Lake Orion Young Man to Marry Pontiac Girl

Miss Betty Raymond, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Raymond, of Pontiac, and Gale Skinner, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Skinner, of Lake Orion, will be united in marriage Saturday evening, September 5th, at 9:30 o’clock, at the First Christian church in Pontiac, of which they are both members.

The bride will wear a form fitting floor-length white satin gown, with a short veil held in place by orange blossoms. Her bouquet will be of garden flowers. Miss Violet Kinsey and James Kruse, of Lapeer, will be their attendants. Miss Kinsey’s dress will be of white silk net, trimmed with tiny pink rosebuds, and her corsage will be of sweetpeas.

Immediately following the ceremony a reception for sixty guests will take place at the home of the bride’s parents, on Huron street, Pontiac.

Mr. Skinner lived here for seven years and attended the Lake Orion High School. He is now employed as a meat cutter in a Pontiac store. The bride is a sister-in-law of Clarence Ceiling who managed the local Kroger store about seven years ago. Incidentally, the two attendants, Mr. Kruse and Miss Kinsey, expect to be married in November.

Source: Lake Orion Review, September 4, 1936.

Mrs. H.W. Lundahl, Civic Worker, Dead

Mrs. Helen Rorick Lundahl, wife of Dr. Harry W. Lundahl of 403 Toledo Street, died Monday at 10:00 a.m. in Bixby Hospital, where she had been a patient ten days. Death was the result of a year’s illness caused by a heart condition.

Born in Morenci Sept. 29, 1899, Mrs. Lundahl was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John P. Rorick. She lived with her parents in Morenci nine years, then on the Rorick farm in Seneca township for 13 years and the remainder of her busy life in Adrian. She was a graduate of Morenci High School, attended the University of Michigan and was a graduate of Easter Michigan University. She taught mathematics one year in Morenci High School, the Rorick school for one year and Adrian Junior High School one year.

Mrs. Lundahl was a member of First Presbyterian Church, a past president of the William C. Stark Auxiliary of the American Legion, a past regent of the Lucy Wolcott Barnum Chapter of the [Daughters of] the American Revolution, and state historian of the D.A.R. She was a former chairman of the Adrian Republican Women’s Club and was active in the work of the Red Cross and Associated Charities. Her club affiliations were the Zeta Tau Alpha, national college sorority, and Kappa Kappa Epsilon Sorority of Adrian and the Book Club. Her hobbies were gardening and genealogy.

Her marriage to Dr. Lundahl was an event of Dec. 1, 1923. He survives with two daughters, Mrs. Donald (Mary) Phillips of Martinsville, Va., and Mrs. Robert (Marjorie) Klinger of Tulsa, Okla.; one son, Jack Lundahl of Sand Lake; three sisters, Mrs. Prosser (Marjorie) Watts of Blissfield, Mrs. Russell (Marie) Raymond of Adrian and Mrs. Clayton (Alice) Scott of Defiance; two brothers, John Rorick of Seneca and Alan Rorick of Brecksville, Ohio. Eleven grandchildren also survive.

Source:  Lundahl, Helen Rorick.  (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America.  (NB:  This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings.  Helen Lundahl died May 31, 1965.)

Obituary and Funeral Notice for Bertha Green Rorick

Bertha Green Rorick
Heart Attack Fatal to Mrs. John Rorick
Was Active in Red Cross, Club and Church Activities

Mrs. Bertha Green Rorick, wife of John P. Rorick, a prominent resident of Adrian and Lenawee County, died suddenly Sunday morning in her home at 403 Toledo Street, the result of a heart attack. She had been in her usual good health, working Saturday all day at her Sand Lake cottage, and Sunday morning had made preparations to attend church services as was her custom. She was dressing for church when stricken.

Mrs. Rorick suffered a heart attack a few years ago after an operation, but apparently had recovered and had resumed her many activities in church and club work. When the appeal for workers in Red Cross work was made Mrs. Rorick with her usual generosity began to spend many hours at headquarters and this winter with Mrs. W.B. McKenzie was made co-chairman of the production committee. She was faithful in her duties and worked unceasingly and apparently untiringly at the headquarters.

Mrs. Rorick was born January 2, 1877, in Chesterfield, Ohio, the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. N.T. Green. She graduated from Morenci High School in 1895 and on November 25, 1897, married John Porter Rorick, who survives with six children, Mrs. Harry W. Lundahl of Adrian, Mrs. Prosser M. Watts of Hamilton, N.Y., Mrs. Russell B. Raymond of Bryan, Ohio, Mrs. J. Clayton Scott of Adrian, John Porter Rorick, Jr. of Seneca and Lt. Alan G. Rorick, U.S.A. now stationed at Camp Forest, Tenn. Ten grandchildren, John Rorick, Mary and Marjorie Lundahl, Thomas McKeever and Prosser McKeever Watts, Kathryn, William and Russell Raymond, Jo Anne Scott and Jeanne Rorick also survive.

The Roricks were residents of Morenci for 30 years with the exception of one spent in Chicago during the World’s Fair in 1892-93 [Noted by Helen Rorick Lundahl “this should probably say the Greens”]. They lived in Adrian for 11 years and then went to the Rorick farm in Seneca for a few years, returning to their Adrian home in August 1936 where they have since lived.

Mrs. Rorick when asked what her hobby was on one occasion replied “my children.” Her chief interest was in her home and family, then her church and then her club work.

She was a member of the Presbyterian Church where she was active in all societies and departments. She served as Superintendent of the intermediate department of the Sunday school for ten years, was an officer in the missionary society and other societies and was interested in the general church programs. She was a member of the state Presbyterian board.

She was a descendant of General Nathaniel Green of Revolutionary fame and joined the Wauseon, Ohio Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1912, transferring to the Lucy Woldcott Barnum Chapter in Adrian. She retired as regent of the Adrian Chapter this spring having served for two years.

She was a member of the Adrian Woman’s Club, serving as its president in 1933-34. She was also a member of the Ada C. Mumford Union of the W.C.T.U.

When her children were attending school she was active in Parent-Teacher circles and a few years ago served on the advisory board of the Salvation Army. After retiring as Regent of the Lucy Wolcott Barnum Chapter of the D.A.R., this spring, instead of relaxing, concentrated her time and energy on Red Cross work and when a large quota was received recently by the Lenawee County branch she mapped out a plan to interest the entire county in its completion. Only last week when the chapter was presented with a cutting machine which will greatly lessen the work at headquarters, she was overjoyed and remarked how much hand labor the gift would save.

The funeral service will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock in the home on Toledo Street, with the Rev. George Prentice officiating. The burial will be in the family lot in Oak Grove Cemetery in Morenci.


The funeral services for Mrs. John P. Rorick, whose sudden death occurred Sunday morning in her home 403 Toledo Street, were largely attended yesterday afternoon, the spacious Rorick home being taxed to accommodate the many friends who came to pay their last respects. The Rev. George D. Prentice, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, officiated. The burial was in the family lot in Oak Grove Cemetery in Morenci and the bearers were the two sons and four sons-in-law of the deceased, John P. Rorick, Jr., Lt. Alan G. Rorick, Dr. Harry W. Lundahl, Prosser Watts, Russell Raymond and J. Clayton Scott.

Relatives and friends attended the service from Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland, Pioneer, Fayette, Portsmouth, Archbold and Bryan, Ohio, Ann Arbor, Morenci, Brooklyn, Jackson, Seneca, Royal Oak, Dearborn, Albion, Lansing, Battle Creek, Howell, Wyandotte, Tecumseh, Marquette, and Hudson, Michigan.

Source:  Lundahl, Helen Rorick.  (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America.  (NB:  This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings).

Brief News Items about the Roricks in Michigan

Lieut. and Mrs. Alan G. Rorick arrived last evening from Hot Springs, Ark., to spend the next ten days with his father John P. Rorick and other relatives in the city. Lieut. and Mrs. Rorick were met in Toledo last evening by his sisters Mrs. H.W. Lundahl, Mrs. J. Clayton Scott and Mrs. Russell Raymond of Bryan, Ohio. (Adrian Daily Telegram, December 15, 1942)

Lt. Alan G. Rorick has been released from the government hospital at Hot Springs, Ark., where he has been a patient for nearly two years after an illness of infantile paralysis. He is being sent to the United States Military Academy at West Point as an instructor in mathematics. He and Mrs. Rorick are spending a few days with his father John P. Rorick and after a visit with her parents in Cleveland they will go to West Point where he reports for duty June 20. (Adrian Daily Telegram, June 2, 1943)

FORTY YEARS AGO (1909): The play, Queens and a Kingdom, given at the M.E. church last Friday evening by the Epworth League under the direction of Mrs. Leonard Schnorr, was a great success. The characters in the play were represented by twenty-eight girls, each in costume. Miss Claribel Rorick, of Detroit, a little girl of about ten years, gave several numbers and was encored again and again, bringing down the house with her selections. (Lake Orion Review, October 7, 1949)

The family of Mrs. C.H. Rorick celebrated her birthday anniversary Sunday with a dinner at the cottage of Mrs. G.H. Rorick at Wamplers Lake. Other members present included Mrs. A.N. Brewer of Ann Arbor, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Ranger, C.H. Rorick, Jr. and Mrs. Margaret Hixson. (Adrian Daily Telegram, August 16, 1943)

C.M. Rorick left Saturday for California where he will spend several weeks visiting his sons George Rorick and Mr. and Mrs. Max Rorick and family in Pasadena. (Adrian Daily Telegram, April 3, 1943)

Seneca — Relatives here received word that Curtis Rorick suffered a severe heart attack at Curtis, MIch. Mr. and Mrs. Rorick had been spending a vacation at their cottage near Curtis. (Adrian Daily Telegram, October 19, 1943)

Adrian, May 15. – Josie Boyant [sic] attempted suicide at the home of G.H. Rorick, in Seneca. She accompanied Mrs. Rorick to a social Saturday evening and seemed in good spirits. They returned home about 10 o’clock and soon after Mrs. Rorick heard her in the kitchen, groaning as if in pain. Hastening to her she found her vomiting, and seemingly in agony. She hurriedly summoned a physician, and it was soon discovered that the girl had taken paris green. Antidotes were administered. The girl was in spasms and great pain all day Sunday. She was very low at last accounts and may not recover. The deed was prompted by disappointment in not having a deep affection for a young man living in the neighborhood returned. (Marshall Statesman, May 18, 1894)

Mrs. Leeila G. Rorick and Mrs. Leone Scott of Lansing will come Friday evening to spend the weekend with Mrs. C.M. Rorick and Mrs. L.A. Kennedy. (Adrian Daily Telegram, January 9, 1942)

Mrs. Leslie G. Rorick has received word from her son Wyman in the U.S. Navy that he is safe in Honolulu. Mrs. Rorick last heard from her son December 6. (Adrian Daily Telegram, January 9, 1942)

Miss Lulu Rorick returned from Buffalo Friday accompanied by her sister, Mrs. Mel McCloe, of Detroit. (Adrian Daily Telegram, December 17, 1903)

M.C. Rorick and H.P. Rorick were in Union City, Ind., the first of the week on business. (Adrian Daily Telegram, December 10, 1901)

Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Rorick, formerly of Plainwell, are staying in Morenci with his mother, Mrs. Curtis Rorick, until their new home in Lansing is completed. (Adrian Daily Telegram, March 4, 1960)

Ensign William R. Wilson who has finished the aeronautical course at Jacksonville, Fla., has been transferred to San Francisco.  He is the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rorick of this city.  (Adrian Daily Telegram, October 21, 1942)