An advertisement for the Presbyterian Journal, edited and published by Rev. Dr. J. Ford Sutton, from the Pittsburgh Commericial, April 7, 1876,
The Rev. Dr. Sutton Installed as Pastor of the Murray Hill Church.
By the installation last evening of the Rev. J. Ford Sutton as Pastor of the Murray Hill Presbyterian Church the pulpit made vacant in May last by the Rev. Dr. Burchard was again permanently supplied. Last evening’s event signalized the end of the discussion on the advisability of abandoning the church. When there was talk at first of starting afresh the Rev. Dr. Howard Crosby recommended Dr. Sutton as a man likely to suite the situation. Dr. Sutton had not been an active preacher for about six years, having lived meanwhile in Philadelphia, where he devoted himself to teaching and writing. With some difficulty he was induced to think of leaving Philadelphia. After his consent to come the members of the society bestirred themselves to give him a pleasing reception. They filled nearly every pew in the church last evening.
The Rev. Dr. Crosby preached a short sermon from the text in John, x., 27, 28, beginning, “My sheep know my voice.” After the sermon the Rev. Dr. John Hall delivered the charge to the Pastor and the people. He urged upon the Pastor to preach simply the Gospel, and not to be led off into speculation, philosophy, or talking for the times. He touched upon some of the difficulties that a clergy man in New York encounters, among the tendency of people to flock to the big churches, and the laxity of church attendance because of the frequency with which residences in the city are change. Minister ought especially, Dr. Hall thought, to combat the silly and childish pursuits that are supposed by many to be the chief attractions of life. The tendency to sensationalism in the pulpit was also to be deplored. There were people who expected in the preaching of the Gospel the freshness, the peculiarity, the eccentricity, and even the amusement to be found in the week day lecture. Such preaching had a limited field of usefulness and was of a feeble and fictitious character. It weakened the power of the pulpit to just the extent that it brought down the Gospel to the level of the amusements and the excitements of common life. Dr. Hall congratulated the society on the prospect before it, and exhorted the members to encourage the new Pastor by regular attendance upon the service and by ready co-operation in good work for the church.
Source: New York Times, December 21, 1885.
This is an advertisement for a tour of The Flower of the Ranch, a musical that debuted on Broadway in 1908 then was popular with stock companies for several years thereafter. It was described as “a western play with music” and was set in the imaginary town of Tomahawk, CA. Unfortunately, I failed to note the date for this clipping, but it’s for the Lyceum Theater in Ogden, UT. Roy Walling is pictured on the right.
Roy Walling was an actor, playwright, and producer. This an advertisement for one of the plays he wrote, Manhattan Nocturne. It ran for about three weeks and is considered a flop. Playbill summarized the plot as, “A down-and-out writer asks a call girl to appear in his bedroom as correspondent in a divorce suit, but he finds himself drawn to her and willing to help her out of her sad circumstances.”
In “The Love Child” Roy Walling, who is both stage manager and actor, understudies Sidney Blackmer and Lee Baker. (New York Times, February 18, 1923)
Roy Walling, producer of “Conscience,” now at the Cherry Lane in New York, had an exciting time during the rehearsal period. It was necessary that he find a magpie and he combed New York State before securing one. (Oakland Tribune, August 29, 1924)
W. Herbert Adams and Roy Walling formed a producing partnership. Their first will be “The Fast Worker” by Fred Ballard and Charles Bickford. (Syracuse Herald, May 19, 1928)
Roy Walling, well-known Broadway producers of such successes as “What Anne Brought Home,” “Mary’s Other Husband,” “Laff That Off,” “Her Majesty the Widow,” “Brothers,” “Conscience,” and other plays is visiting the Manhattan Players at Whalom. Mr. Walling sold the late David Belasco the play, “It’s a Wise Child,” which was produced in stock at Whalom four years ago. Mr. Walling will remain in Fitchburg until after the opening of the new comedy, “A Reason for Youth.” (Fitchburg Sentinel, July 25, 1936)
Casting Notes: Paula MacLean, W.O. McWatters, Carree Clarke, Roy Walling, Darren Dublin, and Don Symington to “One Shoe Off”. (New York Times, February 16, 1946)
Clarence Jacobson aims to produce Roy Walling’s dramatization of Mannix Walker’s book, “The Lonely Carrot,” in January. (New York Times, October 13, 1947)
The Walling Ditch, owned by Jerome B. Walling, was an important source of water during the early days of Boise, ID. It appears that the company was a family business that employed, at various times, Jerome Walling’s sons, Enos C. and Nelson B. Walling, and his son-in-law, James Mullany. Following are some news items about the Walling Ditch.
NOTICE: The undersigned is now cleaning out the Boise City Water Ditch, bringing water to the upper part of the city. Those desiring to take water, and pay for the same in work, can have an opportunity to do so by applying immediately for work. J.B. Walling, Superintendent, Boise City, I.T., April 13, 1872. (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, April 13, 1872)
Those who have observed the growth of our city will remember the building of the ditch south of Main street, and the rapid settlement of that part of town lying along the ditch, known as Grove street. This was owing to facilities afforded by the ditch in obtaining water for irrigating purposes. Many fine residences were erected, shade trees, shubbery and fruit trees planted out, and have grown up, so that this street is truly lovely and delightful. In the north or upper side of town there was no ditch, and although this portion of town was considerably well settled up in 1864, and has been growing slowly since that time, the houses are inferior and property cheaper than on the south side. The land is quite as good and the surface level, but the drawback for the want of water was seriously felt, and without this advantage it was plainly evident that this portion of town would never become desirable. After several ineffectual efforts, a ditch was brought in from Boise River covering all this portion of the city. For some cause or other the ditch has not proved profitable to the owner, or all that was necessary for the prosperity of those who depended upon it for watering their trees and gardens. It was, however, largely improved last year, and afforded water the major part of the season. This year the ditch has been farther [sic] improved, and we have every reason to believe it will yield a good supply of water. Mr. J.B. Walling is in charge of the ditch, and there is no doubt but that he understands the business and will keep all this portion of town fully supplied with water during the whole season. He has reduced the water rates, and no man need to grumble, and proposes to insure a supply of water by collecting the rent from time to time as the season advances so that none shall say that they have paid for water they didn’t have. There is no reason why this ditch should not yield as certain a supply of water as the lower ditch, and we are satisfied it will under Mr. Walling’s good management. If this fact is established it will raise the credit of the ditch property, and make the property in the upper portion of town the most desirable. The location is more elevated, and with the same improvements, residences, shade trees and gardens, it would be more beautiful and we doubt not will eventually become more valuable. With the public square well fenced, a good State House erected, shade trees grown up, and the grounds laid out in walks and otherwise ornamented, who would not consider a residences [sic] in this locality as desirable, if not more so, than in any other portion of our city. (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, June 18, 1872)
WATER, WATER: Persons will take notice that water is now running in the Boise Water Ditch, and they are required to clean out the town ditches, preparatory to using it. Terms, one half down and the other half payable the first of July. All persons using the water will be required to pay. — J.B. Walling, Superintendent. (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, May 13, 1873)
WATER! WATER! All persons wanting water from the upper ditch will clean out their ditches and apply to me for water. — J.B. Walling (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, May 20, 1876)
GET READY FOR WATER: Parties who want water from the Walling ditch will attend to putting in taps or boxes immediately, as it will be inconvenient to put them in when the ditch is full of water. The water will be let into the ditch in three of four days. — James Mullaney, manager of the Walling ditch (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, April 19, 1881)
NO DAMS: All persons are notified not to put any dam or dams in the Walling Ditch, as any or all persons who do so after the publication of this notice will be prosecuted. — James Mullaney, Superintendent (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, August 2, 1881)
The bridge across the Walling ditch, on the Warm Springs road, is an old rattletrap. It is not half as wide as it ought to be, the plank should be thicker, put on new stringers and fastened down, and a good railing put up at each end of the bridge. It is only a miracle that some accident has not happened at this place and we hope the road supervisor of that district will see that a new and substantial bridge is made over that ditch. And while he is mending his ways in this respect, let him cause the road to be opened through Bob Wilson’s place to its proper place. We have read in the scriptures that the road to the penitentiary is “broad and smooth,” and we are in scripture land. (Idaho Statesman, September 23, 1881)
Four-fifths of the Walling Ditch was sold by J.B. Walling to Joseph Perrault on Monday last for $10,500, and one fifth by E.L. Curtis to R.Z. Johnson. (Idaho Daily Statesman, March 7, 1888)
It will be seen that Mr. Walling has inserted an advertisement in our columns in which he requests that all ditches that take water from his own be cleaned out. In addiiton to this Marshall Iseli puts in his demand and says they must be, or he will enforce the city ordinances in that direction, as he does not mean that every sidewalk and street on the line dependent upon that ditch shall be converted into a mud puddle. (Idaho Daily Statesman, March 31, 1888)
The marshal had the water shut off in the Walling ditch yesterday because property owners had not complied with the law and some of the streets became flooded. People should clean out their [unclear]. The marshal does not wish to be severe and the acts of the negligent cause others to suffer. The city cannot forebear much longer. (Idaho Daily Statesman, April 10, 1888)
Water from the Walling ditch is improving vegetation on the north side of town very much. (Idaho Daily Statesman, April 10, 1888).
The expression of intention made by Mr. Joseph Perrault, as the representative of the owners of the Walling ditch, to no longer sell irrigating water to the people of Boise City, deserves consideration. It is to be presumed that Mr. Perrault would not make such a statement unless he meant it, and if the owners of the Walling ditch do intend to discontinue running water into the city, some movements should be made at once to arrange for an irrigation supply. It will not do to permit Boise’s beautiful trees and lawns to die for lack of irrigation, and more rneans than the water company’s supply will undoubtedly need to be obtained. (Idaho Daily Statesman, September 12, 1891).
Curlew gulch is as dry as a bone. The water supply from the city serves for drinking and culinary purposes, while the horses get their drink from the Walling ditch. (Idaho Daily Statesman, October 4, 1891)
The city council has ordered the bridge across the Walling ditch at Ninth street to be repaired. The owners of the ditch refused to repair the bridge. The city will do so and bring suit to recover the cost in the event of the Grove street ditch case being decided in its favor. (Idaho Daily Statesman, October 14, 1899)
Mrs. Rorick of Oxford Junction Purchases Stock of Mrs. Emerson
OXFORD JUNCTION, Ia., March 22.—Mrs Mattie Rorick of this place purchased the grocery stock of Mrs. M.J. Emerson, and the stock is being invoiced. It is thought a sister of Mrs Rorick, Miss Emma Hammond, will help with the business. The change came as a surprise to the public. Mrs Emerson will retire from active business.
Source: Davenport Daily Times, March 22, 1912.
Vincent Carr has served [sic] his connection with the Markovitt’s store. (Middletown Times Herald, January 6, 1932)
Vincent Carr, recently discharged from service, has resumed his work with Charles Kithcart. (Middletown Times Herald, December 20, 1945)
OCEANSIDE NEWS: David Rorick, an attorney from Des Moines, Iowa, is building a residence on Pacific avenue. He will open an office here for the practice of his profession. (Los Angeles Times, June 26, 1906)
Frank Rorick is clerking in G.M. Graves’ insurance agency. (Daily Huronite, April 12, 1886)
Report of Superintendents of Poor House Farm shows that Jacob Rorick succeeded N.K. Beardslee. Failure of crops increased expenses of institution, a long and hard winter ran the number of inmates up to 110. Of the 99 inmates on May 10, forty-five were children too young to be bound out. (Newspaper Clippings from the Sussex Register. 1897-1899. Newton, NJ: The Register. Item originally published June 19, 1837.)
Superintendents of poor house and farm publish annual report; express satisfaction with Mr. Rorick and re-engage him at increased salary; he had improved the meadows and proved himself to be a superior farmer. Owing to the bad year only three bushels of wheat and 47 1/2 of rye were gathered from the farm; many sheep had been lost through scab. (Newspaper Clippings from the Sussex Register. 1897-1899. Newton, NJ: The Register. Item originally published June 25, 1838.)
Mr. Harry F. Tyrrell, secretary of the university Y.M.C.A., will attend the annual convention of Y.M.C.A. secretaries to convene at Saugatuck, Mich., on June 27th for a two weeks session. He will be accompanied by Mrs. Tyrrell. (Iowa City Press Citizen, June 26, 1925)
Founded in 1916 by Captain W.C. Tyrrell, B.A. Steinhagen, J.E. Josey, and R. C. Miller, the Tyrrell Rice Milling Company has made significant progress as one of the strongest organizations of its kind in the Lone Star State.
Since that period of formation in 1915, various events occurred which would have disrupted less strongly built companies, but because of the excellent management it went steadily on its way of progress. Shortly after Capt. Tyrrell died, his interests were withdrawn from the company as were those of Mr. Steinhagen. V.C. Clark, who started with the company in 1916, took over the active management of the company in 1927 as secretary and manager with R.C. Miller, Pres.; J.S. Gordon, V.P.; and J.F. Josey, Treas.
With more than thirty years of rice milling experience behind him, Mr. Clark may well point to his record and reputation with the pride one feels in a job well done. Most of the business of the company up to a few years ago was export trade, but of late, a considerable amount of rice is being shipped to Cuba where the Tyrrell Company has rate advantages over foreign competitors.
Great credit is due to Mr. Clark for the excellent direction he has given to the company’s affairs, for under his guidance, the Tyrrell Rice Milling Company is indeed a credit to Texas and the nation.
Source: Stickle, Waldo Arthur. 1937. The State of Texas: One Hundred Years of Prosperity. Austin, TX: The State Bureau of Research and Publishing.