Katherine Sample, David C. Tyrrell Are Married In St. Mark’s Church

The wedding of Katherine Gregg Sample and David Christie Tyrrell of Philadelphia, one of the most beautiful ever attended by Shreveport society, took place at 8 o’clock Tuesday evening in St. Mark’s Episcopal church. The ceremony was performed Rev. Dr. James M. Owens assisted by the Rev. Anson Phelps Stokes, Jr. After the service a formal reception was held in the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Guy Sample, on Jordan street.

The chancel was aisled with many calla lilies in high standards, woodwardia and multiple cathedral tapers in seven-arm candelabra.

While the guest were assembling, Mrs. H.R. Moore presented a nuptial recital—a half hour of organ music including “To An Evening Star” and the Prelude from Act III of “Lohengrin” (Wagner); “Nuptial Song” (DuBois) and “Cantable (Wilder), at the conclusion of which the vested choir of St. Mark’s entered in procession singing “The Voice That Breathes O’er Eden” followed by the playing of the Bridal Chorus from “Lohengrin” marked the entrance of the bridal party, an evening hymn was improvised during the service and the recessional was Mendelsohn’s “Wedding March”

First to enter were the groomsmen and ushers, Mr. Oliver Sample, Mr. Morton McMahon, Mr. Wilton Sample and Mr. Staunton Sample.

The graceful single file of brides-matrons include the bridegroom’s sister, Mrs. Carol Tyrrell Gilmore of Beaumont, Mrs. James A. Bolton of Alexandria and Mrs. Frances W. Scott, sister of the bride. They were facsimile gowns of amber-gold silk net tucked and fitted from yoke to hemline with circular ruching edging the shoulder capelet and floor-length skirt. The apple green velvet of their wide sashes matched the velvet ribbon bows on their formal bouquets of yellow calla lilies.

Similarly made of silk net tucked and ruched, but of pastel blue, was the gown of the lovely blonde maid of honor, Miss Betty Robinson. Her sash and the streamers of her yellow calla lilies bouquet were of lapis lazuli blue velvet.

The bride entering with her father, Mr. Samuel Guy Sample, who was to give her in marriage, appeared very beautiful in her Tafel wedding gown of old ivory stain fashioned calyx-like with a high corded collar[,] long tight sleeves tapering to a point and rows of covered buttons from elbow to wrist and from neckline to waist at the back. A veil of illusion caught to her dark hair with a shallow cap of Chantilly lace and a fillet of orange blossoms, extended the length of her long court train. She carried a formal bouquet of white calla lilies and calla leaves tied with white satin.

They were met at the chancel steps by the bridegroom and his best man, his brother, Mr. William C. Tyrrell, of Belmond, Iowa, who, like the groomsmen wore the bride’s favor, a gardenia boutonniere.

Mrs. Samuel Guy Sample chose for her daughter’s wedding a gown of gold brocaded lame. The groom’s mother, Mrs. William C. Tyrrell of Beaumont, wore a white brilliant-beaded gown with a formal train.

At the reception following, the guests were received in the hallway of the Sample home by Mrs. Douglas A. Lee and Mr. J. Reese Jones. In the drawing rooms, which were decorated with innumerable spring flowers, were the bride and groom and their attendants, Miss Robinson with Mr. William C. Tyrrell, Mrs. Bolton with Mr. Wilton Sample, Mrs. Gilmore and Mr. Oliver Sample, Mrs. Scott with Mr. Staunton Sample, and Mr. Morton McMahon; the hosts, Mr. and Mrs. Sample with Mr. and Mrs. William C. Tyrrell, Sr., Mr. James A. Bolton and Mrs. William C. Tyrrell, Jr., Francis W. Scott and Mrs. J.W. Garth of Beaumont; and Mr. and Mrs. Harry C. Tyrrell of Beaumont; Mr. and Mrs. Sidney J. Harman; Mr. and Mrs. Edward R. Jones, Miss Elsie Jones and Mrs. B.M. Bryan of Washington, D.C.

In the dining room the bride’s table was centered with a tiered wedding cake crowned with a spray of valley lilies. At the ends of the lace-covered oval were identical punch bowls of antique silver, gold lined. On buffet and serving tables were pale yellow souvenir roses and ivory tapers in silvel [sic] candelabra. Ices in yellow rose molds, little tiered sandwiches and embossed cakes and confections were served. Presiding or assisting in the dining room were Miss Lena Jones, Mrs. Delia Gahagan, Mrs. Hill Shepherd, Miss Minnie Well, Miss Nora Laskey, Mrs. Walter B. Chandler, Miss Josephine Hardin and Mrs. Samuel Webb Smith.

Later in the evening the bridal couple left for their honeymoon in New York City, Mrs. Tyrrell wearing a very smart costume suit of ruby-tone crepe with collar, cuffs and pockets of kolinsky and a peaked toque. They are to arrive in Philadelphia in a fortnight where they will have an apartment at Bryn Mawr Gables, Bryn Mawr, PA. Their attractive remembrances to their attendants were lame evening bags from the bride and leather travel cases from the groom.

Katherine Sample Tyrrell is the younger daughter of prominent parents and one of the most charming young personalities in society. She is a Junior Leaguer, a graduate of Gardner School in New York and a former student of the National Cathedral School in Washington, D.C.

Mr. Tyrrell, the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. William Casper Tyrrell, is a member of a noteworthy Texas and Iowa family. He was educated in the east and is a graduate of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. His fraternity is Sigma Chi.

Notable among out-of-town guests were Mr. and Mrs. J. Cooke Wilson of Beaumont.

Source: Shreveport Times, January 27, 1935.

Advertisements

Probate News

The will of the late Adam P. Drumm has been filed for probate. All the properey [sic] is left to the widow, Harriet H. Drumm, and if she leaves anything it is to be divided equally between Harvey F. Drumm and Orrie Ashwell Drumm, who are named as administrators.

Source: Zanesville Times Recorder, June 25, 1912.

Entertained Citizens and Physicians

More than forty of the prominent citizens of this city, together with several of the leading physicians of this city and the Missouri side were present at the informal opening of Dr. May Rochelle’s sanitarium which she started three months ago. The opening which was an invitational affair was a “get acquainted” meeting, and games and cards made the evening an enjoyable one. The feature of the evening, the guests declare was the elaborate luncheon served by the hostess.

W.J. Rigsby deputy chief license inspector, made the principal address of the evening, eulogizing Dr. Rochelle’s wrok [sic] in founding the sanitarium and welcoming her institution to the city in behalf of the guests present. He told of the benefits that would accrue to the city from the location here was [sic] an institution as Dr. Rochelle has opened here.

Source: Kansas City Gazette Globe, May 28, 1916.

Some Short Business Items

Hobart O. Hamlin and Zelora E. Brown, (under the firm name of Hamlin & Brown), will open their Real Estate, Insurance & Loan office at room No. 2, Centre Block, over the National Exchange Bank, Monday, April 2d next. (Minneapolis Star Tribune, March 26, 1877)

The new auto shop of John Rorick is nearly completed and will soon be ready for use. The new structure is of brick and is an addition to the appearance of the street. (San Bernardino, September 13, 1907)

Mrs. Charles G. Amberg

Mrs. Jennie R. Amberg, died Wednesday at 3:45 o’clock at the family home 612 Columbia street, aged forty-nine years.  She is survived by her husband, Charles G. Amberg; a daughter, Caroline J. Amberg; a son, Charles R. Amberg; also by her mother, Mrs. Caroline Rhodimer; three sisters, Mrs. E.D. Bostick [sic], Corning; Mrs. F.A. Daniels, Buffalo; Mrs. F.H. Grover, Elmira.  Mrs. Amberg was a member of Hedding Methodist Episcopal church.  Mrs. Amberg has been failing in health since the death of her son, the Rev. Rowland C. Amberg, who was the victim of the infantile paralysis epidemic that centered around Syracuse where he lived.  Rev. Dr. Amberg died at at [sic] Syracuse, September 8, 1916.  He had graduated from Elmira public schools, later attending Syracuse University.  His death proved an overwhelming shock to his mother.  The funeral will be held at the home Saturday at 5 p.m., the Rev. E.E. Merring to officiate.  Burial in Woodlawn cemetery.

Source:  Elmira Star-Gazette, April 1, 1920.

Cancer Cure in Family Years To Be Made Public

Sanitarium May Be Erected Here in Which To Practice Rochelle Remedy

Many Claim Benefit

With the purpose in mind of “relieving a suffering humanity,” Mrs. Maybelle Rochelle Chambers and Dr. John Volmer formed a partnership last week to resume the practice of a cure for cancer which has remained a secret in the Rochelle family since the Civil War.

The Rochelle sanitarium, 302 South Oak street, West Side, which has been closed since the death on April 6 of Mrs. M.S. Rochelle has been reopened by Mrs. Chambers, her granddaughter, and Dr. Volmer.

Mrs. Rochelle, whose husband, Dr. Rochelle, began to practice the cure in Wichita in 1885, imparted the secret to her granddaughter a couple of months before she died. It is the intention of Mrs. Chambers to keep the remedy in the sanitarium laboratory until her death, when she will either reveal it to her niece or tell it to the world outright.

Formula Is Secret

Mrs. Chambers is now the only one of the descendants of Dr. M.S. Rochelle who knows the formula, the efficaciousness of which is attested to by hundreds of persons, among them many Wichitans, according to Charles Payne, 308 South Sycamore street.

In 1885 Dr. M.S. Rochelle, who learned of the secret in Ohio in Civil war days, founded the Wichita Medical Co., which later became the Rochelle Cancer Sanitarium. His son, Dr. Homer L. Rochelle, and his wife, Dr. Mae Rochelle, both of them licensed physicians, later opened a sanitarium in Kansas City, Kan., where Mrs. M.S. Rochelle practiced under the tutelage of her son after her husband’s death from paralysis in 1908. After her son’s death a decade ago Mrs. Rochelle returned to Wichita where she professed to cure light cases of cancer.

Now that the sanitarium has resumed treatment of cases, Mrs. Chambers and Dr. Volmer plan to do business on a wider scale by increasing the facilities on the institution. A new building, to replace the South Oak street sanitarium, may be built in a year, it was indicated.

Dr. Volmer came here recently from Oklahoma City, where a practice a year, before which he was at Mound Valley, Kan., for ten years. He is a licensed physician, a graduate of the medical college.

Source: Wichita Daily Eagle, June 11, 1922.

Husband of Caledonia Native Taken in Death

Word has been received here of the death in Cambridge, Mass., of Prof. Walter Rollo Brown, 76, husband of a former Caledonia woman. A native of Ohio, he was a lecturer, author and college teacher. His death occurred in his home and funeral services were conducted Monday at the Congregational Church in Cambridge. Mrs. Brown was before her marriage Miss Ella Brocklesby.

Born March 15, 1880, near Crooksville, Prof. Brown was a son of Alexander and Roselba Search Brown. After graduation from Ohio Northwestern University he taught at Wabash College in Indiana, Carleton College in Minnesota and Harvard University at Cambridge. His marriage was Sept. 6, 1905. Among the many books he wrote are “Dean Briggs,” Creative Spirt [sic], “The Hillikin” and “The Hills Are Strong.”

Surviving with his widow are nieces and nephews including Rev. Burl Brown of Grafton, O. Two brothers preceded him in death.

Source: The Marion Star, October 16, 1956.

Noted Lecturer Visits In City

Rollo Walter Brown, one of Perry county’s distinguished native sons, was in this city yesterday and visited via phone with Tom Berkshire, a member of the Times-Recorder staff. The noted writer and lecture was on his way to New Concord, to spend Monday and Tuesday at Muskingum college presenting a series of lectures and meeting with any of the students interested in creative writing.

Brown has had, in the words of one educations, a “disturbingly vivid careers.” Born on a hillside farm near Crooksville he worked in mines and potteries and had visions of becoming an inventor, but at 17 he discovered Victor Hugo, Defoe and Byron and the spirit of invention surrendered another recruit to the spirit of literature.

After completing his high school education, Brown found employment in Zanesville and then went on to college, receiving and AB from Ohio Northern and his MA at Harvard. After years of successful teaching at Wabash, Carleton and Harvard he turned exclusively to writing.

His literary reputation was made with his biography of Dean Briggs of Harvard. For years he has spent six months of each year at the McDowell Colony at Peterborough, N.H., where most of his writing is done. There he has been in contact with many of the great literary figures of the time and his “Next Door to a Poet,” a memoir of Edwin Arlington Robinson his friend and neighbor, added much to the general knowledge of this strange shy genius. Other books include four novels laid in the Perry county locale, and special studies such as “Lonely Americans, ” “I Travel by Train,” and his latest book “Harvard Yard in the Golden Age.” The last is a collection of short biographies of Charles Eliot, William James, James Royce, George Santayana and other notable men associated with the University. He is also a contributor to the Atlantic Monthly.

The time not spent in writing is devoted to lecture tours such as the one that brings him to Muskingum. He has traveled over the whole of the United States, lecturing before college audiences and holding conferences for students interested in creative writing. At his first appearance at Muskingum, Berkshire’s coverage of his lecture so impressed Brown that he contacted the local man, with the result that a firm friendship has been established and Berkshire is the proud possessor of several autographed first editions of Brown’s books.

The lectures at Muskingum are open to the public as part of the college lyceum program.

Source: Zanesville Times-Recorder, October 30, 1951.

Woman Who Lived Here in 1872 Is Dead

Those who lived in this city back in 1872 will read the following story from the Wichita Eagle with much interest:

Mrs. Margaret Jane Rochelle, 80 years old, widow of Dr. M.S. Rochelle, pioneer physician of Wichita who discovered a remedy for cancer which his wife used to care for patients during his illness and following his death 14 years ago—and which has remained a family secret—died at 8:45 o’clock Wednesday morning at her residence, 302 S. Oak street.

The remedy is “simply a treatment for the removal of cancer,” it was explained by a granddaughter of Mrs. Rochelle, who announced that the survivors have not decided to reveal it to the medical world. The remedy, it was said, has proven remarkably efficacious.

During his lifetime Mrs. Rochelle was an associate in the profession of her husband who was a cancer specialist. She had a thorough understanding of the treatment which Dr. Rochelle had discovered and was able to carry on his life’s work after his death.

“She has helped many Wichita people. It would be a great loss to the community and world if the remedial secret is lost” Charles Payne 308 South Sycamore street commented.

Dr. Rochelle and Mrs. Rochelle homesteaded ten miles west of town in 1872. They came from Independence Kans. Where they located two years earlier moving from Ohio. Their residence had been in Wichita for a number of years.

Mrs. Rochelle was a member of Trinity Methodist church and the Women’s Relief Corps. Surviving are her two son Charles Rochelle of 203 North Millwood avenue and Ralph Rochelle Kansas City two grandchildren and a great grand child.

Funeral services will be conducted next week it was announced at the Wichita Undertaking Parlors.

Source: Independence Daily Reporter, April 7, 1922.