John Rorick, Former Legislator, Farmer and Banker, Dies

Named as Original Member of Road Commission in Lenawee in 1919

Services are Sunday

John P. Rorick, prominent in business, farming and civic affairs during his life-long residence in Lenawee County, the last 31 years of which were spent in Adrian, died Thursday afternoon. He had been in poor health since May when a serious operation was performed upon him in Cleveland. Since then he has been confined to his home at 403 Toledo Street from where he was taken to the Emma L. Bixby hospital Monday afternoon when his condition took a suddenly critical turn. He would have observed his 79th birthday anniversary December 31.

Mr. Rorick was born on a farm in Seneca township, the son of the late Mark C. and Mary Rorick. He attended school (rural) there and later the Fayette Normal School at Fayette, Ohio. When he was 18 years old he began working in a private bank in Morenci. He was engaged in the banking business for the next ten years, being one of the organizers and cashier of the First National Bank of Morenci, the first national bank to be chartered in Lenawee County. He married Miss Bertha Green of Morenci Nov. 25, 1897.

He served in the bank until 1909 and then became interested in the organization of telephone companies and the building of exchanges, establishing several of them in towns in Ohio and Indiana. But farming remained an interest also. He moved from Morenci back to his home farm, gradually expanding his land holdings and farming operations in his home township and into Fulton County, Ohio.

During his residence in Morenci, he had served on the village council and also on the school board. In 1919 when the Lenawee County Board of Road Commissioners was established he was elected one of the three original commissioners. His road commission work took him to Adrian and he moved his family there in 1922. After six years on the road commission he ran for election to the state legislature from the district that included the Southern half of Lenawee County. During his two terms in the legislature, he served on the roads and bridges committee, the committee on public utilities and the committee on state penal institutions. When the legislature was redistricted Mr. Rorick retired from politics.

Since then his major interest has been supervision of his farm operations. He has been a member of the Adrian lodge of the Elks the last 30 years and a trustee for much of that time.

Mrs. Rorick died in 1941. Surviving Mr. Rorick are four daughters and two sons: Mrs. Harry Lundahl and Mrs. Russell Raymond of Adrian, Mrs. Prosser Watts of Huntington, Ind., Mrs. J. Clayton Scott of Defiance, Ohio, John Rorick, Jr. of Seneca and Alan G. Rorick of Brecksville, Ohio. He also leaves 16 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. A sister, Mrs. Earl N. Baldwin, resides in Howell and St. Petersburg, Florida.

Source:  Lundahl, Helen Rorick.  (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America.  (NB: This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings.)

Advertisements

Mrs. H.W. Lundahl, Civic Worker, Dead

Mrs. Helen Rorick Lundahl, wife of Dr. Harry W. Lundahl of 403 Toledo Street, died Monday at 10:00 a.m. in Bixby Hospital, where she had been a patient ten days. Death was the result of a year’s illness caused by a heart condition.

Born in Morenci Sept. 29, 1899, Mrs. Lundahl was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John P. Rorick. She lived with her parents in Morenci nine years, then on the Rorick farm in Seneca township for 13 years and the remainder of her busy life in Adrian. She was a graduate of Morenci High School, attended the University of Michigan and was a graduate of Easter Michigan University. She taught mathematics one year in Morenci High School, the Rorick school for one year and Adrian Junior High School one year.

Mrs. Lundahl was a member of First Presbyterian Church, a past president of the William C. Stark Auxiliary of the American Legion, a past regent of the Lucy Wolcott Barnum Chapter of the [Daughters of] the American Revolution, and state historian of the D.A.R. She was a former chairman of the Adrian Republican Women’s Club and was active in the work of the Red Cross and Associated Charities. Her club affiliations were the Zeta Tau Alpha, national college sorority, and Kappa Kappa Epsilon Sorority of Adrian and the Book Club. Her hobbies were gardening and genealogy.

Her marriage to Dr. Lundahl was an event of Dec. 1, 1923. He survives with two daughters, Mrs. Donald (Mary) Phillips of Martinsville, Va., and Mrs. Robert (Marjorie) Klinger of Tulsa, Okla.; one son, Jack Lundahl of Sand Lake; three sisters, Mrs. Prosser (Marjorie) Watts of Blissfield, Mrs. Russell (Marie) Raymond of Adrian and Mrs. Clayton (Alice) Scott of Defiance; two brothers, John Rorick of Seneca and Alan Rorick of Brecksville, Ohio. Eleven grandchildren also survive.

Source:  Lundahl, Helen Rorick.  (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America.  (NB:  This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings.  Helen Lundahl died May 31, 1965.)

Obituary and Funeral Notice for Bertha Green Rorick

Bertha Green Rorick
Heart Attack Fatal to Mrs. John Rorick
Was Active in Red Cross, Club and Church Activities

Mrs. Bertha Green Rorick, wife of John P. Rorick, a prominent resident of Adrian and Lenawee County, died suddenly Sunday morning in her home at 403 Toledo Street, the result of a heart attack. She had been in her usual good health, working Saturday all day at her Sand Lake cottage, and Sunday morning had made preparations to attend church services as was her custom. She was dressing for church when stricken.

Mrs. Rorick suffered a heart attack a few years ago after an operation, but apparently had recovered and had resumed her many activities in church and club work. When the appeal for workers in Red Cross work was made Mrs. Rorick with her usual generosity began to spend many hours at headquarters and this winter with Mrs. W.B. McKenzie was made co-chairman of the production committee. She was faithful in her duties and worked unceasingly and apparently untiringly at the headquarters.

Mrs. Rorick was born January 2, 1877, in Chesterfield, Ohio, the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. N.T. Green. She graduated from Morenci High School in 1895 and on November 25, 1897, married John Porter Rorick, who survives with six children, Mrs. Harry W. Lundahl of Adrian, Mrs. Prosser M. Watts of Hamilton, N.Y., Mrs. Russell B. Raymond of Bryan, Ohio, Mrs. J. Clayton Scott of Adrian, John Porter Rorick, Jr. of Seneca and Lt. Alan G. Rorick, U.S.A. now stationed at Camp Forest, Tenn. Ten grandchildren, John Rorick, Mary and Marjorie Lundahl, Thomas McKeever and Prosser McKeever Watts, Kathryn, William and Russell Raymond, Jo Anne Scott and Jeanne Rorick also survive.

The Roricks were residents of Morenci for 30 years with the exception of one spent in Chicago during the World’s Fair in 1892-93 [Noted by Helen Rorick Lundahl “this should probably say the Greens”]. They lived in Adrian for 11 years and then went to the Rorick farm in Seneca for a few years, returning to their Adrian home in August 1936 where they have since lived.

Mrs. Rorick when asked what her hobby was on one occasion replied “my children.” Her chief interest was in her home and family, then her church and then her club work.

She was a member of the Presbyterian Church where she was active in all societies and departments. She served as Superintendent of the intermediate department of the Sunday school for ten years, was an officer in the missionary society and other societies and was interested in the general church programs. She was a member of the state Presbyterian board.

She was a descendant of General Nathaniel Green of Revolutionary fame and joined the Wauseon, Ohio Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1912, transferring to the Lucy Woldcott Barnum Chapter in Adrian. She retired as regent of the Adrian Chapter this spring having served for two years.

She was a member of the Adrian Woman’s Club, serving as its president in 1933-34. She was also a member of the Ada C. Mumford Union of the W.C.T.U.

When her children were attending school she was active in Parent-Teacher circles and a few years ago served on the advisory board of the Salvation Army. After retiring as Regent of the Lucy Wolcott Barnum Chapter of the D.A.R., this spring, instead of relaxing, concentrated her time and energy on Red Cross work and when a large quota was received recently by the Lenawee County branch she mapped out a plan to interest the entire county in its completion. Only last week when the chapter was presented with a cutting machine which will greatly lessen the work at headquarters, she was overjoyed and remarked how much hand labor the gift would save.

The funeral service will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock in the home on Toledo Street, with the Rev. George Prentice officiating. The burial will be in the family lot in Oak Grove Cemetery in Morenci.


The funeral services for Mrs. John P. Rorick, whose sudden death occurred Sunday morning in her home 403 Toledo Street, were largely attended yesterday afternoon, the spacious Rorick home being taxed to accommodate the many friends who came to pay their last respects. The Rev. George D. Prentice, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, officiated. The burial was in the family lot in Oak Grove Cemetery in Morenci and the bearers were the two sons and four sons-in-law of the deceased, John P. Rorick, Jr., Lt. Alan G. Rorick, Dr. Harry W. Lundahl, Prosser Watts, Russell Raymond and J. Clayton Scott.

Relatives and friends attended the service from Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland, Pioneer, Fayette, Portsmouth, Archbold and Bryan, Ohio, Ann Arbor, Morenci, Brooklyn, Jackson, Seneca, Royal Oak, Dearborn, Albion, Lansing, Battle Creek, Howell, Wyandotte, Tecumseh, Marquette, and Hudson, Michigan.

Source:  Lundahl, Helen Rorick.  (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America.  (NB:  This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings).