Mary Thomson Van Blarcom

Mrs. Mary Thomson Van Blarcom, whose death occurred at her home in Newton, October 5th, was born at Marksboro, N. J., on June 5th, 1837. She was the daughter of Dr. Alexander Hamilton Thomson, a graduate of the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, and Rachael Everett Thomson, his wife. Her grandfather was Robert Thomson and her great grandfather, Col. Mark Thomson of distinguished Revolutionary memory, and a large land owner from whom Marksboro took its name. Besides serving in the war for Independence, Col. Thomson was in 177(unclear) elected a member from Sussex county to the Provincial Congress of New Jersey, one of the acts of which Congress was to change the government of New Jersey from the colonial form to a constitutional government or state. In all services to his country and state, in the trying days which called for patriotism, courage and capacity, Col. Thomson’s name appears a heritage of honor, to his descendants. In 1857, she married James Cummins, who died in 1863. Of this marriage, there are living three children, Mary L., wife of the late Vice Chancellor James E. Howell, Anna Florence, wife of James E. Baldwin, of Newton and Dr. James H. Cummins, of Newton. In 1871, she married Captain Lewis Van Blarcom, an accomplished member of the bar. The children of this marriage are Kate Van Blarcom, of Newton, Andrew Van Blarcom, second assistant Prosecutor of Essex county and Lewis Van Blarcom, a lawyer of Newton. All her married life was passed at Newton, and though nearly eighty years of age, the declining years had dealt very gently with the beauty of her youth and with her attractive personality. She surrounded herself with that ideal county life of which she was so fond and which was always foremost in her mind. These with her many starling graces of mind and heart, drew to her a wide circle of friends to whom they will ever be a precious memory.

Source:  New Jersey Herald, October 12, 1916.

Miss Van Blarcom, An Artist, Was 40

Wife of Charles R. Milbauer is Dead — Former Serigraph Society Aide Headed Gallery

Miss Mary Van Blarcom of Point Pleasant, N.J., an artist, former vice president of the National Serigraph Society and former director of Artists of Today Gallery in Newark, N.J., died Tuesday in Point Pleasant Hospital, after a long illness. Her age was 40.

Miss Van Blarcom who, in private life was Mrs. Charles Rudolf Milbauer, wife of the artist, is represented by paintings and serigraphs (silk screen prints) in the collections of the New York Public Library, Howard University, Central Michigan College of Education, United States State Department, Ball State Teachers College, Indiana, American Association of University Women, Alabama Polytechnic Institute and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

She won the Marion Cunningham Memorial Prize for “La Bete” in 1949, received honorable mention from the American Color Print Society for “March Wind” in 1948, and won the Barstow Award for water-color at the National Association for University Women in 1946 and the Morrow Award of the Beacon Annual in 1947.

Miss Van Blarcom exhibited her work widely. She was a member of the American Color Print Society, Associated Artists of New Jersey and Artists Equity.

She had studied at Wellesley College and with Frederick Griffin at the Muse Studio, Newark.

Surviving, besides her husband, are a son, Karl A. Milbauer; a daughter by a former marriage, Mary Ann Bradley; her mother, Mrs. Andrew Van Blarcom of Andover, N.J.; a brother, Joseph Van Blarcom of Madison, N.J.; and two sisters, Mrs. Ralph Inslee of Newton, N.J. and Mrs. Percy Ballantine of Andover, N.J.

Source: New York Times, July 17, 1953.

Lewis Van Blarcom

After having practiced law in a single location, Newton, for a period of thirty-five years, Lewis Van Blarcom may be said to be familiar with all of the legal problems that come up in the business or private life of the residents here. He has been called upon to apply his legal training to business also, as a director in local corporations, and has been as successful in this advisory work as in his professional practice. He has enjoyed not only a long period of private legal work, but has also been entrusted with the public responsibility which goes with the office of county prosecutor, which he held here for five years.

Mr. Van Blarcom was born on April 29, 1883, son of Lewis and Mary (Thompson [sic]) Van Blarcom, both members of families old in the history of the state. His father, also a native of Sussex County, was a veteran of the Civil War, who served as captain of Company E, 15th Regiment of the New Jersey Volunteers; wounded at Spottsylvania, he was made captive, and imprisoned at Libby Prison for a period of six months. In private life he was, like his son, a practicing attorney at Newton, and continued in this field for many years prior to his death on February 19, 1904. His wife, Mary (Thompson [sic]) Van Blarcom, who was born at Marksboro, followed him in death in October of 1916. Mr. Lewis Van Blarcom’s paternal grandfather, William Van Blarcom, was a member of the agrarian community in Sussex County; his maternal grandfather was Dr. Alexander Hamilton Thompson [sic], a well known physician of Warren County.

Mr. Van Blarcom was not only a native a Newton, but also grew up and attended public school here, graduating from the Newton Collegiate Institute and the English and Classical School. He later studied law with Martin Rosencrans, and, upon becoming qualified, was duly admitted to practice at the bar of the State of New Jersey.

Devoting himself to the general practice of law, he has offered his services in Newton continuously since his admission to the bar. He is a Republican in politics, and it was on the ticket of that party that he won the position of prosecutor of Sussex County for the period from 1917 to 1922. Serving in another public capacity, he has been a member of the county tax board for many years, and he has consistently interested himself in the non-partisan civic programs of Newton.

He is a member of the Sussex County Bar Association, and the New Jersey State Bar Association. His associations with the business and financial concerns of Newton include the following posts: member of the board of directors of the Sussex Mutual Insurance Company of Newton, and of the S. & M. Building & Loan Association.

During the World War, Mr. Van Blarcom was a captain of Company E, 4th Battalion, New Jersey State Militia. He is a member of the Society of Colonial Wars, and of the Sons of the American Revolution.

In January of 1919, Lewis Van Blarcom was married to Ethel M. Hart, daughter of Nathan H. and Margaret (Cox) Hart. They are communicants of the Presbyterian Church of Newton, and are active in the social affairs of the community.

Source: Myers, William Starr. 1945. Prominent Families of New Jersey. Volume I. New York: Lewis Publishing Company.

Lewis Van Blarcom

A member of one of New Jersey’s oldest and most prominent families, Captain Lewis Van Blarcom, of Newton, whose death occurred February 20, 1904, was one of the foremost citizens of this State, an esteemed and valued member of the legal fraternity, and a beloved and respected resident of this community. Captain Van Blarcom exercised an inspiring influence in all affairs of this vicinity, having taken an active part in the various civic organizations and in political matters as a leader of the Republican party in Sussex County, and was known to everyone as a fair and honest party chieftain. His grandfather was Garret Van Blarcom, of Bergen County, who married Mary DeGraw, and to this union were born two sons and two daughters. Garret Van Blarcom was noted for his courage and patriotism, serving with distinction in the War of 1812. He removed to Sussex County in 1820 and engaged in farming, and both he and his wife were active in community affairs and were prominently interested members of the North Hardyston Presbyterian Church. He died in 1834, and Mrs. Van Blarcom died, 1864.

William Van Blarcom, second son of Garret and Mary (DeGraw) Van Blarcom, was born in Bergen County. He devoted his activities to agriculture in Sussex County for many years. His children were: Lewis, of further mention; Garret; Lucy A., married James E. Price; Susan C., married Nelson Ackerson; Andrew J., and Hannah, who married Charles Y. Dolsen.

Lewis Van Blarcom was born in Sparta Township, July 19, 1835, and was educated in the public schools of the vicinity, being regard as an unusually bright and diligent student. He afterwards had the advantage of private instruction under E.A. Stiles, the well-known educator in Wantage Township. His youth was spent on the farm of his father, where he assisted in the various works requisite to farm operation and later, for four successive years, taught in public school. Having a desire to study law, he entered the legal office of M.R. Kimble, the prominent Hamburg lawyer, where he read law. One year later he became associated with John Linn in the latter’s office in Newton, and he was thus engaged in preparing for his chosen profession when the advent of the Civil War caused him to cease his studies. Full of patriotic enthusiasm inherited from his pioneering forefathers, Lewis Van Blarcom enlisted on August 25, 1862, as first lieutenant in Company D, 15th New Jersey Volunteers, being actuated by the desire to serve his country in this tragic time, anxious to do all in his power to further the cause of freedom which he so earnestly espoused. A brilliant soldier and fired with an inspiring zeal, it is not surprising that he was promoted to the rank of Captain of Company C in June, 1863. He saw active service in many of the fiercest battles of the war, among which were the first and second battles of Fredericksburg, Salem Heights, Gettysburg, Rappahanock Station, and Spottsylvania. In the last-named battle Captain Van Blarcom was seriously wounded and carried from the battlefield a prisoner. His leg was amputated in an enemy hospital, in which he was permitted to remain but ten days, after which he was taken to Richmond and there placed in Libby Prison, from which he was discharged September 12, and for a time received care and medical treatment in the Annapolis Hospital until he was discharged from the service, December 19, 1864.

Returning to Newton, he at once resumed his law studies and, after passing the required examination, was admitted to the bar as a practicing attorney in 1865, and as a counsellor in 1868. Shortly afterward he formed a partnership with Joseph Coult, Esq., which continued from 1869 to 1873, in which year he became associated with Lewis Cochran, and this partnership continued until 1880. In active public life he was a popular figure for many years, having been appointed by Governor Randolph on March 25, 1869, to the office of prosecutor of pleas, and served the full term of five years, while in 1864 he had been nominated by his party for the office of county clerk. For two years he served as chosen freeholder for the town of Newton, and in 1885 stood as the party candidate for Congress from the then Fourth Congressional District of New Jersey. Divisions in the ranks of the Democratic party made his election possible, and he carried his native county of Sussex with such a majority as had never been accorded his party. For many years he was chairman of the Republican County Executive Committee, being just as brave in the field of politics as he had been on the battlefield, and his thorough honesty and integrity, fairness and candor were recognized and acknowledged by all, even political adversaries. Captain Van Blarcom was deeply interested in the prosperity and development of Newton, and aided its progress with all his influence and support. The welfare of Civil War veterans was one of his chief concerns, and he was never too busy to assist in promoting their happiness or aid them in necessity, while he was one of the principal factors in securing the soldiers’ monument now located in the public park in Newton.

Captain Lewis Van Blarcom married, August 17, 1871, Mary Thomson, daughter of Dr. Alexander H. Thomson, of Marksboro, Warren County, and they were the parents of three children: Kate, married Judge Henry T. Kays, of Newton; Andrew, see following biography; and Lewis, a practicing lawyer in Newton.

Source: Honeyman, A. Van Doren. 1927. Northwestern New Jersey: A History of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex Counties. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company.

Lewis Van Blarcom

Lewis, eldest son of William and Catherine A. (Sutton) Van Blarcom, was born in Sparta township, Sussex county, New Jersey, July 19, 1835, died February 9, 1904. His early education was obtained at the common school in his native township and under the private instruction of Edward A. Stiles, a well-known teacher of Wantage. His minority was mostly spent at home, where he became inured of farm work and learned the inestimable lesson of self-reliance and perseverance. After reaching a suitable age he became a teacher, continuing for four terms. In 1858 he began to read law with M.R. Kimble, of Hamburg, and after one year entered the law office of John Linn, of Newton. August 25, 1862, he enlisted as first lieutenant, Company D, Fifteenth Regiment, New Jersey Volunteers, and for meritorious service was promoted in June, 1863, to captain of Company C. During his service he was in the following engagements: Fredericksburg, December, 1862; Second Fredericksburg at Salem Heights, May, 1863; Gettysburg, July, 1863; Rappahanock Station, November, 1863; Spottsylvania, May 8, 1864. In the latter engagement he was wounded and captured by the enemy and has his leg amputated by their surgeons. After remaining in the hospital for ten days he was carried to Richmond and place in Libby Prison, where he remained until September 12, 1864, when he was exchanged and placed in the hospital at Annapolis. December 10, 1864, he received his discharge from the service and returned home. After his return to Newton he resumed the study of law and was admitted to the bar as attorney, June, 1865, and in June, 1868, as counsellor. He then began the practice of his profession in Newton, where he met with great and well-deserved success. From 1869 to 1873 he was associated in business with Joseph Coult, from 1873 to 1889 with Lewis Cochran. Governor Randolph appointed him, March 25, 1869, prosecutor of the please, and he discharged the duties of that office with acknowledged ability and justice for a term of five years. Politically speaking Captain Van Blarcom was a Republican and a leading and influential man in his party in Sussex county. he was the Republican candidate for county clerk, member of congress, but failed of election owing to his party being largely in the minority. For two years he was one of the chosen board of freeholders. For many years he was chairman of the Republican county committee.

August 17, 1871, he married Mary, daughter of Dr. Alexander H. Thomson, of Marksboro, Warren county, New Jersey. Children: 1. Kate. 2. Andrew. 3. Lewis, Jr.

Source: Lee, Francis Bazley. 1910. Genealogical and Memorial History of the State of New Jersey. New York: Lewis Publishing Company.

Lewis Van Blarcom

Lewis, eldest son of William Van Blarcom, was born in Sparta township, July 19, 1835. His early education was obtained at the common school in his native township, and under the private instruction of Edward A. Stiles, a well-known teacher of Wantage.

His minority was spent mostly at home, where he became inured to farm work, and learned the inestimable lessons of self-reliance and perseverance. After reach the proper age he was a teacher for four terms.

In 1858 he began to read law with M.R. Kimble, of Hamburg, and after one year entered the law offices of John Linn, of Newton.

On Aug. 25, 1862, Mr. Van Blarcom enlisted as first lieutenant, Company D, Fifteenth Regiment New Jersey Volunteers, and for meritorious service was promoted in June, 1863, to captain of Company C. This regiment was part of the First New Jersey Brigade, which formed a part of the Army of the Potomac, First Division, Sixth Army Corps.

Capt. Van Blarcom was in the following engagements: Fredericksburg, December 1862; second Fredericksburg, at Salem Heights, May 1863; Gettysburg, Jul 1863; Rappahanock Station, November 1863; Spottsylvania, May 8, 1864.

In this last engagement, he was wounded and captured by the rebels, and had his leg amputated by them. After remaining in the hospital for ten days, he was carried to Richmond and placed in Libby Prison, where he remained until Sept. 12, 1864, when he was exchanged and placed in the hospital at Annapolis. He received his discharge from service on Dec. 19, 1864, and returned home.

After his admission as an attorney he began the practice of law in Newton, where he has successfully practiced his profession since. From 1869 to 1873, Joseph Coult was associated with him in business, and from 1873 to 1880, Lewis Cochran. He was appointed prosecutor of pleas by Governor Randolph, March 25, 1869, and discharged the duties of that office with acknowledged ability and justice for a term of five years.

Capt. Van Blarcom is, politically, a Republican, and leading and influential in his party in Sussex County.

Upon his return from the war in the fall of 1864 he was the Republican candidate for county clerk, but failed of election on account of his party being largely in the minority.

For two years he was one of the chosen board of freeholders, and he has been chairman of the Republican county committee for the past eight years.

He married, Aug. 17, 1871, Mary, daughter of Alexander H. Thompson [sic], of Marksborough, Warren Co., N.J. His children are Kate and Andrew.

Source: Snell, James P. 1881. History of Sussex and Warren Counties, New Jersey. Philadelphia: Everts & Peck.

Lewis M. Van Blarcom

As a prosperous citizen and a most estimable citizen, Mr. Van Blarcom is of high standing in his home town of Belvidere. Truly public-spirited, he loses no opportunity of advancing the best interests of his community.

Garret Van Blarcom, father of Lewis Van Blarcom, was born April 10, 1836, in Sussex County, New Jersey, and followed the calling of a farmer. He married Sarah Elizabeth Monroe, who was born March 22, 1844, at Lafayette, Sussex County, and died April 5, 1900, surviving her husband but two years, his death having occurred April 20, 1898.

Lewis M. Van Blarcom, son of Garret and Sarah Elizabeth (Monroe) Van Blarcom, was born December 10, 1863, at Lafayette, Sussex County, New Jersey, and educated in the public schools of his native town, afterwards taking a course at Eastman’s Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York, graduating in 1882. For twelve years thereafater Mr. Van Blarcom was engaged in the hardware business in Dover and New York City, and at the end of that time became a student at the Renouard School of Embalming in New York. After acquiring a thorough knowledge of the profession he carried on the business in Sparta, Sussex County, under his own name, for a period of six years, where he was most successful.

In May 1906 Mr. Van Blarcom came to Belvidere, where he has since been at the head of a high class undertaking establishment, carrying a complete line of modern equipment. At the present time he is the only undertaker in Belvidere, and has built up an enviable reputation for integrity and efficiency.

Politically, Mr. Van Blarcom is a Republican. His fraternal affiliation is with the Free and Accepted Masons, Lodge No. 13; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Lodge No. 13; the Junior Order United American Mechanics, No. 224, of Lafayette, Sussex County; the Improved Order of Red Men and the Paphandaising Tribe, No. 236. His only club is the Rotary Club of Belvidere. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, serving on the official board.

Lewis M. Van Blarcom married, October 28, 1891, Lida J. Fort, daughter of Rev. Jacob and Margaret (Force) Fort, the former a member of the Newark Methodist Conference. The Rev. Jacob Fort was born in 1818, in Burlington County, and died in 1893. His wife was born in 1831, at Red Mills (now Arcola), Burlington County, and died in 1916. George F. Fort, brother of Jacob Fort, was Governor of New Jersey in 1850, and John Franklin Fort, of the next generation, was Governor of the same state in 1910. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Van Blarcom are the parents of three daughters: Helen A., who died January 1, 1928, wife of Louis G. André of Passaic, New Jersey; Margaret Louise, wife of Arthur J. Stewart, of Ridgewood, New Jersey, and the mother of two children, John Lewis and Jane Ella; and Janice Howe, wife of Joseph W. Fisher, of West New York, New Jersey.

Mrs. Lewis M. Van Blarcom was born in Peapack, Somerset County, and is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution by right of descent from John Fort, of Burlington County, a soldier in the Continental Army.

Throughout his career Mr. Van Blarcom has received and merited the titles — than which there are none higher — of an honorable business man and a patriotic citizen.

Source: Honeyman, A. Van Doren. 1927. Northwestern New Jersey: A History of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex Counties. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company.

Kate Van Blarcom & Henry T. Kays

Newton, N.J., Aug. 14 — The marriage of Miss Kate Van Blarcom, of Newton, N.J., and Mr. Henry T. Kays, also of Newton, took place here on Saturday afternoon at about 4 o’clock in the home of the bride, 39 High street. Miss Van Blarcom is a sister of Prosecutor Lewis Van Blarcom of Sussex county and Andrew Van Blarcom, of Sussex county.

Mr. Kays is Sussex county general counsel and former Assemblyman from Sussex county for 1913, 1914 and 1915. At present he is a candidate for Democratic nomination for State Senator. The wedding ceremony was attended only by a few close relatives. Rev. Charles W. Rouse, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, officiated. The couple left immediately after the wedding for an automobile trip to Pennsylvania and will return Thursday.

Source: Middletown Times Press, August 14, 1918.

James E. Price

JAMES E. PRICE was born October 18, 1830, in Washington Township.  His parents, Peter and Emma (Hopkins) Price, were old settlers in the county, coming here from New York in 1824.  Peter Price came to Washington when he was seventeen years old, and married a sister of Orman W. Hopkins, of Romeo.  He purchased a farm of 160 acres from the Government August 1, 1831, patented by Andrew Jackson.  In 1838, he removed his family to Romeo, where he engaged in mercantile business under the firm style of Pratt & Price.  This relation existed until 1844.  In the spring of  that year, he started a foundry in Almont, which he operated until 1850, when he moved on the old Philip Price farm, three miles south of Romeo.  January 2, 1868, he went to Bronson, Branch County, where he died in October, 1873, in his sixty-seventh year.  Mr. Price, of this sketch, was associated with his father in the foundry at Almont, and, in the spring of 1850, went to Rochester, Oakland County, and entered the employ of Jennings & Bro., merchants, and remained until November, 1853, when he went to California.  After about two years in the gold regions, he returned, in June, 1855.  He spent a few months in Wisconsin, and then returned to the employ of Jennings & Bro. at Rochester.  He was married, in November 1857, to Ella Duncan, a native of this county, who died July 26, 1861.  They had a daughter, the wife of Elliott R. Wilcox, of Pontiac, Oakland County.  In April, 1859, he went a second time to California nd returned to his old employ at Rochester April 15, 1861, coming to Romeo September 15, 1862, going into company with O.W. Hopkins in crockery and grocer store.  He sold out February 20, 1863, and afterward opened a small store in the frame building south of the Commercial House, where he did business twenty months.  April 22, 1865, he bought the premises where he is now located, called the Chapman property.  Here he was married again, September 10, 1867, to Lucy A. Van Blarcom, of Newton,  New Jersey.  The have one daughter, Lulu A., twelve years old.  Mr. Price has always been a Republican.  From 1870 to 1874, he was Village Trustee; resides on Chandler street.

Source:  History of Macomb County, Michigan. 1882.  Chicago:  M.A. Leeson & Co.

Henry T. Kays

As Vice-Chancellor of New Jersey, Henry T. Kays, of Newton, occupies a prominent place in the judiciary of this State.

Vice-Chancellor Kays was born September 29, 1878, in Newton, New Jersey, son of Thomas M. and the late Marielle Ryerson (Anderson) Kays. He received his early education in the Newton public school, and in the English and Classical School in Newton, from which he was graduated in 1899. In that year he entered Princeton University, where he was graduated with the class of 1903 with the degree of Bachelor of ARts. He then taught science at the English and Classical School, after which he studied law in the office of his father. In February 1910, he was admitted to the New Jersey bar. In 1910 and 1911 he was a member of the board of chosen freeholders of Sussex County, and in 1911 and 1912 he served as county counsel. He was again named county counsel in 1917, and held the office continuously thereafter until his appointment to the Court of Chancery.

In 1913, 1914 and 1915 he rendered Statewide service as representative of Sussex County in the New Jersey Assembly. In 1918 he was elected State Senator from Sussex County, and in 1921 was reelected. While a State Senator he was chosen minority leader for the 1921 session. During the First World War he was Federal Food Administrator for Sussex County. In 1924 Governor Silzer appointed him a job of the Court of Errors and Appeals to succeed Judge Ernest J. Heppenheimer, who had resigned from the office. In order to accept this post, he resigned as State Senator on March 8, 1924, being sworn in on that day as a member of the Court of Errors and Appeals.

On his appointment at Vice-Chancellor by Chancellor Luther A. Campbell, Judge Kays resigned as judge of the Court of Errors and Appeals and was sworn in as Vice-Chancellor on June 24, 1935. He was reappointed for a second term in 1942. The Court of Chancery of New Jersey dates back to 1705, after which, until 1844, the Governor or person acting as chief executive was ex-officio Chancellor. Since adoption of the 1844 constitution, chancellors have been appointed by the Governor by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. From the time of Lord Cornbury the first Chancellor of what was then the province of New Jersey, many distinguished men has graced this office. The office of Vice-Chancellor was a natural creation arising out of increased business devolving upon the Chancellor. In 1871, when the office was first established, there was but one Vice-Chancellor. The number has since grown to ten, of whom Vice-Chancellor Kays is one. In his political views he is a Democrat.

Vice-Chancellor Kays is a man of broad interests. He was elected president of the Merchants National Bank, of Newton, and upon its consolidation with the Sussex National Bank, became chairman of the board of directors and afterward president of the new institution, the Sussex & Merchants Bank, of Newton. He is a trustee of the Newton Library Association, the Newton Cemetery Company, the Newton Hospital, and has been interested in many civic improvements to the advantage of Newton.

Vice-Chancellor Kays married Katherine Van Blarcom, daughter of the late Lewis Van Blarcom and the late Mary (Thomson) Van Blarcom.

Source: Myers, William Starr. 1945. Prominent Families of New Jersey. Volume II. New York: Lewis Publishing Company.