Bertha Green Rorick
Heart Attack Fatal to Mrs. John Rorick
Was Active in Red Cross, Club and Church Activities
Mrs. Bertha Green Rorick, wife of John P. Rorick, a prominent resident of Adrian and Lenawee County, died suddenly Sunday morning in her home at 403 Toledo Street, the result of a heart attack. She had been in her usual good health, working Saturday all day at her Sand Lake cottage, and Sunday morning had made preparations to attend church services as was her custom. She was dressing for church when stricken.
Mrs. Rorick suffered a heart attack a few years ago after an operation, but apparently had recovered and had resumed her many activities in church and club work. When the appeal for workers in Red Cross work was made Mrs. Rorick with her usual generosity began to spend many hours at headquarters and this winter with Mrs. W.B. McKenzie was made co-chairman of the production committee. She was faithful in her duties and worked unceasingly and apparently untiringly at the headquarters.
Mrs. Rorick was born January 2, 1877, in Chesterfield, Ohio, the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. N.T. Green. She graduated from Morenci High School in 1895 and on November 25, 1897, married John Porter Rorick, who survives with six children, Mrs. Harry W. Lundahl of Adrian, Mrs. Prosser M. Watts of Hamilton, N.Y., Mrs. Russell B. Raymond of Bryan, Ohio, Mrs. J. Clayton Scott of Adrian, John Porter Rorick, Jr. of Seneca and Lt. Alan G. Rorick, U.S.A. now stationed at Camp Forest, Tenn. Ten grandchildren, John Rorick, Mary and Marjorie Lundahl, Thomas McKeever and Prosser McKeever Watts, Kathryn, William and Russell Raymond, Jo Anne Scott and Jeanne Rorick also survive.
The Roricks were residents of Morenci for 30 years with the exception of one spent in Chicago during the World’s Fair in 1892-93 [Noted by Helen Rorick Lundahl “this should probably say the Greens”]. They lived in Adrian for 11 years and then went to the Rorick farm in Seneca for a few years, returning to their Adrian home in August 1936 where they have since lived.
Mrs. Rorick when asked what her hobby was on one occasion replied “my children.” Her chief interest was in her home and family, then her church and then her club work.
She was a member of the Presbyterian Church where she was active in all societies and departments. She served as Superintendent of the intermediate department of the Sunday school for ten years, was an officer in the missionary society and other societies and was interested in the general church programs. She was a member of the state Presbyterian board.
She was a descendant of General Nathaniel Green of Revolutionary fame and joined the Wauseon, Ohio Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1912, transferring to the Lucy Woldcott Barnum Chapter in Adrian. She retired as regent of the Adrian Chapter this spring having served for two years.
She was a member of the Adrian Woman’s Club, serving as its president in 1933-34. She was also a member of the Ada C. Mumford Union of the W.C.T.U.
When her children were attending school she was active in Parent-Teacher circles and a few years ago served on the advisory board of the Salvation Army. After retiring as Regent of the Lucy Wolcott Barnum Chapter of the D.A.R., this spring, instead of relaxing, concentrated her time and energy on Red Cross work and when a large quota was received recently by the Lenawee County branch she mapped out a plan to interest the entire county in its completion. Only last week when the chapter was presented with a cutting machine which will greatly lessen the work at headquarters, she was overjoyed and remarked how much hand labor the gift would save.
The funeral service will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock in the home on Toledo Street, with the Rev. George Prentice officiating. The burial will be in the family lot in Oak Grove Cemetery in Morenci.
The funeral services for Mrs. John P. Rorick, whose sudden death occurred Sunday morning in her home 403 Toledo Street, were largely attended yesterday afternoon, the spacious Rorick home being taxed to accommodate the many friends who came to pay their last respects. The Rev. George D. Prentice, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, officiated. The burial was in the family lot in Oak Grove Cemetery in Morenci and the bearers were the two sons and four sons-in-law of the deceased, John P. Rorick, Jr., Lt. Alan G. Rorick, Dr. Harry W. Lundahl, Prosser Watts, Russell Raymond and J. Clayton Scott.
Relatives and friends attended the service from Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland, Pioneer, Fayette, Portsmouth, Archbold and Bryan, Ohio, Ann Arbor, Morenci, Brooklyn, Jackson, Seneca, Royal Oak, Dearborn, Albion, Lansing, Battle Creek, Howell, Wyandotte, Tecumseh, Marquette, and Hudson, Michigan.
Source: Lundahl, Helen Rorick. (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America. (NB: This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings).