Miss Ann Adams Married to R.P. Rorick in Florida

Wedding of great interest to Southern California was performed for Miss Ann Adams, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Adam Albert Adams of Pasadena, and Richard Packard Rorick Saturday afternoon in St. Paul’s Catholic Church, Jacksonville, Fla.

The bride is a cousin of Mrs. Merritt E. Van Sant of Pasadena and niece of Mr. and Mrs. William T. O’Connell of Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.  She was given in marriage by her uncle.

Mrs. James F. Robinson II of Grosse Pointe, Mich., sister of the bridegroom, was matron of honor.  Bridesmaids were Misses Michelle Myers, Pasadena, Pasadena; Julia Potts, New York City; Paula Armstrong and Preston Stockton of Jacksonville, Fla.

Robert R. Bowen of Jacksonville was best man for the son of Mr. and Mrs. Marvin H. Rorick of Perrysburg, O., and Palm Beach, Fla.  Ushers were Marvin H. Rorick Jr., Perrysburg, O.; Robert B. Rorick, Toledo, O.; F. James Robinson II, Grosse Pointe, Mich.; and R. Alexander McClelland of New York City.

The bride, who made her debut at her aunt and uncle’s home when they resided in Lake Forest, Ill., will live in Jacksonville after a honeymoon in Jamaica.

Source:  Los Angeles Times, May 6, 1957.

Advertisements

Grace Adams & Frederick Boys

A CHURCH WEDDING: Mr. and Mrs. George B. Adams have issued invitations for the marriage of their daughter, Miss Grace Cooper Adams, and Mr. Frederick Newton Boyd, at the First Presbyterian Church, Thursday evening, Sept. 5th, at 7 o’clock. A reception at the residence of the bride’s parents, Old Orchard Place, will follow the ceremony at the church. (Middletown Daily Argus, August 22, 1895)

BOYD-ADAMS — In this city, Sept. 5th, ’95, at the First Presbyterian Church, by Rev. Thomas Gordon D.D., assisted by Rev. Charles Battle D.D., Frederick Newton Boyd and Grace Cooper, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George B. Adams. (Middletown Daily Argus, September 6, 1895)

Isabel Adams & M. Lawrence Willson

ADAMS — WILLSON: Elihu Adams of East Orange, N.J., at a luncheon at the Biltmore yesterday announced the engagement of his daughter, Miss Isabel M. Adams, to Mr. M. Lawrence Willson, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Merritt Willson of Sussex, N.J. Miss Adams, who lives at 18 Gramercy Park, is a descendant of two Presidents of the United States — John Adams and John Quincy Adams. Her branch of the family moved to New York in the early part of the nineteenth century. Mr. Willson is descended from one of the settlers of New Jersey. The Willson farm at Sussex was a grant from George III of England.

Source:  New York Times, October 6, 1929.

Isabel Adams Willson

WILLSON — Isabel Adams, at Sussex, N.J., on April 22, 1970. Beloved wife of M. Lawrence Willson, mother of John A. and Lawrence D., grandmother of Lawrence Adams and Barbara Lynn Willson, daughter of the late Elihu Adams and Mary Margarum. In lieu of flowers, contributions to the American Cancer Society or your favorite charity. Services at the First Presbyterian Church, Sussex, N.J., on Saturday at 2 P.M.

Source:  New York Times, April 23, 1970.

George B. Adams

George B. Adams, dry goods and carpets, Nos. 62 and 64 Water Street. The Newburgh store of George B. Adams is one of three owned by him. The other two are at Middletown, N.Y., and Olean, N.Y. The store in this city was opened in 1879 at No. 80 Water Street. In the Fall of 1890 Mr. Adams leased the buildings Nos. 62 and 64 Water Street, and after they had been re-modeled and fitted up at an expense of $10,000, he moved his business thereto on April 1, 1891. The premises are very attractive. They have a handsome oak front, with two great plate-glass windows, one thirteen feet and the other eleven. The main floor is thirty-six feet in width and eighty-five in depth, with five long rows of shelves and counters. Near the center of the floor is the cashier’s department, from which radiates a system of cash railways. The woodwork is finished generally in its natural colors. This floor is used exclusively for general and fancy dry goods and an immense stock is carried. In the basement are the domestic and cloak departments. The second and third floors are used for the carpet departments, and for curtains, rugs, window-shades, and such like. The building is heated by steam and lighted by electricity.

The spacious salesrooms are metropolitan in all their appointments. The stock is large and comprehensive, and everything properly belonging to the carpet and dry goods trade can be found there. Foreign as well as American goods are freely carried, and Mr. Adams has all his arrangements perfected for securing the freshest and choicest novelties as soon as they are ready for trade. With three large houses to supply, and with ample resources, Mr. Adams is one of the heaviest buyers in the retail trade, and for that reason he can both buy and sell on the most reasonable terms. This year, for instance, he purchased personally in Europe and imported directly in the name of the firm, many thousand dollars worth of goods. The purchase of 1,600 dozen of plain, printed, embroidered and initial handkerchiefs alone, in Belfast, amounted to £500 or $2,500. At Dumferline he purchased £600 or $3,000 worth of linens, besides laces and lace handkerchiefs at Brussels, and dress goods and trimmings at Paris. Mr. Adams’ Newburgh store has a great patronage, not confined to the city alone, but drawn from all the surrounding country. The managers of the Newburgh branch are Alfred H. Lyon and J.C. Hanford.

Mr. Adams was born in Wantage, N.J., in 1843. His father, a Baptist clergyman, died when George was two years old, leaving three sons. George attended school until he was fifteen years old, and then found a place in the dry-goods store of Wallace & Hemmingway, at Goshen, N.Y. In 1863 he came to Newburgh and engaged as clerk for Stephen Hayt & Co. For years later he formed a partnership with Nathaniel B. Hayt, and opened a dry-goods store at Middletown. The enterprise was successful from the beginning. After five years Mr. Hayt sold his interest to T.A. Weller, and shortly afterward the firm erected and moved to the large business block, Nos. 33 and 35 North Street. Later, when an auspicious opening was presented for a branch in Newburgh, the store No. 80 Water Street was leased and stocked with forty thousand dollars’ worth of goods. At first the firm occupied one floor, but afterwards took in the basement also. In 1886 Mr. Adams became the sole proprietor of both stores, Mr. Weller retiring. In 1887 Mr. Adams bought the large dry goods and carpet establishment of N.S. Butler & Co., at Olean, N.Y., and since then has conducted the three stores. Middletown is his place of residence. He is a trustee of the Middletown Savings Bank, a director of the First National Bank, a director of the Middletown Street Railway Company, and a member of the Board of Directors of the First Presbyterian Church. He married Lottie E., daughter of Edward Mapes, of Newburgh, and has two daughters.

Source: Nutt, John J. 1891. Newburgh: Her Institutions, Industries and Leading Citizens. Newburgh, N.Y. Ritchie & Hull.

Ford W. Margarum Wedded in Newark

Miss Marion L. Robertson Bride of Sussex Man

In the presence of 300 guests, at the home of the bride, 21 Walnut street, Newark, N.J., Tuesday evening, at 8 o’clock, Miss Marion L. Robertson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel E. Robertson, and Ford W. Margarum, of Sussex, N.J., were united in marriage by the Rev. Dr. Robert Scott Inglis.  The bride was given away by her father.

Dr. H.J. Harp, of Sussex, N.J., was best man and Alan G. Robertson, of Newark, brother of the bride, and Theodore Holbert, of Sussex, acted as ushers.

The maid of honor was Miss Marie W. Robertson, sister of the bride.  She wore a pretty dress of silver lace, blue chiffon taffeta embroidered in silver.  She carried pink chrysanthemums tied with silver.

The bridesmaids, who were Alice Linn, of Sussex, and Amanda W. Northrop, of Newark, wore gowns of pink satin with foundations of silver cloth and silver lace flounces.  They carried pink chrysanthemums tied with silver.

Isabel Adams, niece of the groom, was the flower girl.  She wore a dress of white net and carried a basket of yellow tea roses.

The bride work a beautiful gown of silver tissue worked over bridal silver crepe with Grecian pattern silver lace trimmed all over, draped skirt and waist of net and silver lace.  The train was of very sheer georgette crepe, trimmed with silver lace, a mass of bridal silk maline, worked in, giving a picturesque effect.  Her flowers were bridal roses and lilies-of-the-valley.

A sister of the groom, Mrs. H.J. Harp, was gowned in white net over white satin with iridescent trimming.

The house was artistically decorated with chrysanthemums, southern smilax, palms and white roses.  Music was furnished by a harp, violin and cello.

A platinum bar pin with diamonds was the gift of the groom to the bride.

The couple will make their future home in Sussex, where the groom is president of the Farmers’ National Bank.

Mr. Margarum is well known in this city, being a member of Middletown Lodge, No. 1097, B.P.O.E.

Source:  Middletown Times Press, November 29, 1916

Small Town News—Adams

Elihu Adams, of New York city, spent Saturday in town. (Middletown Times Press, October 16, 1918)

Mrs. H.H. Crane and Mrs. G.B. Adams will go to Poughkeepsie on Wednesday to attend the graduating exercises at Lyndon Hall, the boarding school at which Miss Grace Crane and Miss Grace Adams are pupils. (Middletown Daily Times, June 8, 1891)

Mr. George B. Adams and family have gone to New York to spend a week. They put up at the Hamilton on 43rd street, of which J.V. Jordan is proprietor. (Middletown Daily Press, January 27, 1892)

Mr. George B. Adams has been elected president of the board of trustees of the First Presbyterian Church, and Mr. F.M. Pronk secretary and treasurer. (Middletown Daily Press, March 24, 1893)

Mrs. George B. Adams, of Middletown, is visiting her daughter, Mrs. Fred N. Boyd, at Walkill. (Middletown Times Press, September 14, 1918)

Miss Grace Adams and Fred N. Boyd, of Middletown, spent Thursday here, as the guests of Mr. and Mrs. L.M. Writer, of Sullivan Ave. — Port Jervis Gazette. (Middletown Daily Argus, July 7, 1894)

Miss Isabel Adams is visiting her aunt, Mrs. H.J. Harp, at her home on Fountain Square. (Middletown Daily Times, July 1, 1915)

Miss Lillian Adams, of Middletown, daughter of Mr. George B. Adams, the well known dry goods merchant, has been visiting her cousin, Miss Edna Mapes, on Lander Street, this city. — Newburgh Journal (Middletown Daily Argus, July 13, 1894)

Grace Adams & Frederick Boyd

A CHURCH WEDDING:  Mr. and Mrs. George B. Adams have issued invitations for the marriage of their daughter, Miss Grace Cooper Adams, and Mr. Frederick Newton Boyd, at the First Presbyterian Church, Thursday evening, Sept. 5th, at 7 o’clock.  A reception at the residence of the bride’s parents, Old Orchard Place, will follow the ceremony at the church.  (Middletown Daily Argus, August 22, 1895)

BOYD-ADAMS — In this city, Sept. 5th, ’95, at the First Presbyterian Church, by Rev. Thomas Gordon D.D., assisted by Rev. Charles Battle D.D., Frederick Newton Boyd and Grace Cooper, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George B. Adams.  (Middletown Daily Argus, September 6, 1895)

Mary Margarum & Elihu Adams

Invitations have been issued by Mr. and Mrs. Theodore F. Margarum, of Deckertown, N.J., for the marriage of their daughter, Miss Margaret [sic] Margarum, to Mr. Elihu Adams, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jed E. Adams, of No. 122 West 131st street, at noon on Wednesday, October 17, at the residence of the bride’s parents.  Miss Georgia Northrup and Miss Marion Margarum will be the bridesmaids, and Mr. William Gibson, Mr. Charles Schultz, Mr. William Syrles, Jr., and Mr. Jester Syrles will serve as ushers.

Source:  New York Evening Telegram, October 10, 1900.

Betty Adams & Alfred Yocom

When Miss Gerrie Wilson entertained at Crest Farm Saturday announcement was made of the marriage of Miss Betty Adams, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Adams, 1441 Central avenue, and Mr. Alfred Yocom, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ray E. Yocom, Montgomery avenue, which took place at Greenup, KY, April 6, with Rev. Leonard Smith officiating.  Mrs. Yocom, a graduate of Lash high school in 1937, is employed as secretary to the supervisor of the N.Y.A. in this district.  She is an active member of the First Church of Christ.  Mr. Yocom, who graduated from Lash in 1935, attended Muskingum College and is employed by the Hazel-Atlas Company.  The couple will make their home, temporarily, at the home of his parents.

Source:  Zanesville Times-Recorder, July 25, 1938.