Fred Beardsley, Civic Leader, Succumbs

Michigan legislator Fred G. Beardsley, 75, of Oxford, died August 24 in the Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital after an illness of several years. A resident of Oakland County for half a century, Beardsley was prominent in civic and state affairs. He is survived by his wife Mabel and their sons, Harold and Howard of Oxford and Stuart of Chicago, Ill.

Source: Lake Orion Review, September 4, 1958.

Rites in Texas for Mrs. Tyrrell

A lengthy illness culminated in the death Thursday morning of last week of Mrs. Ellen Christie Tyrrell, mother of W.P. Tyrrell, at St. Elizabeth’s hospital, Beaumont, Texas. She was 89 years of age.

Funeral services were held on Friday morning at Broussard Mortuary Chapel, Beaumont, with Rev. John Wesley Hardt, pastor of the First Methodist church, officiating. Entombment was in the Tyrrell Mausoleum in Magnolia cemetery at Beaumont.

A native of Belmond, Ellen Christie was born Nov. 15, 1873, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Christie. She was graduated from Belmond High School in 1891 and for three years attended Cornell college at Mount Vernon.

She was married on June 12, 1900 to W.C. Tyrrell, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.C. “Cap” Tyrrell, Sr. The elder W.C. Tyrrell was a prominent early-day citizen of this county who in 1900 moved to Texas, where engaged extensively in the oil business and rice growing and acquired numerous other business interests.

Mrs. Tyrrell and her husband had the present W.P. Tyrrell home south of town built in 1913. They moved in 1940 to Beaumont, where Mr. Tyrrell was associated with various family business interests.

They divided their time between Beaumont and Belmond, spending their summers here until Mr. Tyrrell’s death in 1943.

“Cap” Tyrrell engaged in many philanthropies in his adopted home of Beaumont. These included the gift to the city of Tyrrell Library and also of the land on which the city’s Tyrrell Park is located.

Mrs. Tyrrell is survived by her five children. They are, in addition to the son living here: Mrs. Wesley W. Kyle, Jr., Harry F. and W.C. Tyrrell, Jr. of Beaumont, and David C. Tyrrell of Shreveport, LA. She also leaves 11 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

Mrs. Tyrrell had continued membership in the Congregational church here. She was a charter member of the Wesley Class of Beaumont’s First Methodist Church and of the Women’s Society of Christian Service. She was a life member of the Beaumont Women’s Club, a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and a 50-year member of the Order of Eastern Star.

W.P. Tyrrell had gone to Beaumont a week ago last Wednesday unaware that his mother on that day had undergone major surgery. He remained there during her final illness and was in attendance at the funeral service held last Friday.

Source: Wright County Monitor, June 30, 1963.

Eli Chrysler

Eli Chrysler is numbered among the early settlers of Mifflin township, where he yet resides, his home being a half a mile west of Gahanna. Many years have passed since he came to Franklin county and decade after decade has been added to the cycle of the centuries. The contract between the site which met the gaze of the traveler when Mr. Chrysler first arrived here and the view which is spread out before the visitor of to-day is very great. Then there were to be seen unbroken forests and tracts of wet, marshy land, where to-day are fine fields of grain, surrounding commodious and substantial farm houses, while here and there are towns, villages, and cities with all the business interests known to the much older east.

Mr. Chrysler was born in Cayuga county, New York, June 15, 1836. His father, Adam Chrysler, was a native of the Empire state and a farmer by occupation. In 1838 he came to Ohio, locating in Licking county, and in 1853 he took up his abode in Franklin county, his farm being situated in Truro township. His last days, however, were passed in Mifflin township, where he died when about seventy years of age. He was of German lineage. His wife, who bore the name of Ruth Leonard, was a native of Vermont but was reared in New York and for many years was a resident of Ohio, her death occurring in Columbus when she was about seventy years of age. She was of English descent. They were the parents of four sons and five daughters, eight of whom reach years of maturity.

“Squire” Chrysler, as he is well known throughout Franklin county, was the fifth child and second son. When about two years of age he was brought by his parents from New York to Ohio, and at the age of seventeen accompanied the family on their removal from Licking to Franklin county. In the former locality he acquired his education in the common schools and through the months of summer he assisted in the labors of field and meadow. His first independent work was as a farm hand, at which he was employed by the day. He afterward embarked in the saw mill business in partnership with his brother in Truro township, where they continued until 1864. In 1865 they began the operation of a grist mill and also engaged in the manufacture and sale of lumber in Mifflin township, the partnership being continued until the death of the brother. Mr. Chrysler afterward carried on the business alone until 1875. The following year he purchased another saw mill in Mifflin township and therein converted the timber to lumber. Throughout the greater part of his active business career Mr. Chrysler engaged in a mill in Mifflin township. He also followed general farming through a portion of this time and has continuously given his attention to that industry during the past eight years, owning a farm of eighteen acres in the same township, while in Walnut township, Pickaway county, they have fifty acres.

In 1863 “Squire” Chrysler was united in marriage to Miss Susan Roshell [sic], who for about a quarter of a century was a faithful companion and helpmate on the journal of life, but her death occurred January 17, 1867. They had two children, Eva, now the wife of Harry Earl, a farmer in Mifflin township, and Charles H. who married Clara Palmer and resides with his father, with whom he is associated in business.

Mr. Chrysler was elected justice of the peace in 1878 and since that time has continuously filled that office — a period of twenty-three consecutive years. His record in the county in unparalleled by that of any incumbent in the office of the county. That he discharges his duties in a prompt and reliable manner and without fear or favor is indicated by his long continuance in that position. During this time, he has not only administered the law concerning differences between litigants, but has also married about sixty couples. In politics he has been a life-long Democrat. Socially he is connected with Mifflin Lodge, No. 518, I.O.O.F., has filled all its chairs and has taken a very active part in its work. At the time of the Civil war he was among the defenders of the Union who work the blue. He enlisted in August, 1862, as a member of Company I, Ninety-fifth Ohio Volunteer infantry, and served for nine months. At the battle of Richmond, Kentucky, he was wounded by a gun shot and on account of his injuries was honorably discharged. He holds membership in the John A. Miller Post, No. 192, G.A.R., and has served as its quartermaster. At all times he has been faithful to his duties of citizenship, honorable in his business relations and loyal to the ties of social and home life. His history shows the power of industry as a means of wrestling fortune from the hands of an adverse fate. He is now a substantial citizen of Franklin county, and has attained the position through his well directed efforts.

Source: A Centennial Biographical History of the City of Columbus and Franklin County, Ohio. 1901. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company.

Dorothy F. Hutchinson

Miss Dorothy F. Hutchinson, formerly of Lawrenceville, died Oct. 7 in the Olean General Hospital at Olean, N.Y., after a long illness. She had made her home with her brother and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. George L. Hutchinson, since May.

She was the daughter of the late Wilbur W. and Emma Losey Hutchinson, of Lawrenceville. The family is well known in Tioga county and is numbered among the early settlers of New England in the 1630’s.

Miss Hutchinson was graduated from the Mansfield State Normal School, class of 1912, obtained her B.S. degree from the University of Pennsylvania, class of 1925, and her M.S. from the same institution, class of 1934. She also spent several summers at various universities and colleges.

She taught in the Pennsylvania schools for 39 years. For the last 2 years, she was a 4th grade supervisor of student teachers in Mansfield State Teachers College. Probably the outstanding feature of her teaching career was the fact that she was an authority on Indian lore. One of the units she prepared on this subject was made part of the Pennsylvania Public School Elementary Curriculum. Teachers from Tioga county are familiar with her demonstrations on Indians conducted at the college.

Miss Hutchinson needs no eulogizing as to the absolute integrity of her character or ability as an instructor and supervisor, since her name is known throughout the length and breadth of Tioga county in both respects.

Throughout her teaching career she took an active part in many clubs and organizations. She was a member of the Outlook Club and for many years a member of the P.E.O. in Mansfield and was Wellsboro DAR Chapter [sic]. From time to time she served as an officer in these organizations.

For many years she was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, as was her family.

She is survived by one brother, George L. Hutchinson of Olean; a nephew, Richard G. Hutchinson, instructor in the Oakfield Central School in Oakfield, N.Y.; a grand-niece, Deborah Ann Hutchinson of Oakfield; a cousin, Carl F. Van Norman of Mansfield; and a cousin, Bernard W. Hutchinson, of Millport, N.Y.

Services were held in Mansfield last Saturday, in charge of Rev. Herbert Harrison, past of the First Methodist Church in Olean, assisted by the pastors of the First Presbyterian Churches of Mansfield and Lawrenceville. Interment in the family plot in Lawrenceville.

Source: Wellsboro Gazette, October 15, 1953.

The Walling Ditch

The Walling Ditch, owned by Jerome B. Walling, was an important source of water during the early days of Boise, ID.  It appears that the company was a family business that employed, at various times, Jerome Walling’s sons,  Enos C. and Nelson B. Walling, and his son-in-law, James Mullany. Following are some news items about the Walling Ditch.

NOTICE: The undersigned is now cleaning out the Boise City Water Ditch, bringing water to the upper part of the city. Those desiring to take water, and pay for the same in work, can have an opportunity to do so by applying immediately for work. J.B. Walling, Superintendent, Boise City, I.T., April 13, 1872. (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, April 13, 1872)

Those who have observed the growth of our city will remember the building of the ditch south of Main street, and the rapid settlement of that part of town lying along the ditch, known as Grove street. This was owing to facilities afforded by the ditch in obtaining water for irrigating purposes. Many fine residences were erected, shade trees, shubbery and fruit trees planted out, and have grown up, so that this street is truly lovely and delightful. In the north or upper side of town there was no ditch, and although this portion of town was considerably well settled up in 1864, and has been growing slowly since that time, the houses are inferior and property cheaper than on the south side. The land is quite as good and the surface level, but the drawback for the want of water was seriously felt, and without this advantage it was plainly evident that this portion of town would never become desirable. After several ineffectual efforts, a ditch was brought in from Boise River covering all this portion of the city. For some cause or other the ditch has not proved profitable to the owner, or all that was necessary for the prosperity of those who depended upon it for watering their trees and gardens. It was, however, largely improved last year, and afforded water the major part of the season. This year the ditch has been farther [sic] improved, and we have every reason to believe it will yield a good supply of water. Mr. J.B. Walling is in charge of the ditch, and there is no doubt but that he understands the business and will keep all this portion of town fully supplied with water during the whole season. He has reduced the water rates, and no man need to grumble, and proposes to insure a supply of water by collecting the rent from time to time as the season advances so that none shall say that they have paid for water they didn’t have. There is no reason why this ditch should not yield as certain a supply of water as the lower ditch, and we are satisfied it will under Mr. Walling’s good management. If this fact is established it will raise the credit of the ditch property, and make the property in the upper portion of town the most desirable. The location is more elevated, and with the same improvements, residences, shade trees and gardens, it would be more beautiful and we doubt not will eventually become more valuable. With the public square well fenced, a good State House erected, shade trees grown up, and the grounds laid out in walks and otherwise ornamented, who would not consider a residences [sic] in this locality as desirable, if not more so, than in any other portion of our city. (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, June 18, 1872)

WATER, WATER: Persons will take notice that water is now running in the Boise Water Ditch, and they are required to clean out the town ditches, preparatory to using it. Terms, one half down and the other half payable the first of July. All persons using the water will be required to pay. — J.B. Walling, Superintendent. (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, May 13, 1873)

WATER! WATER! All persons wanting water from the upper ditch will clean out their ditches and apply to me for water. — J.B. Walling (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, May 20, 1876)

GET READY FOR WATER: Parties who want water from the Walling ditch will attend to putting in taps or boxes immediately, as it will be inconvenient to put them in when the ditch is full of water. The water will be let into the ditch in three of four days. — James Mullaney, manager of the Walling ditch (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, April 19, 1881)

NO DAMS: All persons are notified not to put any dam or dams in the Walling Ditch, as any or all persons who do so after the publication of this notice will be prosecuted. — James Mullaney, Superintendent (Idaho Tri-Weekly Statesman, August 2, 1881)

The bridge across the Walling ditch, on the Warm Springs road, is an old rattletrap. It is not half as wide as it ought to be, the plank should be thicker, put on new stringers and fastened down, and a good railing put up at each end of the bridge. It is only a miracle that some accident has not happened at this place and we hope the road supervisor of that district will see that a new and substantial bridge is made over that ditch. And while he is mending his ways in this respect, let him cause the road to be opened through Bob Wilson’s place to its proper place. We have read in the scriptures that the road to the penitentiary is “broad and smooth,” and we are in scripture land. (Idaho Statesman, September 23, 1881)

Four-fifths of the Walling Ditch was sold by J.B. Walling to Joseph Perrault on Monday last for $10,500, and one fifth by E.L. Curtis to R.Z. Johnson. (Idaho Daily Statesman, March 7, 1888)

It will be seen that Mr. Walling has inserted an advertisement in our columns in which he requests that all ditches that take water from his own be cleaned out. In addiiton to this Marshall Iseli puts in his demand and says they must be, or he will enforce the city ordinances in that direction, as he does not mean that every sidewalk and street on the line dependent upon that ditch shall be converted into a mud puddle. (Idaho Daily Statesman, March 31, 1888)

The marshal had the water shut off in the Walling ditch yesterday because property owners had not complied with the law and some of the streets became flooded. People should clean out their [unclear]. The marshal does not wish to be severe and the acts of the negligent cause others to suffer. The city cannot forebear much longer. (Idaho Daily Statesman, April 10, 1888)

Water from the Walling ditch is improving vegetation on the north side of town very much. (Idaho Daily Statesman, April 10, 1888).

The expression of intention made by Mr. Joseph Perrault, as the representative of the owners of the Walling ditch, to no longer sell irrigating water to the people of Boise City, deserves consideration. It is to be presumed that Mr. Perrault would not make such a statement unless he meant it, and if the owners of the Walling ditch do intend to discontinue running water into the city, some movements should be made at once to arrange for an irrigation supply. It will not do to permit Boise’s beautiful trees and lawns to die for lack of irrigation, and more rneans than the water company’s supply will undoubtedly need to be obtained. (Idaho Daily Statesman, September 12, 1891).

Curlew gulch is as dry as a bone. The water supply from the city serves for drinking and culinary purposes, while the horses get their drink from the Walling ditch. (Idaho Daily Statesman, October 4, 1891)

The city council has ordered the bridge across the Walling ditch at Ninth street to be repaired. The owners of the ditch refused to repair the bridge. The city will do so and bring suit to recover the cost in the event of the Grove street ditch case being decided in its favor. (Idaho Daily Statesman, October 14, 1899)

Gaspar Rorick, Jr.

Gasper Rorick, Jr. lived probably about four years in Pennsylvania. Of his early life little is known to us at the present time. The most we know is obtained from a letter from the Veterans Administration, Bureau of Pensions, Washington, D.C. where it is stated: You are advised that it appears from the papers in the Revolutionary War pensions claim S. 833 that Gasper Rorick was born in Pennsylvania. His father died when he was about 4 or 5 years old (about 1752 or 1753) possibly later as there seems to be some discrepancy about Gaspar’s age, and his mother moved from Pennsylvania. The names of his parents are not given, nor is it stated to what place they moved. While residing in Sussex County, N.J. he enlisted and served with the N.J. Militia, as follows:

In the spring of 1776, one month in Capt. Frank Hedley’s company; in the same year, one month in Capt. Richard Edsall’s company, one month in Capt. Kirkendall’s company, one month in Capt. Hill’s company, one month in Capt. William Johnson’s company, two tours of one month each in Capt. Bockhover’s company, and two weeks in Capt. Jacob Stoll’s company under Major Harrison, and was at the Battle of Germantown. There are no specific dates of service given. He was allowed pension on his application executed August 31, 1832, at which time he was living in Wantage Township, Sussex Co., N.J., aged 81.

Gasper Rorick, Jr. was a little man and in his declining years wore a red cap with a long tassel like old people used to wear years ago. He also smoked a pipe according to information which was sent by Miss Margaret Cox, a descendant of Gasper Rorick, Jr. who resided in the vicinity of Gasper Rorick Jr.’s home.

May 14, 1936 Sussex County, N.J. the following news item appeared in the papers:

“The Chinkchewunska Chapter of D.A.R. will unveil three markers on Saturday, May 15, 1936 on graves of Revolutionary Soldiers in Papakating Cemetery on the Hamburg Road. Gosper Rorick, Jr. of the N.J. Troops will be one of the soldiers so honored, and at the Rorick grave Miss Margaret Cox of Newton, a descendant, will read the biography. Anson DeWitt of Sussex will unveil the marker. The other two so honored were Quartermaster Azariah Martin and Nathaniel Martin.

Source: Lundahl, Helen Rorick. (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America. (NB: This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings.)

Death Summons Mrs. Yocom, 57

Mrs. Goldie L. Yocom, 57, of 1022 Sunset avenue, died at 2 o’clock this morning at her home following a lingering illness of complications.

She was born at Pomeroy on Sept. 12, 1890, the daughter of Howard and Ola Chase Wilson, but had made this city her home for the major part of her life.

Mrs. Yocom was a member of the Central Trinity Methodist church, Zanesville Chapter No. 52 OES, Amrou Caldron Beulah Temple of Pythian Sisters and the Timber Run Grange.

She is survived by her husband, Ray; two daughters, Mrs. John Bell, wife of Major John Bell has just returned from Japan and Miss Betty Lou Yocom of the home; two sons, Richard G. of Montgomery avenue and R. Alfred Yocom of Maple avenue; her mother, Mrs. Ola Wilson of Moorehead avenue; four brothers, Roy of Montgomery avenue, Morton H. of Pleasant Valley, Lester of Pomeroy, and Guy Wilson of Rushville; three sisters, Mrs. Roy Brown and Mrs. Habron Holdcroft, both of Moorehead avenue, and Mrs. Dora Slonaker of Pine street; and four grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held at 2 o’clock Wednesday afternoon at the Dean-Swope funeral home with Rev. L.A. Schreiber, pastor of the Central Trinity church, officiating. Burial will be in Memorial Park.

The body will remain at the funeral home.

Source: Zanesville Signal, May 17, 1948.

Educational News

Sharon Carroll, daugher of Mr. and Mrs. Melvin Carroll, has enrolled at the Goldey-Beacom School of Business for the summer session. (Denton Journal, June 21, 1923)

Those who received certificates of promotion from the seventh grade of Hillsboro school are Roberta Rowe, Dorothy Knotts, Hazel Passwaters, Mildred Worth, Pearl Eveland, Herbert Rice, John Eveland, and Lee Seymour. (Denton Journal, June 25, 1921)

Mr. and Mrs. John Eveland, Mrs. J.E. Eveland, and Miss Pearl Eveland attended commencement exercises at Western Maryland College last Monday. Thos. Eveland, a son of Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Eveland, was a graduate. (Denton Journal, June 13, 1936)

Stephen Ray Hanson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Marion R. Hanson of Junction City, has enrolled at Huntington College, Huntington, Ind. Huntington College is founded and supported by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ. (Zanesville Times Recorder, September 22, 1966)

Fairmont Seminary last night sent out its annual quota of cultured womanhood. Sixteen misses representing nine states and the District of Columbia, who have been making preparation for their future careers received their diplomas, certifying they are competent to assume “added rights and new responsibilities” in the parlance of Representative Victor Murdock, of Kansas, who delivered the address of the evening. The graduates are Mary Katharine Brown, of Ohio; Miss Lillian Beatty, of Ohio; Miss Dorothy Marie Borland, of Pennsylvania; Miss Ethel Louise Foster, of this city; Miss Virginia Guitar, of Texas; Miss Hazel Herr, of Pennsylvania; Miss Mabel Elizabeth Halloway, of Kansas; Miss Sarah Frances Hancock, of Texas; Miss Eliza Watts Killian, of South Carolina; Miss Katharine Lauck, of Pennsylvania; Miss Mildred Mann, of Missouri; Miss Ada Rorick McConnell, of Michigan; Miss Grace Marie McClelland, of Pennsylvania; Miss Mabel Clair Payne, of Arkansas; Miss Harriette Richardson, of Texas; and Miss Mattie Lee Yokley, of Tennessee. (Washington Post, May 28, 1910)

Miss Alice Van Sickle, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Van Sickle has been selected as valedictorian of the graduating class of Port Jervis High School, it was announced today by Charles D. Marsh, principal. Maintaining the tradition of a number of years, Miss Van Sickle was chosen by virtue of her holding honor position in the class with the highest average for for years. (Middletown Times Herald, June 22, 1934)

Salem, May 13 — To-day were held the closing exercises of the Oregon school for the blind in the presence of a few invited guests and friends of the pupils. The programmes were very interesting, and consisted of exercises which those who have the full five senses might be proud to be able to render as well. These were not graduating exercises, and the entire class will return next year. The names of the pupils are: Ernest Voos, Portland; Bertie Waller, Salem; Fred V. Cooper, Portland; Misses Lou Lewis, Corvallis; Mollie Read, Mitchell, Wasco county; Blanche Savage, near Salem; Sadie Bristow, near Monmouth; Mary Baker, Silverton; Jess Watkins, Albany; Hattie Carruthers, Albany; Amy Walling, Polk county. The school is under the supervision of D.B. Gray; matron, Mrs. Gray; assistant teacher, Miss N.J. McFallen; music teacher, Miss Helen Holman. (Portland Oregonian, May 14, 1887)

David Rorick

Rorick, David, insurance; born near Columbus, Franklin Co., O.; son of Cornelius Hoyt and Julia Fowler (Kimball) Rorick; educated in district and high schools, Franklin Co., O.; married, Wyandotte, Kan., Sept. 27, 1869, Lucy A. Meriwether; one son, David, Jr. Began business career as clerk in hotel, Newcastle, Ind., 1858; learned marble cutting trade and followed it until enlisting, in 1862, as private, co. G, Thirty-first Iowa Infantry; promoted to first lieutenant on battlefield at Vicksburg, Miss., and thereafter serve on staff of W.T. Sherman; took part in battle of Chickasaw Bluff, Arkansas Post, siege of Vicksburg, Lookout Mountain, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain, around Atlanta, Jonesboro, March to the Sea, and Columbia, S.C., where he was taken prisoner, exchanged and returned to the command at Raleigh, N.C., joined in march through Virginia to Washington, D.C., where armies were reviewed by Grant and Sherman and mustered out in 1865. Resumed marble business and studied law; removed to Jefferson, Co., Kan., and began practice of law in firm of McArthur & Rorick, 1867; elected to lower house of Kansas legislature, 1869-70, and was one of three members who voted against ratification of the Fifteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States; become connected with American Central Insurance Co., November 1869, and has served consecutively as special agent, general agent on Pacific coast, 1877-1878, general adjuster, second vice president, 1894, and as vice president since 1903. Democrat. Member Military Order of Loyal Legion. Mason (32º), Knight Templar. Odd Fellow. Member, Ransom Post, G.A.R. Club: Missouri Athletic. Office: 816 Olive St.

Source: The Book of St. Louisans: A Biographical Dictionary of the Leading Living Men of the City of St. Louis and Vicinity. 1912. St. Louis: The St. Louis Republic.

Small Town News—Zanesville Signal & Zanesville Times Recorder

Mrs. John Bell of Dayton will arrive soon to spend one month visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. R.E. Yocum of 1022 Sunset avenue. (Zanesville Signal, December 8, 1945)

Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Drumm of 124 Hamline avenue have received word that their son, Virgil Drumm, technician 5-g, has arrived safely in England. (Zanesville Signal, December 28, 1943)

OFF TO FLORIDA: Mrs. Fuller V. Welsh, Mrs. Wilbur Mendenall, Mrs. Mayme Starch [sic] Flesher and her mother, Mrs. Ashville [sic] Search, and Mrs. Byron Vandenbark will leave this morning for Miami, Fla., where they will spend several weeks. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, February 7, 1931)

Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Hanson of Junction City are spending a few days with friends here. (Zanesville Signal, October 4, 1926)

Robert Christy, 19, Richard Christy, 12, and Mary Frances Christy, 17, all children of Charles Christy, 230 Orchard street, are suffering from scarlet fever, as is Zane Hanson, 9, son of Virgil Hanson, Shawnee. (Zanesville Signal, November 5, 1934)

This Misses Mildred and Bonnie Hartley entertained members of the Standard Bearer Missionary society of the M.E. church at their home on Washington street Wednesday evening with 20 members present. Refreshments were served and a social hour enjoyed. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, April 7, 1939)

Roseville: Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lacy and family have moved into the H.H. Guy property, Terrace, formerly occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Lester Lewis and family. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, December 4, 1928)

Charles Lacy was honored with a party at his home in Roseville on the occasion of his 80th birthday anniversary Jan. 19. Nearly 30 persons were present. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, January 19, 1972)

W.D. Murphy, Jr., of Martin road, and brother, John Murphy of Columbus, are on a hunting trip in Michigan. They were joined there by their cousins, Harry Metcalfe and Kirk Rorick, and their uncle Cosper Rorick. (Zanesville Signal, October 9, 1938)

Mr. and Mrs. Chester Pickerall [sic] and their son Ronald of Chicago, Ill., are spending the holidays with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Clem Reed of Lake Drive, and Mr. and Mrs. William Search of Moxahala avenue. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, December 25, 1925)

Mrs. Augustus Printz who has been seriously ill at her home here [Crooksville] is reported somewhat improved. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, April 2, 1930)