Death of Leroy W. Rorick at his Home in Morenci Last Saturday Morning
Leroy W. Rorick, a well known citizen of Morenci, died at his home here last Saturday morning, March 10, 1917, after an illness of several months. The funeral service was held Monday under the direction of the K. of P. Lodge of which he was a member.
Judge B.L. Hart of Adrian and Hon. B.D. Chandler of Hudson, who represented the order, gave words of sympathy and helpfulness to the bereaved family.
Miss Virginia Wilson sang a solo. The out of town relatives who attended the funeral were: Mrs. William Rorick of Buffalo, N.Y., Mrs. Spencer Sloan, Mrs. Della McCloe, H.C. Rorick and wife, A.V. Foster and wife of Toledo, J.C. Rorick of Wauseon, Dr. and Mrs. E.H. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Sullivan, P.F. Cawley and daughter, Helen, Earl Baldwin and wife, John Rorick and Mrs. G.H. Crane of Fayette, Hon. G.B. Horton and John Cole of Weston.
Leroy W. Rorick was born in Seneca township, Sept. 14, 1847. His father, Cosper Rorick, a native of New Jersey, came to Michigan in 1840 and commenced with the pioneers in the work of changing a wilderness to a domain of elegant homes and productive farms. His father was married to Nancy A. Breese, Jan. 15, 1845, and they settled on a farm one mile north of Seneca in a log house with primitive surroundings, where Leroy was born. He grew up on the farm laboring with his father in the fields as boys in those days did and walking two and a half miles to a district school house for his education which was completed at the Medina Academy.
He was married Feb. 10, 1870 to Harriet L. Porter to whom were born one daughter, Nellie R., wife of Dr. Murphy of Columbus, OH and Cosper M., cashier of the First National Bank of Morenci. He commenced the work of an active life on the farm where he resided until 1888, when he moved to Morenci where he lived a retired life for one year, then going to Fayette where he purchased a livery business which he successfully followed for nine years. Disposing of the same, he followed the business of harness making for about six years in Morenci, after he which he purchased a farm two miles west of Weston where he resided about three years. He then purchased a small country home near Seneca where he lived until the spring of 1916 when he built a home and moved to Morenci.
His life has been a full demonstration of industry, kindness and business integrity and his faithful friends are numerous wherever he is known. His departure is mourned by all who knew him. He is survived by one brother, Mark C. Rorick of Morenci.
Source: Lundahl, Helen Rorick. (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America. (NB: This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings.)
Wilcox Chapter of the G.A.R. held its philanthropic sewing meeting on January 14 in the home of Mrs. Grace Cawley, 8821 Wallace street. (Chicago Surbanite Economist, January 20, 1943)
Herbert Cawley of Marietta is the guest of Dr. and Mrs. Rorick at the hospital. (Athens Messenger, July 23, 1903)
Mrs. Herbert Cawley, 8827 Wallace street, is spending a month’s vacation at Flint Lake, Ind. (Chicago Surbanite Economist, August 16, 1927)
Mr. and Mrs. H.H. Cawley and their sons, Harry and Charles, 8821 Wallace st., spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. W.L. Norris, 7842 Bishop street. (Chicago Surbanite Economist, March 22, 1927)
Mr. Perley F. Cawley of the firm of Fish and Cawley, Clothiers died at home in Fayette Wednesday evening, Oct. 22nd, aged 63. Services were held at his late residence in Fayette Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Mr. Cawley has been a prominent and useful citizen of Fayette for many years; for 16 years he was associated with Dr. E.H. Cawley in the drug business in Fayette. His wife who preceded him in death in 1899 was a daughter of the late Elias B. Rorick. Mr. Cawley leaves one son, Herbert E., who is the owner of a Stock Ranch in New Mexico, but who has been with his father during his late illness, and one daughter, Mary Hellen, who has been the home keeper since her mother’s death. Among those who attended the funeral from outside of Fayette were, Mr. and Mrs. J.T. Rorick from The Dalles, Oregon, Mr. A.V. Foster and Mr. and Mrs. Horton Rorick of Toledo and Mr. and Mrs. John C. Rorick of Wauseon.
Source: Fulton County Tribune, October 31, 1919.
Elias B. Rorick was born in Horse Heads, Chemung County, N.Y., December 9, 1831, and came to Michigan with his parents in December, 1836. His father, William Rorick, was born in Deckertown, Sussex County, N.J., March 30, 1805, and was the son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Wilson) Rorick, who were natives of Sussex County. The ancestor of the Rorick family was a German, who settled in Sussex County, N.J., early in the 18th century. The ancestors of the Wilson family were Irish. William Rorick lived in Sussex County until 1826, when he went “West,” and settled in the “Lake Country” near Horse Heads, and lived there until the fall of 1836. In December, that year, he started for Michigan with a team of horses, coming through Canada, and crossed the Detroit River from Windsor on the ice. From Detroit he came to Adrian, and finally settled on Section 18, in Seneca Township, in this county. Here he was successful and continued to purchase land until he owned some 200 acres. He resided on this farm for about 35 years. He was a thrifty, successful businessman, and was held in high esteem by all who came in contact with him.
He became a victim of ill health, and about 1875 removed to the village of Morenci, where he died, January 15, 1898. May 22, 1830, William Rorick married Miss Phoebe Ann Breese, daughter of Elias and Deborah (Bennett) Breese, Horse Heads, N.Y., and they had five children, as follows: Elias B., John C., Jacob M., Estell H., and Lussetta. Mrs. Phoebe (Breese) Rorick was born in Horse Heads, N.Y., October 27, 1811, and died in Seneca, this county, September 1, 1858.
Elias B. Rorick was reared a farmer, and was educated in the primitive country school house, supplemented by a three months’ course in the Medina Academy, J.M. Barrows, principal. At the age of seventeen years he went to Adrian, and for two years was engaged as clerk in the then large and prosperous hardware store of George L. Bidwell. In 1852, he went to Corning, N.Y., and for two years acted as clerk in a dry goods store. In the winter of 1854-5 he went to Cleveland, Ohio, and spent three months in Fulsom’s Commercial School. In the spring of 1855 he went to Green Bay, Wis., where he was engaged for six months in the fish business with a Cleveland, Ohio firm. The next two years he spent at Ontonagon, as manager of the Evergreen Bluff copper mine. He returned home in the spring of 1856, making the trip from Ontonagon to Green Bay with dogs and Indians. In April 1856, he went to Kansas in the height of the “Border Ruffian” troubles and witnessed many thrilling scenes. He soon found employment in the government corps of topographical engineers who were selecting a route for a future railroad to San Francisco. He remained in this service for about six months, and returned home in December. In the year 1857 he went back to agriculture, which he followed for about three years, when he went to Aurora, Illinois, and farmed it for about seven years.
In 1867 he went to Chillicothe, Mo., purchased a small farm, and remained there until 1869, when he returned and went on his father’s farm. In April 1873, he removed to the village of Morenci and went into the employ of J.P. Cawley & Co. in the general mercantile business. That fall he went to work for Rothrock, Cawley & Green, in the hardware business, and has been engaged in that trade ever since. In April, 1876, he purchased a half interest in the store, in company with Henry E. Green. He was for 27 years express agent and six years postmaster in Morenci. In 1896 he was made cashier of the Bank of Morenci. In 1900 a national bank was organized, and Mr. Rorick was elected president, which position he now holds. He has acted as Town Clerk for six years, and has served on the public school board for 25 years.
He is a member of the Congregational Church, and affiliates with the Republican party. August 25, 1857, Elias B. Rorick married Miss Mary A. Corwin, daughter of George E. Corwin, of Batavia, Ill., and they had three children, as follows: Luella, born in Seneca, this county, June 9, 1858, married Pearly [sic] Cawley, of Morenci, was the mother of three children, and died in Fayette, Ohio, November 27, 1899; William B., born in Aurora, Ill., August 12, 1861, resides in Morenci, and is engaged in the hardware business; George C., born same place, November 29, 1863, died July 11, 1889.
Mrs. Mary A. (Corwin) Rorick was born in Watkins Glen, N.Y., March 14, 1835, and died in Morenci, March 23, 1895. September 21, 1899, Mr. Rorick married Miss Amelia Shepherd, of Morenci. She was born in Monroeville, Ohio, March 16, 1850. Her parents were English, and were early settlers in Huron County, Ohio. They afterwards removed to Fulton County, where they resided for many years. Her mother died in Morenci, June 9th, 1898.
Source: Knapp, John I. and R.I. Bonner. 1903. Illustrated History and Biographical Record of Lenawee County, Michigan. Adrian, MI: The Times Printing Company.