Shreveport society, took place at 8 o’clock Tuesday evening in St. Mark’s Episcopal church. The ceremony was performed Rev. Dr. James M. Owens assisted by the Rev. Anson Phelps Stokes, Jr. After the service a formal reception was held in the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Guy Sample, on Jordan street.

The chancel was aisled with many calla lilies in high standards, woodwardia and multiple cathedral tapers in seven-arm candelabra.

While the guest were assembling, Mrs. H.R. Moore presented a nuptial recital—a half hour of organ music including “To An Evening Star” and the Prelude from Act III of “Lohengrin” (Wagner); “Nuptial Song” (DuBois) and “Cantable (Wilder), at the conclusion of which the vested choir of St. Mark’s entered in procession singing “The Voice That Breathes O’er Eden” followed by the playing of the Bridal Chorus from “Lohengrin” marked the entrance of the bridal party, an evening hymn was improvised during the service and the recessional was Mendelsohn’s “Wedding March”

First to enter were the groomsmen and ushers, Mr. Oliver Sample, Mr. Morton McMahon, Mr. Wilton Sample and Mr. Staunton Sample.

The graceful single file of brides-matrons include the bridegroom’s sister, Mrs. Carol Tyrrell Gilmore of Beaumont, Mrs. James A. Bolton of Alexandria and Mrs. Frances W. Scott, sister of the bride. They were facsimile gowns of amber-gold silk net tucked and fitted from yoke to hemline with circular ruching edging the shoulder capelet and floor-length skirt. The apple green velvet of their wide sashes matched the velvet ribbon bows on their formal bouquets of yellow calla lilies.

Similarly made of silk net tucked and ruched, but of pastel blue, was the gown of the lovely blonde maid of honor, Miss Betty Robinson. Her sash and the streamers of her yellow calla lilies bouquet were of lapis lazuli blue velvet.

The bride entering with her father, Mr. Samuel Guy Sample, who was to give her in marriage, appeared very beautiful in her Tafel wedding gown of old ivory stain fashioned calyx-like with a high corded collar[,] long tight sleeves tapering to a point and rows of covered buttons from elbow to wrist and from neckline to waist at the back. A veil of illusion caught to her dark hair with a shallow cap of Chantilly lace and a fillet of orange blossoms, extended the length of her long court train. She carried a formal bouquet of white calla lilies and calla leaves tied with white satin.

They were met at the chancel steps by the bridegroom and his best man, his brother, Mr. William C. Tyrrell, of Belmond, Iowa, who, like the groomsmen wore the bride’s favor, a gardenia boutonniere.

Mrs. Samuel Guy Sample chose for her daughter’s wedding a gown of gold brocaded lame. The groom’s mother, Mrs. William C. Tyrrell of Beaumont, wore a white brilliant-beaded gown with a formal train.

At the reception following, the guests were received in the hallway of the Sample home by Mrs. Douglas A. Lee and Mr. J. Reese Jones. In the drawing rooms, which were decorated with innumerable spring flowers, were the bride and groom and their attendants, Miss Robinson with Mr. William C. Tyrrell, Mrs. Bolton with Mr. Wilton Sample, Mrs. Gilmore and Mr. Oliver Sample, Mrs. Scott with Mr. Staunton Sample, and Mr. Morton McMahon; the hosts, Mr. and Mrs. Sample with Mr. and Mrs. William C. Tyrrell, Sr., Mr. James A. Bolton and Mrs. William C. Tyrrell, Jr., Francis W. Scott and Mrs. J.W. Garth of Beaumont; and Mr. and Mrs. Harry C. Tyrrell of Beaumont; Mr. and Mrs. Sidney J. Harman; Mr. and Mrs. Edward R. Jones, Miss Elsie Jones and Mrs. B.M. Bryan of Washington, D.C.

In the dining room the bride’s table was centered with a tiered wedding cake crowned with a spray of valley lilies. At the ends of the lace-covered oval were identical punch bowls of antique silver, gold lined. On buffet and serving tables were pale yellow souvenir roses and ivory tapers in silvel [sic] candelabra. Ices in yellow rose molds, little tiered sandwiches and embossed cakes and confections were served. Presiding or assisting in the dining room were Miss Lena Jones, Mrs. Delia Gahagan, Mrs. Hill Shepherd, Miss Minnie Well, Miss Nora Laskey, Mrs. Walter B. Chandler, Miss Josephine Hardin and Mrs. Samuel Webb Smith.

Later in the evening the bridal couple left for their honeymoon in New York City, Mrs. Tyrrell wearing a very smart costume suit of ruby-tone crepe with collar, cuffs and pockets of kolinsky and a peaked toque. They are to arrive in Philadelphia in a fortnight where they will have an apartment at Bryn Mawr Gables, Bryn Mawr, PA. Their attractive remembrances to their attendants were lame evening bags from the bride and leather travel cases from the groom.

Katherine Sample Tyrrell is the younger daughter of prominent parents and one of the most charming young personalities in society. She is a Junior Leaguer, a graduate of Gardner School in New York and a former student of the National Cathedral School in Washington, D.C.

Mr. Tyrrell, the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. William Casper Tyrrell, is a member of a noteworthy Texas and Iowa family. He was educated in the east and is a graduate of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. His fraternity is Sigma Chi.

Notable among out-of-town guests were Mr. and Mrs. J. Cooke Wilson of Beaumont.

Source: Shreveport Times, January 27, 1935.

Advertisements

Small Town News from Various Points

Mr. and Mrs. William L. Barclay, of East Ferry avenue, and their guests, Mrs. J. Ford Sutton and Mr. I. Hickman, who have been at their summer home at Bay View, Mich., returned home. (Detroit Free Press, December 9, 1917).

The following officers were elected by the Laurel Run borough school board: President, E.N. Johnson; vice president, Evan Griffith; secretary, Benjamin Belles; treasurer, Edward Chubb; solicitor, Chaz. Loveland. (Wilkes-Barre Times, December 11, 1907)

Dr. Rorick Bennett, and her daughter, Mrs. Clark, who have been occupying the Tilden residence [in Kensington, MD] for the past year, expect to return to Detroit, their former home, in the next year. (Washington Post, November 21, 1915)

Mr. and Mrs. Robert Dilts have left for Morristown, N.J., where Mr. Dilts will begin his law practice. A June graduate of the University of Michigan law school, Mr. Dilts passed his Iowa bar examination Saturday. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Dilts, 1212 Lincoln way. (Ames Daily Tribune, June 27, 1950)

Lincoln—Mrs. Russell Gallagher of Colon, Canal Zone, was a guest here Sunday at the home of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Walling. Mrs. Gallagher (Marjorie Walling), formerly lived in this neighborhood and attended the school here. Miss Gertrude Walling of Portland was also a guest at the Walling home Sunday and was accompanied back to Portland by Mrs. Gallagher. (Daily Capital Journal, June 20, 1934)

Mr. and Mrs. Harper Gallup of Detroit spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. Charles E. Gallup. (Ann Arbor News, December 4, 1917)

Miss Hazel Gallup has returned from Union City and will spend the summer at her home here. Mr. and Mrs. Harper Gallup of Detroit were guests of Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Gallup over the week-end. (Ann Arbor News, June 25, 1918)

REDDING, Aug. 11. — Mrs. E. Gardner, wife of a prominent dentist of this city, killed a black bear weighing 450 pounds on Noshana Creek, near Gregory, yesterday. While strolling from camp, rifle in hand, she saw two bears facing her in the road. The animals started towards her and she raised the rifle and shot one dead in its tracks. The other escaped. Mrs. Gardner’s daughter, Mrs. A.F. Dobrowsky, bagged three buck deer the same day. (San Jose Mercury News, August 11, 1905)

THIRTY YEARS AGO (1929): Mrs. Rose Garth who returned Friday from a visit with Dr. and Mrs. J.W. Garth at Beaumont, Texas brought with her the $1,000 donation “Dr. Will” made to the Clarion Library. (Wright County Monitor, November 19, 1959)

Misses Blanche Hightower and Agnes Devin were visitors to Bellingham on Friday. (Bellingham Herald, May 15, 1910)

Miss Eva Johnson, who has been motoring through the Willamette valley and has visited at the John Walling ranch, near Salem, is expected home today. Miss Elva Johnson has returned from a fortnight’s visit on Sauvies’ Island, where she was the guest of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Paquet at their Oak Grove Ridge ranch. (Portland Oregonian, September 2, 1915)

The Misses Eva and Elva Johnson are at Yaquina Bay, enjoying the salmon trolling. They are the guests of their aunt, Mrs. W.M. Toner. (Portland Oregonian, September 6, 1916)

Mr. J.W. Linderman is entertaining Mr. J. Sutton, of Cheboygan. (Detroit Free Press, February 22, 1855)

James W. Garth

Beaumont, Nov. 26 (AP) — Dr. J.W. Garth, 62, widely known southeast Texas philanthropist and donor of a building to newsboys in connection with the new Y.M.C.A here, died today after a long illness. He came from Iowa two years ago.

Source: Port Arthur News, November 26, 1929.

Sidney E. Rorick

Sidney E. Rorick was born in Franklin county, Ohio, on October 31, 1849, the son of C.H. and Julia F. Rorick. In 1859 he came with his parents to Iowa and first settled on the farm later known as the Rorick farm south of Oxford Mills. The first home was a log cabin.

In 1876 he was married to Miss Charity Green. They began housekeeping on the farm home, improving it as they were able until their removal to Oxford Mills in 1900. Two children were born to this union, Cornelius H. and Edna, both of whose lives were closed years ago. Mrs. Rorick died on March 22, 1927.

Mr. Rorick’s life began to fail over a year ago. A serious illness then nearly claimed his life but when practically all hope was abandoned for his recovery a change was noted and improvement came slowly but surely. This past fall Mr. Rorick went to California hoping to escape the dreaded winter months but the climate did not agree with him and he returned here to his home. Soon afterwards he became seriously ill but warded off the approaching end for weeks.

One brother, D.D. Rorick of Monticello, is the only living near relative.

Mr. Rorick was a member of Zealous Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and had belonged to the Owls.

Services were held at the M.E. church at Oxford Mills Monday afternoon, Rev. Wolgemuth of the Lutheran church officiating, assisted by the Lutheran choir and the members of the Masonic order, who conducted the commitment ceremonies. He was laid to rest in the family lot beside his wife in the Mayflower cemetery.

Those from a distance who attended the funeral of S.E. Rorick were his brother, D.D. Rorick of Monticello, Iowa; Mrs. Winnie Ottsen of Rock Island, Ill., and the following nieces and nephews, Mrs. J.W. Garth and W.C. Tyrrell of Beaumont, Texas; Preston Tyrrell of Belmond, Iowa; Mrs. Woodward of Olin; and Mrs. Wilkinson.

Source: Oxford Mirror, April 3, 1930.

Funeral for Tyrrell to be Held on Wednesday

Probably at His Home
Venture Capitalist, Jefferson County’s Richest Man Found Dead in Bed Early Sunday

Captain W.C. Tyrrell, 78, who died at his home in Beaumont early Sunday morning, was counted as one of Port Arthur’s staunchest boosters and most active developers. The aged financier was found dead in bed by his son-in-law, Dr. James W. Garth, about 1:15 a.m. Sunday, a heart attack causing his death.

Funeral services for the dead financier probably will be held Wednesday afternoon.

Since Captain Tyrrell located to this section of Texas, first temporarily in the late nineties, and permanently in 1904, he had acquired vast real estate properties in Port Arthur and the adjoining territory, developing all of his buildings here. The four-story Deutser Building, at the corner of Procter avenue and Waco avenue, the Tyrrell Building at the corner of Procter avenue and Fort Worth avenue, occupied by Fuller’s cafe and various offices and lodge halls, the Grammler undertaking establishment, Fifth and Waco, and the Jones-O’Neal furniture building on Fifth street were all built by Captain Tyrrell.

Hotel First Project

The city properties owned and developed by Captain Tyrrell in Port Arthur were financed by the W.C. Tyrrell Trust company, an organization comprising the financier and his four children. The development of Griffing and Port Acres was carried out through the Tyrrell-Combest Co., which he organized in 1918 with Ross Combest, with original capitalization of $70,000, which now has a fully paid capital of $1,000,000. Capt. Tyrrell’s fortune was conservatively estimated at $4,000,000.

During the flood in Port Arthur, Capt. Tyrrell sent over 8,000 loaves of bread into this city to relieve the food shortage here, the loaves being distributed without cost throughout the city. On another occasion, he ordered 100,000 roses sent to Kansas City churches and hospitals. Several years ago he established a park in Belmond, Iowa, his former home, as memorial to his wife, who died August 2, 1919. A park on the Fannett road, near Beaumont, was give to that city by Capt. Tyrrell recently, and is now being developed. Purchase of the First Baptist church building, on Pearl street, Beaumont, as a public library for the city, also was made by Capt. Tyrrell and presented to Beaumont.

Children Surviving

Surviving Capt. Tyrrell are four children: Mrs. Esther L. Garth, of Beaumont, with whom he made his home for a number of years past: Mrs. David Roderick [sic] of Oceanside, California: W.C. Tyrrell, Jr., who now owns and occupies the Tyrrell farm near Belmond, Iowa: and Harry C. Tyrrell, engaged in the oil business, at Tulsa, Oklahoma: 12 grandchildren, Dr. W. Leroy Garth of San Diego, Cal.: C. Tyrrell Garth of Beaumont: J.W. Garth, Jr. of Tulsa, Okla.: Thomas T. Garth of Beaumont: Mrs. Helen Rorick McGill, Mrs. Ruth Rorick Steves, and David Rorick, Jr. of Oceanside, Cal.: Harry F. Tyrrell of Beaumont, and Preston Tyrrell, W.C. Tyrrell III, Miss Carol Tyrrell, and David Tyrrell of Belmond, Iowa, and two great-grandchildren, William and Wilma Harl Garth, children of Dr. Leroy Garth of San Diego, Cal.

Source: Port Arthur News, September 6, 1924.

S.E. Rorick, Pioneer Among Business Men, Answers Call

After weeks of severe illness, the life of Sidney E. Rorick came to a close with his death at his home in Oxford Mills last Saturday, March 29th. For days it was thought that the end was near, yet that strong heart which had won many other battles, “ceased to beat” only after the physical body had lost all vitality.

Mr. Rorick was a builder, one of those people of worth that the state of Ohio has contributed to the development of this part of Iowa. When but ten years of age he had come with is parents to Oxford township and with exception of about one year this locality had been his home. Much of the early history of this portion of the county is found interwove with the history of his [unclear]. In local affairs, to him may be attributed in a large measure the establishment of the Oxford Junction Savings Bank in which he served as its first president. He was a believer in a completed understanding between associations. For months after the bank was started he spent his time in visiting with people in every walk of life, telling them of the aims of the institution and in general discussing their problems with them. Some of the fruits of his effort was not realized until years later but it was bounteous harvest which had been cultivated.

Obituary

Sidney E. Rorick was born in Franklin county, Ohio, on October 31, 1849, the son of C.H. and Julia F. Rorick. In 1859 he came with his parents to Iowa and first settled on the farm later known as the Rorick farm south of Oxford Mills. The first home was an old log cabin.

In 1876 he was married to Miss Charity Green. They began housekeeping on the farm home, improving it as they were able until their removal to Oxford Mills in 1900. Two children were born to this union, Cornelius H. and Edna, both of whose lives were closed years ago. Mrs. Rorick died on March 22, 1927.

Mr. Rorick’s life began to fail nearly a year ago. A serious illness then nearly claimed his life but when practically all hope was abandoned for his recovery a change was noted and improvement came slowly but surely. This past fall Mr. Rorick went to California hoping to escape the dreaded winter months but the climate did not agree with him and he returned here to his home. Soon afterwards he became seriously ill but warded off the approaching end for weeks.

One brother, D.D. Rorick of Monticello, is the only living near relative.

Mr. Rorick was a member of the Zealous lodge, A.F. & A.M. and had belonged to the Owls.

Services were held at the M.E. church at Oxford Mills Monday afternoon, Rev. Wolgemuth of the Lutheran church officiating, assisted by the Lutheran choir and the members of the Masonic order, who conducted the commitment services. The body was laid to rest in the family lot beside his wife in the Mayflower cemetery.

Those from a distance who attended the funeral of S.E. Rorick were his brother, D.D. Rorick, of Monticello, Iowa; Mrs. Winnie Ottsen of Rock Island, Ill., and the following nephews and nieces, Mrs. J.W. Garth and W.C. Tyrrell of Beaumont, Texas; Preston Tyrrell of Belmond, Iowa; Mrs. Woodward of Olin; and Mrs. Wilkinson

Source: Oxford Mirror, April 3, 1930

Estate of James W. Garth

Beaumont, Jan. 15 — Disposing of an estate valued at $100,000 among a score of relatives, will of the late Dr. J.W. Garth, pioneer Beaumont physician who died here Nov. 20, was filed for probate today in count court.  Bulk of estate was bequeathed to Dr. Garth’s widow, Mrs. Esther Garth and to their four sons, William Leroy, Casper Tyrrell, James William, Jr. and Thomas Tyrrell, who received all of the physician’s property except the following, named in specific bequests. Four daughters-in-law, Wilma, Lucy, Leta and Cecile Garth, five shares each of stock in the Morgan plan bank of Beaumont, and forty shares each of stock in the Tyrrell-Combest Realty company, also of Beaumont.  All the shares have a par value of $100 each. A sister, Grace Garth Miller, and a brother, Mark P. Garth, 10 shares each in the Jefferson County Building & Investment association stock, each share having a par value of $100.  Five nieces and nephews, Marjorie Miller, Max G. Miller, George J. Miller, Jr., Dorothy Carpenter, and Katherine Bennett, 20 shares each in the Jefferson County Building & Investment association.  A nephew, Donald G. Birdsall, $2000 indebtedness due Garth from Birdsall and 20 shares of stock in the building and investment association.  His step-mother, five shares of stock in the building and investment association.  His aunt, Mrs. Belle Birdsall, 20 shares of stock in the building and investment association.  Casper Tyrrell Garth and Thomas Tyrrell Garth, sons, were designated as executors of the estate.  The will was drawn July 9, 1929.

Source:  Port Arthur News, January 15, 1930.