Short News Items from 1905

Miss Lillie Doty, of Talmadge Hill spent Saturday and Sunday with her aunt, Mrs. R.T. Shipman. (Van Ettenville Valley Breeze, May 11, 1905)

W.R. Rorick, of Sadler, Huddleston & Co., East Buffalo, N.Y., was also with us yesterday and met many old friends and associates. (Detroit Free Press, May 12, 1905)

Charley Armstrong is the champion wolf killer of this region. A few days ago he brought in seven of them. (Algona Advance, June 22, 1905)


Short News Items from 1904

Charley Armstrong is up from Irvington today with the carcass of a large wolf which he trapped and secured. (Algona Advance, January 14, 1904)

Homer Drumm, who have [sic] been sick with lagrippe, is able to be out again. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, February 4, 1904)

Tracy Walling came up from Portland last night to attend the funeral of his brother, Fred Walling, at Zena this afternoon. (Salem Capital Journal, February 24, 1904)

Continue reading “Short News Items from 1904”

Short News Items from 1903

Albert Holbein, of Perry street, has removed to the Henry Munson place near Ellis station. (Zanesville Times Recorder, February 25, 1903)

Lorin Walling has been sorely afflicted with inflammatory rheumatism. (Polk County Itemizer, July 3, 1903)

Mr. T.R. Kelly, wife and boy have been spending a generous portion of the hot weather in the canyon, literally wallowing in the delights of nature. (Springville Independent, August 6, 1903)

Continue reading “Short News Items from 1903”

Short News Items from 1902

The crack shots of the vicinity contested for honors and an oyster supper in a shooting match, blue rock pigeons being used as targets. Frank Boehringer and Lorin Walling were the captains. Loyd Hunt carried off the honors with a score of five birds out of six shots. The winning side and their partners were feasted to oysters in Lincoln warehouse. A pleasant evening was spent in games, but the oysters gave out and Mr. Boehringer and Mr. Duncan have not been heard from since. (Polk County Itemizer, January 17, 1902)

D.A. Baxter, principal of the public schools at Meridian, is in the city to attend the county teachers’ meeting. (Idaho Statesman, February 9, 1902)

Continue reading “Short News Items from 1902”

Lawrenceville Badly Scorched

Woman’s Target Practice Accountable for $30,000 Blaze Last Night—Wing Bostwick, Eaton & Son and Spring are the Losers.

At 11:50 last night fire broke out in Spring’s bakery and millinery store in Lawrenceville, caused by a woman throwing a lighted lamp at her husband’s head, and spread rapidly to the brick store of Wing & Bostwick on the corner, and the adjacent flour and feed store of Easton & Son, all of which were consumed with most of the contents, including Bell Telephone exchange.

The loss approximates $30,000. Had there been an adequate water supply, the heavy loss would probably have been in part averted. The buildings were well insured, and Wing & Bostwick had $21,300 on stock and fixtures in the Hoard agency, this boro.

Source: Mansfield Advertiser, December 24, 1902.

Big Fire Last Night

Lawrenceville Badly Scorched and Loss Heavy.

Wing & Bostwick’s Corner and Adjoining Buildings Burned.

There was a big fire at Lawrenceville early this morning. It is impossible as we possible as we go to press to get particulars by telephone as wires are burned.

The fire started in the general store of Wing & Bostwick. This building, which is of brick and stone, was destroyed, also the old Darling block and the general store of N. Eaton & Son.

Continue reading “Big Fire Last Night”

On A Long Journey

Nephew of E.S.B. Sutton with His Bride Left For South Africa Today

Mr. and Mrs. Linton B. Sutton, of Randfontein, South Africa, are the guests of Mr. Sutton’s uncle, E.S.B. Sutton. They are leaving this afternoon on the first stage of their journey to their distant home in the Transvaal.  Mr. Sutton is a noted mining engineer and is developing a gold property in Randfontein for a syndicate of English and American capitalists, among whom are Mark Hanna and Gen. Alger.  Mrs. Sutton was Miss Edith Hanby, of Riddlesburg, Pa., and they were united in marriage just a month ago.  Mr. Sutton returned to the United States to claim his bride and they are now about to go back to Africa to make their home for an indefinite number of years.

Source:  Sault Ste. Marie Evening News, November 7, 1902.

Mountain Lions.

REDDING.—Mrs. A. F. Dobrowsky, the young and pretty wife of a local jeweler, killed two mountain lions on Sunday at Bear mountain, distant twenty miles. The man an4 his wife are ardent sportsmen. They go every Sunday into the woods, but last Sunday she killed her first mountain lion.

She was alone on the mountain side when she was attracted by the baying of her hound. She found he had a large panther up a tree.- As she prepared to shoot at it she saw a second lion looking hungrily at her through the thick foliage. Just then her husband came up, attracted by the noise of the dog. At the count of three the two rifles rang out and the two tawny brutes fell to the earth, mortally wounded.

As they rolled in their death struggles Mrs. Dobrowsky saw a third mountain lion higher up in the tree than its fellows had been. She killed it with one ball. The smallest lion measured five feet.

Source: Santa Cruz Morning Sentinel, July 23, 1902.

Short News Items from 1901

W.C. Tyrrell, who has become very much interested in oil, left this morning for his home at Belmont, Ia. He will return soon to look after his interests here. (Beaumont Daily Enterprise, February 7, 1901)

Mrs. Isola M. Rorick of Los Angeles spent yesterday here enjoying the celebration. (Santa Monica Evening Outlook, February 23, 1901)

Miss Maud McCloe gave a dinner Thursday evening for a few friends. (Detroit Free Press, March 17, 1901)

Continue reading “Short News Items from 1901”

Short News Items from 1900

Another grand wolf hunt came off last Saturday. One wolf was cited but the hunters failed to serve their subpoenas on him. Wat Rorick has it in for some near-sighted nimrod who shot him in the lip. (Caldwell News, January 25, 1900)

If this spring-like weather continues Wat Rorick will soon be wending his way to the river with his fishing tackle. (Caldwell Advance, January 25, 1900)

W.M. Toner and family went out to Salem Thursday to visit with relatives. We wish them a pleasant visit. (Lincoln County Leader, March 2, 1900)

Continue reading “Short News Items from 1900”