Dr. Rorick Bennett, who died in California May 9, in her 89th year, will be remembered by many older residents of Lenawee county. She was a sister of the late Cosper Rorick, a prominent citizen of Seneca and later of Morenci, one of whose sons, George H., is president of the First State Bank in that village, and another, Horton C., holds the same office in the Spitzer-Rorick Bank of Toledo. A sister, Mrs. Deborah Speer [sic], recently died at an advanced age at the home of her son, E.E. Speer [sic], and another, Mrs. Melissa Porter, has shared her home and still lives in South Pasadena, Cal.
Dr. Bennett was married to Dr. Charles T. Bennett, then a practicing physician in Morenci, in 1869. Later she went to Ann Arbor, entering the University medical school with the first class admitting women, afterward studying at what is now the medical school of the University of Chicago. She returned to her home town to begin medical practice but in 1890 the Doctors Bennett with their two daughters removed to Detroit, where she became one of the first women surgeons of that city, being for many years connected with both the Women’s and Grace hospitals. Her husband became a member of the operating staff of the Battle Creek Sanitarium, continuing in that relation until his death. During her life in Detroit Dr. Bennett was greatly interested in the Y.W.C.A., and served over a long period as its vice president.
After retiring from practice she went in 1920 with her daughter, Mrs. George Clarke, and the late Sylvester K. Porter and his wife, to make her home together with them in South Pasadena, Cal., where she had since resided. She also leaves another daughter, whose husband is a member of the staff of the famous Huntington Library and Art Gallery in San Marino, and in whose home she was a guest when she passed away.
Dr. Bennett possessed a personality both vivacious and winning, united with a cultured, trained and keen mentality, which won the quick and lasting confidence of those who sought her professional care, and she manifested a consideration for the comfort and pleasure of others, with a sincerity and loyalty of friendliness that bound her to a large and privileged circle of friends in whose hearts her memory will long be treasured. She was a member of the Baptist church and maintained a simple and intelligent Christian faith whose graces she truly exemplified to the end.
The funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Holland F. Burr in south Pasadena.
Source: Adrian Daily Telegram, May 13, 1932.