Rep. Mott Dies In Washington

Washington, Nov. 13 (AP)—Rep. James W. Mott (R., Ore.) a member of congress since 1933, died yesterday of a heart attack on his 62nd birthday.

He had been in Bethesda, Md., naval hospital three weeks and on Thursday underwent an operation for relief of an intestinal obstruction.

The house political lineup is now 241 democrats, 188 republicans, two members of other parties and four vacancies.

Mott’s active career in the legal profession and politics began in 1917 with his graduation from the Willamette law school and his admission to the bar. He immediately opened a law office in Astoria, closed it a year later to enter the U.S. Navy, returned in 1919, was city attorney 1920-22 and then served three terms, 1922-24-26, as state representative.

Elected in 1932 Continue reading “Rep. Mott Dies In Washington”

Advertisements

Dorothy Mott & Benjamin Whisenand

Stellar wedding of the autumn season for capital society will be solemnized at 2 o’clock Sunday afternoon at the country place of Congressman and Mrs. James W. Mott when their second daughter, Miss Dorothy Mott, becomes the bride of Ensign Benjamin Murry Whisenand, son of Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin E. Whisenand of Bend. Rev. George H. Swift, rector of St. Paul’s Episcopal church, will read the ceremony in the presence of the two families and an assemblage of distinguished guests.

The couple will exchange their vows before a large window looking out into the lovely sloping gardens. White chrysanthemums, ivy and cathedral tapers will grace the improvised altar.

Continue reading “Dorothy Mott & Benjamin Whisenand”

Congressman’s Wife to Christen Ship August 11

Launching ceremonies for the U.S.S. Glenn’s Ferry will be held at the Swan Island shipyard in Portland Saturday, August 11, with Mrs. James. W. Mott, wife of Congressman Mott, acting as the sponsor. Mrs. Mott will have her daughters, Mrs. John L. Sullivan and Mrs. Benjamin Murry Whisenand as her matrons of honor and little Miss Beverly Mott will be her mother’s flower girl.

A luncheon will be given as a compliment to Mrs. Mott following the christening of the ship with a group of Salem and out-of-town folk making up the guest list.

Source: Salem Capital Journal, August 3, 1945.

Mrs. Walling, Life-Long Resident of the Valley, Dies

Mrs. Jesse D. Walling, a life-long resident of this section of the valley, died early Sunday morning at a local convalescent home at the age of 87 years following an illness of several months.

Born at Fairfield, near St. Paul, Ore., August 26, 1862, Mrs. Walling was the former Cora Loose. Her father was Fred Loose, who came to Oregon in 1851, and her mother was Emily Stout Loose, whose family came to this state in 1843. Mrs. Walling attended the old Brush College, her family living for years in the Brush College community. Following her marriage, Mrs. Walling lived at Zena, then at Lincoln, the Walling family home having been a Lincoln for the past 53 years. Mr. Walling died 12 years ago. Continue reading “Mrs. Walling, Life-Long Resident of the Valley, Dies”

Rorick

The reunion of the Rorick family was held Wednesday at the home of Mr. and Mrs. M.C. Rorick in Morenci.  These gatherings have now been held annually for about forty-three years.  One hundred and three relatives and friends enjoyed the visiting gand [sic] dinner incident to this event.  At a short business meeting, Dr. E.H. Rorick was elected president for the coming year.  Mrs. Amelia Rorick, who has served as secretary for the past 15 years, declined re-election and Mrs. G.H. Crane was chosen as her successor.  Mrs. G.H. Rorick was appointed chairman of the committee on arrangements.  Continue reading “Rorick”

William C. Tyrrell to Wed Saturday

According to invitations received by friends, William Casper Tyrrell of Belmond, will be married to Miss Alice Katherine Sullivan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Sullivan of Rochelle, Ill., on September 13th, at the home of her uncle in Evanston, Ill. They will be home after October 1st at Beaumont, Tx.  The groom is known to local people as “Bill” Tyrrell.

Source:  Humboldt Republican, September 12, 1930.

Estell H. Rorick

It was September 1, 1842, that Dr. Estell H. Rorick of Fayette began his earthly career in Seneca, Michigan. He is a son of William and Phoebe (Brees) Rorick, the father from New Jersey and the mother from New York State. The young man was reared on a farm in Lenawee County, and in 1867 he entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor as a student in the medical department there.

The Rorick family history began in Michigan with the coming of William Rorick in 1836, and he owned a great deal of land in Lenawee County. He was in position to give superior educational advantages to his children, and when the Doctor was 16 years old he attended the Medina, Michigan academy. He later attended college at Kalamazoo but lacking funds to continue at the time he engaged in teaching for two years. At Medina young Rorick formed the acquaintance of Doctor Weed, and it was through his influence that the young man decided to study medicine and surgery.

Continue reading “Estell H. Rorick”

More Small Town News from Various Points

Portola, Calif., March 3 — Miss Barbara Loosley and Miss Lola Loosley, who have been residing with their grandmother, Mrs. H.C. Weir, have returned to their home in Beckwourth. (Nevada State Journal, March 4, 1933)

F.M. Loosley, a former merchant of Beckwith but now in the mercantile business in Valley Ford, is here visiting his son and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Loosley. He is exhibiting a bruised lip when he received when his car was forced off the road. His car did not turn over but was wrecked badly enough to be put in the workshop. (Reno Evening Gazette, July 18, 1931)

Robert Mackrell, of Huntington, Indiana, stopped off here Wednesday afternoon to visit friends, being en route to Cleveland. He was accompanied as far as Ashland by J.K. Meachem. (Marion Daily Star, May 28, 1914)

Theo. Mackrell, Erie train despatcher at Newburgh, and daughter, Eva, spent Sunday at H.K. Wood’s. (Middletown Daily Times, February 1, 1894)

FIRE ENDANGERS BARNS: Fire from embers from burning brush carried to straw stacks, but for the assistance of neighbors, would have completely destroyed the large barns on the Porritt Farm, Seymour Lake, Friday the 6th. The water tanks for cattle and a large cistern provided sufficient water. (Clarkston Community News, May 21, 1921)

Mrs. Allen Price, of Penn Yan, was a week-end guest of her father, W.W. Hutchinson, and sister, Miss Dorothy Hutchinson. (Wellsboro Agitator, May 30, 1928)

The many friends of Clifford Rochelle, of Fifth and Heaton streets, will be sorry to learn that he is confined to Ft. Hamilton hospital for treatment. Mr. Rochelle has recently returned from the Good Samaritan hospital, Cincinnati, where he also underwent treatment. (Hamilton Evening Journal, August 21, 1931)

Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Rochelle, Mrs. Ida Rochelle, Mrs. Chas. Stegel [sic], and son, George, left yesterday by motor to visit friends and relatives in Sandusky and Columbus. (Hamilton Daily News, August 29, 1924)

Mrs. Theodore C. Search of Maryville, Mo., is here for a visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. Werre. (Edwardsville Intelligencer, July 27, 1927)

Miss Minnie Spearin of the Grindstone City school is the guest of her sister, Mrs. Jas. Baldwin. (Bad Axe Democrat, December 30, 1887)

ONE YEAR AGO: The historic Bailey House, near Pilot Hill, has been sold by John B. Wagner to Clarence Steves, formerly of Orange County. (Placerville Mountain Democrat, July 31, 1947)

Mr. and Mrs. Estell Sullivan, of Fayette, former students at Ohio University, were weekend guests of Mrs. Sullivan’s aunt and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. I.D. Quick, Columbia Ave., and Mrs. Sullivan’s brother and family, Mr. and Mrs. John H. Acomb and son John III, Highland Ave. Mr. Acomb was a member of the graduating class at Ohio University Sunday. (Athens Messenger, June 9, 1953)

J.P. Sutton accompanied to Orion the remains of his brother whose death occurred last Sunday night at the residence of his sister Mrs. J.W. Linderman. (Northern Tribune, January 6, 1883)

Mr. and Mrs. Kirk Walling, parents of Mrs. Richard Jones, who have made their home in Silverton for several years, are now occupying a trailer house near their daughter, and family. (Dayton Tribune, September 23, 1971)

Miss Mildred Werre, who attends McKendree at Lebanon, is spending the week-end with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. Werre. (Edwardsville Intelligencer, February 9, 1924)

Dr. and Mrs. Charles Wilkin, of Jeffersonville, Dr. and Mrs. Osmer J. Wilkin and daughter, of Newburgh, Mr. and Mrs. Karle Heinle, of Warwick, Mrs. Louise Van Kan and Miss Harriet Wilkin, of New York, were Sunday guests at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Heinle. (Kingston Daily Freeman, November 3, 1939)

Lawrence Willson, of Bowdoin College, Maine, is visiting his parents Mr. and Mrs. Merritt Willson over Christmas (Wantage Recorder, December 28, 1917)

Well Known Morenci Resident Passes Away

Mark C. Rorick, older son of Cosper and Nancy A. Breese Rorick, was born on a farm in Seneca township, Michigan Dec. 7, 1845 and died Feb. 6, 1922. His brother Leroy W. was born Sept. 14, 1847. He lived with his parents in a log house until the brick house was built in ’68. Cosper Rorick, father of M.C. Rorick, had a small clearing 3-4 mile north of what is now Seneca village, woods being on all sides. Canandaigua was the nearest post office and trading point combined and traveling was accomplished entirely by ox team or by horse back. The nearest church was at Medina, seven miles distant, and this they attended every Sunday morning. It was necessary to make an early start as they drove an ox team and wagon with a board across the wagon box for the little boys.

When about five years of age “Mark” commenced school in the home district 2 1/2 miles way in the Rorick district today. He walked back and forth to school. When the Tufts school house was being built he attended school in a part of the James Lord home, temporarily. Continue reading “Well Known Morenci Resident Passes Away”

A Well Known Citizen Gone

Death of Leroy W. Rorick at his Home in Morenci Last Saturday Morning

Leroy W. Rorick, a well known citizen of Morenci, died at his home here last Saturday morning, March 10, 1917, after an illness of several months. The funeral service was held Monday under the direction of the K. of P. Lodge of which he was a member.

Judge B.L. Hart of Adrian and Hon. B.D. Chandler of Hudson, who represented the order, gave words of sympathy and helpfulness to the bereaved family.

Miss Virginia Wilson sang a solo. The out of town relatives who attended the funeral were: Mrs. William Rorick of Buffalo, N.Y., Mrs. Spencer Sloan, Mrs. Della McCloe, H.C. Rorick and wife, A.V. Foster and wife of Toledo, J.C. Rorick of Wauseon, Dr. and Mrs. E.H. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Sullivan, P.F. Cawley and daughter, Helen, Earl Baldwin and wife, John Rorick and Mrs. G.H. Crane of Fayette, Hon. G.B. Horton and John Cole of Weston.

Leroy W. Rorick was born in Seneca township, Sept. 14, 1847. His father, Cosper Rorick, a native of New Jersey, came to Michigan in 1840 and commenced with the pioneers in the work of changing a wilderness to a domain of elegant homes and productive farms. His father was married to Nancy A. Breese, Jan. 15, 1845, and they settled on a farm one mile north of Seneca in a log house with primitive surroundings, where Leroy was born. He grew up on the farm laboring with his father in the fields as boys in those days did and walking two and a half miles to a district school house for his education which was completed at the Medina Academy.

He was married Feb. 10, 1870 to Harriet L. Porter to whom were born one daughter, Nellie R., wife of Dr. Murphy of Columbus, OH and Cosper M., cashier of the First National Bank of Morenci. He commenced the work of an active life on the farm where he resided until 1888, when he moved to Morenci where he lived a retired life for one year, then going to Fayette where he purchased a livery business which he successfully followed for nine years. Disposing of the same, he followed the business of harness making for about six years in Morenci, after he which he purchased a farm two miles west of Weston where he resided about three years. He then purchased a small country home near Seneca where he lived until the spring of 1916 when he built a home and moved to Morenci.

His life has been a full demonstration of industry, kindness and business integrity and his faithful friends are numerous wherever he is known. His departure is mourned by all who knew him. He is survived by one brother, Mark C. Rorick of Morenci.

Source:  Lundahl, Helen Rorick.  (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America.  (NB: This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings.)