John J. Stanton, in his column, “About Interesting People” devotes a part of this week’s issue of the Sussex, N.J., Independent to Ford W. Margarum, of whom he has the following to say:
Ford W. Margarum, who was again elected president of the Farmers’ National Bank, of Sussex, Tuesday last, began his services with the bank more than 25 years ago. He has filled the office of president continuously since the death of Charles A. Wilson, in October, 1907. He is a natural, ingrained banker and business man. His great grandfather was a great business man and a pioneer in Hamburg. His wife was Mary Ford, who died in 1856. Stephen Ford Margarum, the son of Samuel Edward and Mary Ford Margarum, was born at Hamburg in 1793, and died 1852. He inherited the enterprise of his family, and his business connections were very extensive. In 1827, nearly a hundred years ago, he bought the estate of William Smith, merchant, of New York city, 1,088 and 65-100 acres of the Colonel Seward tract upon the Snufftown mountain. He added to this purchase by others afterwards made. The venerable John Seward mansion was his home and his mother, Mrs. Mary F. Margarum, resided with him. About 69 years ago the old house was taken down to make room for the more commodious and tasteful dwelling erected by his son, Noah H. Margarum. Mr. Margarum had a saw mill and grist mills and ran the forge upon the Seward creek branch of the Pennaquock above his house and near the Vernon township line. The Col. Seward here mentioned was the grandfather of the distinguished William H. Seward, of the Lincoln cabinet. The latter was born in Florida, Orange county, in 1801. Dr. Samuel Swezy Seward at the time of his death was one of the wealthiest men in Orange county. On his mother’s side Ford’s great grandfather, grandfather, great uncle and father were all presidents of the Farmers’ National Bank. You can now readily see where Ford gets his name.
Source: Orange County Times-Press, January 20, 1925.