Well Known for Over Half a Century to the People of Lenawee and Fulton Counties
MORENCI, Mich., April 25.—About 8 o’clock last evening the sad and, to the general public, surprising news, was received here announcing the death of Cosper Rorick, president of the First National Bank of this village, at the home of his sister Mrs. Dr. Rorick Bennett in Detroit. Mr. Rorick had been in a state of reduced strength for some time from diabetes, although he was about as usual and at the bank daily. He had also suffered greatly from hemorrhoids and had hitherto been relieved of that difficulty by operations. Believing he could again find relief it was for this purpose that with his wife he had gone to Detroit, and underwent an operation Thursday. He failed to rally and when it appeared that he could not live his children were summoned to his bedside; also his sister Mrs. S.K. Porter of this place, all of whom were with him when he passed away.
The Blade is the recipient of a five-pound sack of choice Texas rice with the compliments of the Tyrrell Milling Co., of Beaumont, Texas. Capt. Tyrrell is the father of Mrs. David Rorick and a frequent visitor to Oceanside, and the rice was a sample of the product of a ranch of three thousand acres which he owns and which is planted to rice. The crop this season was twenty-five thousand barrels and it wasn’t much of a year for rice either.
E.L. Walling and family have changed their place of abode from the Scott cottage on H Street to one of the dwellings of Miss Emma Robinson located on G street. Mr. Walling moved to his new place of residence today.
LEWISTON, Idaho, Sept. 28.—State Land Selector Chancey Wallace has just returned from the Coeur d’Alene reservation were he has been appraising and listing for sale or lease school sections belonging to the state. The state owns 20 sections of land in the reserve, which was thrown open for settlement this summer.
Mr. Wallace says that the Indians selected the best agricultural lands on the reserve. The school land has been appraise for $10 an acre, and several applications for purchase have been made. But two of the school sections are chiefly valuable for timber.
Source:Spokane Spokesman Review, September 26, 1909.
While filling a gasoline lamp in the Maccabee hall at Lincoln yesterday morning Lorin Walling of that town was seriously burned about the hands and a fire in the building was narrowly averted. He was filling the lamp without taking it from the wall, and quantity of the gasoline was spilled on the floor, which immediately ignited, spreading a mass of flame on the floor and in the lamp.
Lorin rushed to the door and threw the flaming can of gasoline into the street, and, returning, carried out the lamp. The fire in the building was easily extinguished, but the act caused Mr. Walling to burn his hands and arms severely, and he will be unable to use them for some time. There was a fire in the stove at the time, and the temperature of the room was high, which was probably the cause of the gas igniting.