Mrs. Burton N. Genung

Kittie, wife of Burton N. Genung, of Erie street, Waverly, died at an early hour Sunday morning at the Packer hospital, where she was taken some two weeks ago, her condition growing steadily worse since she was taken there.

Before her marriage to Mr. Genung, which was on Oct. 19, 1895, she was known as Kittie Wilson. She was born in New York city 35 years ago, but came to this section when about eight years of age, making her home in Waverly with her aunt, Mrs. Wilson.

Continue reading “Mrs. Burton N. Genung”

Alma Rorick Wilson, 29, Teacher In Morenci School, Died Tuesday

MORENCI, Mich., Nov. 23.—Alma Rorick Wilson, aged 29 years, died last night at Grace hospital in Detroit at 10:30 o’clock, after a two weeks’ illness. Mrs. Wilson had [been] teacher of languages in the Morenci high school for the last three years. She received her education in the Glen Eden school at New York City and took post graduate work at the state normal school at Ypsilanti.

She is survived by her son, William Rorick Wilson, her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rorick of Morenci, and a sister Mrs. Frank J. Sweeny of[sic]  Buffalo, N.Y.

The funeral services will be held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rorick, Friday afternoon at 1 o’clock, Central time, the Rev. S.N. Oliver officiating.

Source: Adrian Daily Telegram, November 25, 1925.


The wedding of Miss Jane A. Wilson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank A. Wilson of Seneca Falls, and Dr. Osmer J. Wilkin, son of Dr. and Mrs. Charles O. Wilkin of Jeffersonville, took place at noon Wednesday afternoon at the home of the bride’s sister, Mrs. Pierson Goodwin, in Seneca Falls. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Ralph E. Hiney, pastor of Methodist Episcopal Church. Only members of the immediate families were present.

The bride wore a gown of brown vigaro velvet with matching accessories and carried a sheaf bouquet of rust chrysanthemums. Mrs. Pierson Goodwin as matron of honor wore a gown of green vigaro velvet and carried a bouquet of yellow chrysanthemums. Merle Seidell of Jeffersonville was best man.

Following the ceremony, a reception was held at the Gould Hotel. Dr. and Mrs. Wilkin left on a motor trip to Canada and upon their return will live at 204 Grand Street, Newburg.

Source: Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, November 17, 1933.

W.R. Rorick Dies In Morenci Home

MORENCI, Feb. 1—William R. Rorick, 77 years old, a prominent livestock dealer in southern Michigan and Buffalo, N.Y., died in his home on North street here this afternoon at 1:45 o’clock after a period of failing health.

Born in the old hotel that stood on the site now occupied by the Saulsbury Hotel, he attended the Morenci schools and the Medina Academy. He was the only son of Jacob C. and Mary Sloan Rorick.

After engaging in the livestock business around Morenci for several years he went to Buffalo in 1902 to engage in the livestock commission business. Later he was a partner in the Sadler & Rorick Company for many years.

He returned to Morenci several years ago because of failing health and with his wife, Mrs. Minnie Rorick, has made his home here since.

Mr. Rorick is survived by his widow, one daughter Mrs. Frank J. Sweeney, three grandchildren, Mrs. William F. Munschauer, Mrs. Edward N. Marlette and Ensign William Rorick Wilson who is now with the U.S. Navy Air Corps in the Pacific. Two great grandchildren also survive.

One daughter, Mrs. Alma Rorick Wilson and a son Frank J. preceded him in death as well as four sisters.

The body is at the Ackland Funeral Home.

Source: Adrian Daily Telegram, February 1, 1943

Alma Rorick & Howell Wilson

MORENCI, June 7. – Invitations are being received by Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rorick of Buffalo, N.Y., to the marriage of their daughter, Miss Alma B., to Howell Wilson of this place, Tuesday, June 11. The groom’s sisters, Eva and Virginia, left yesterday morning for Buffalo, to be present at the wedding which will take place at the bride’s home. Mr. and Mrs. Rorick were former residents of this place, and Miss Alma has visited here many times.

Source:  Adrian Daily Telegram, June 7, 1918.

Edythe Search Davies

Crooksville — Mrs. Edythe Search Davies, 53, died Sunday morning at her home here following an illness of a heart ailment. Surviving are her father, Frank Search, of the home; three sisters, Miss Helen Search of the home, Mrs. Charles Henning of Crooksville, and Mrs. Craig Wilson of Corning, and a brother, Kenneth Search of Crooksville. The body is at the residence. Funeral services will be held at 9 o’clock Wednesday morning in the Church of the Atonement, of which Mrs. Davies was a member. Rev. William Stecker will officiate and burial will be in Crooksville cemetery with Cannon and Cannon funeral home of Crooksville in charge.

Source: Zanesville Signal, April 2, 1951.

Death Summons Mrs. Yocom, 57

Mrs. Goldie L. Yocom, 57, of 1022 Sunset avenue, died at 2 o’clock this morning at her home following a lingering illness of complications.

She was born at Pomeroy on Sept. 12, 1890, the daughter of Howard and Ola Chase Wilson, but had made this city her home for the major part of her life.

Mrs. Yocom was a member of the Central Trinity Methodist church, Zanesville Chapter No. 52 OES, Amrou Caldron Beulah Temple of Pythian Sisters and the Timber Run Grange.

She is survived by her husband, Ray; two daughters, Mrs. John Bell, wife of Major John Bell has just returned from Japan and Miss Betty Lou Yocom of the home; two sons, Richard G. of Montgomery avenue and R. Alfred Yocom of Maple avenue; her mother, Mrs. Ola Wilson of Moorehead avenue; four brothers, Roy of Montgomery avenue, Morton H. of Pleasant Valley, Lester of Pomeroy, and Guy Wilson of Rushville; three sisters, Mrs. Roy Brown and Mrs. Habron Holdcroft, both of Moorehead avenue, and Mrs. Dora Slonaker of Pine street; and four grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held at 2 o’clock Wednesday afternoon at the Dean-Swope funeral home with Rev. L.A. Schreiber, pastor of the Central Trinity church, officiating. Burial will be in Memorial Park.

The body will remain at the funeral home.

Source: Zanesville Signal, May 17, 1948.

Elias B. Rorick

Elias B. Rorick was born in Horse Heads, Chemung County, N.Y., December 9, 1831, and came to Michigan with his parents in December, 1836. His father, William Rorick, was born in Deckertown, Sussex County, N.J., March 30, 1805, and was the son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Wilson) Rorick, who were natives of Sussex County. The ancestor of the Rorick family was a German, who settled in Sussex County, N.J., early in the 18th century. The ancestors of the Wilson family were Irish. William Rorick lived in Sussex County until 1826, when he went “West,” and settled in the “Lake Country” near Horse Heads, and lived there until the fall of 1836. In December, that year, he started for Michigan with a team of horses, coming through Canada, and crossed the Detroit River from Windsor on the ice. From Detroit he came to Adrian, and finally settled on Section 18, in Seneca Township, in this county. Here he was successful and continued to purchase land until he owned some 200 acres. He resided on this farm for about 35 years. He was a thrifty, successful businessman, and was held in high esteem by all who came in contact with him.

He became a victim of ill health, and about 1875 removed to the village of Morenci, where he died, January 15, 1898. May 22, 1830, William Rorick married Miss Phoebe Ann Breese, daughter of Elias and Deborah (Bennett) Breese, Horse Heads, N.Y., and they had five children, as follows: Elias B., John C., Jacob M., Estell H., and Lussetta. Mrs. Phoebe (Breese) Rorick was born in Horse Heads, N.Y., October 27, 1811, and died in Seneca, this county, September 1, 1858.

Elias B. Rorick was reared a farmer, and was educated in the primitive country school house, supplemented by a three months’ course in the Medina Academy, J.M. Barrows, principal. At the age of seventeen years he went to Adrian, and for two years was engaged as clerk in the then large and prosperous hardware store of George L. Bidwell. In 1852, he went to Corning, N.Y., and for two years acted as clerk in a dry goods store. In the winter of 1854-5 he went to Cleveland, Ohio, and spent three months in Fulsom’s Commercial School. In the spring of 1855 he went to Green Bay, Wis., where he was engaged for six months in the fish business with a Cleveland, Ohio firm. The next two years he spent at Ontonagon, as manager of the Evergreen Bluff copper mine. He returned home in the spring of 1856, making the trip from Ontonagon to Green Bay with dogs and Indians. In April 1856, he went to Kansas in the height of the “Border Ruffian” troubles and witnessed many thrilling scenes. He soon found employment in the government corps of topographical engineers who were selecting a route for a future railroad to San Francisco. He remained in this service for about six months, and returned home in December. In the year 1857 he went back to agriculture, which he followed for about three years, when he went to Aurora, Illinois, and farmed it for about seven years.

In 1867 he went to Chillicothe, Mo., purchased a small farm, and remained there until 1869, when he returned and went on his father’s farm. In April 1873, he removed to the village of Morenci and went into the employ of J.P. Cawley & Co. in the general mercantile business. That fall he went to work for Rothrock, Cawley & Green, in the hardware business, and has been engaged in that trade ever since. In April, 1876, he purchased a half interest in the store, in company with Henry E. Green. He was for 27 years express agent and six years postmaster in Morenci. In 1896 he was made cashier of the Bank of Morenci. In 1900 a national bank was organized, and Mr. Rorick was elected president, which position he now holds. He has acted as Town Clerk for six years, and has served on the public school board for 25 years.

He is a member of the Congregational Church, and affiliates with the Republican party. August 25, 1857, Elias B. Rorick married Miss Mary A. Corwin, daughter of George E. Corwin, of Batavia, Ill., and they had three children, as follows: Luella, born in Seneca, this county, June 9, 1858, married Pearly [sic] Cawley, of Morenci, was the mother of three children, and died in Fayette, Ohio, November 27, 1899; William B., born in Aurora, Ill., August 12, 1861, resides in Morenci, and is engaged in the hardware business; George C., born same place, November 29, 1863, died July 11, 1889.

Mrs. Mary A. (Corwin) Rorick was born in Watkins Glen, N.Y., March 14, 1835, and died in Morenci, March 23, 1895. September 21, 1899, Mr. Rorick married Miss Amelia Shepherd, of Morenci. She was born in Monroeville, Ohio, March 16, 1850. Her parents were English, and were early settlers in Huron County, Ohio. They afterwards removed to Fulton County, where they resided for many years. Her mother died in Morenci, June 9th, 1898.

Source: Knapp, John I. and R.I. Bonner. 1903. Illustrated History and Biographical Record of Lenawee County, Michigan. Adrian, MI: The Times Printing Company.

Barbara Euman & Ronald Wilson

Mrs. and Mrs. Bernard Euman of New Lexington announce the marriage of their daughter, Barbara, to Ronald Wilson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Craig Wilson of Corning.  The wedding took place at Crooksville March 14 with the Rev. Ralph Tucker officiating.  The bride wore a pink dress with pink hat and other accessories in white.  Mr. and Mrs. Bill Jones of New Lexington uncle and aunt of the bride attended the couple.

Source:  Zanesville Time-Recorder, March 24, 1959.


Eileen Madison & William Wilson

Mrs. W.R. Rorick announces the marriage of her grandson Lt. (j.g.) William Rorick Wilson and Miss Eileen Madison of Jacksonville, Fla., which took place January 4.  Lt. Wilson recently returned from over a year’s duty in the Pacific area.  Lt. and Mrs. Wilson are enjoying his 30 days leave in Morenci and Buffalo after which he will report for duty at San Diego, Calif.

Source: Adrian Daily Telegram, January 12, 1944.