The reunion of the Rorick family was held Wednesday at the home of Mr. and Mrs. M.C. Rorick in Morenci. These gatherings have now been held annually for about forty-three years. One hundred and three relatives and friends enjoyed the visiting gand [sic] dinner incident to this event. At a short business meeting, Dr. E.H. Rorick was elected president for the coming year. Mrs. Amelia Rorick, who has served as secretary for the past 15 years, declined re-election and Mrs. G.H. Crane was chosen as her successor. Mrs. G.H. Rorick was appointed chairman of the committee on arrangements. Continue reading “Rorick”
MORENCI, Mich., June 25.—The Rorick reunion was held Wednesday at the home of E.E. Spear, Medina. There were about one hundred people present, and dinner was served under a tent on the lawn. At the business meeting, presided over by M.C. Rorick, the following officers were elected for the ensuing year.
President, Dr. E.H. Rorick, Fayette.
Secretary and treasurer, Mrs. Amelia Rorick, Morenci.
Chairman of executive committee—Mrs. Earl Baldwin, Fayette.
Cosper M. Rorick and wife invited the members to meet at their home next year. The invitation was accepted. Continue reading “Rorick Reunion”
Mary S. Porter, wife of the late Mark C. Rorick, was born in Seneca township, Michigan, April 17, 1850. She was the daughter of John C. Porter and Louisa King Porter, pioneers of Lenawee county. She was one of four children: Frank, who died when aged four years; Sylvester K. Porter of South Pasadena, Cal., and Harriet Rorick, of Morenci, Mich.
She received her education at the Medina Academy was married in Medina to Mark C. Rorick August 9, 1868. They began housekeeping in a log house on the Rorick farm in Seneca township where they remained until their removal to Morenci April 1, 1925.
WEEPING WATER—Services for W.V. Edmison, 74, native Nebraskan and retired brick mason, will be held here at 2 p.m. Saturday.
Mr. Edmison, for several years a resident of Lincoln, died Tuesday at the home of his son, G.H. Edmison, in Cambridge, Iowa.
Burial will be at College View Cemetery.
Surviving besides his son, G.H., are a son, Dr. M.T. Edmison of Fayetteville, Ark.; five daughters, Mrs. Lela McCoy of Pineville, Ore., Mrs. Elsie Edmonds of Nehawka, Mrs. Ina Murphy of Thorpe, Wis., Mrs. Inez Hessner of San Bernardino, Calif., and Mrs. Jane Drieman of Elmore, Minn.; 25 grandchildren; and 17 great grandchildren.
Source: Lincoln Star-Journal, June 26, 1953.
Retired Banker Here
William David Murphy, 71, of 2650 Martin Road, prominent retired Zanesville banker and civic leader, died at 9:43 a.m. Friday in Bethesda Hospital where he had been a patient since July 10.
Mr. Murphy was born Nov. 7, 1900, in Fayette, Ohio, a son of Dr. William and Nellie Murphy.
His family moved to Columbus when he was a boy and he attended schools there, graduating from Ohio State University in 1923. He studied law at Franklin University and passed the bar in 1928. While in school he helped himself financially by selling clothing, and as a messenger for Citizens Bank and Trust Company in Columbus. He remained with the bank when it merged with the Ohio National Bank.
When Ohio National started its branch program in the late 1920s, he served in various executive capacities and in 1929 the Banc-Ohio Corp. was formed and began buying banks in various cities. In 1930, when Citizens National was organized by the merger of four Zanesville banks, Murphy was assigned to Zanesville to supervise its promotion program. He was elected cashier and a member of the Citizens board of directors in May 1931, vice president and cashier in 1945, and president in January 1947, succeeding Henry J. Knoedler. Her retired Dec. 31, 1965, at the age of 65.
He had been an associate trustee of Bethesda Hospital; trustee, treasurer, and past president of the Muskingum Motor Club; and a trustee of the Abbot Home for Men. He was a past campaign chairman of the Community Fund. In 1961 he was appointed chairman of Ohio State University’s Development Fund and in 1966 served as chairman of the Muskingum Area Trade School campaign finance committee.
He was a member and elder of Central Presbyterian Church, a former member of the trustees and past president of the church Brotherhoods; a member of the Rotary Club, Zanesville Country Club, Amity Lodge F&AM, Aladdin Shrine and Zavi Shrine Club.
Surviving are his widow, the former Margaret Foster of the home; a son, William F. Murphy of Route 8; a daughter, Mrs. John (Margaret) McConnell, of Minneapolis, Minn.; seven grandchildren; and a brother, John Murphy of Columbus. A brother, Roy, is deceased.
Friends may call 7 to 9 p.m. today and 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday at Bryan Funeral Home.
Lodge of Amity 5 F&AM will hold services at 7 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.
Source: Zanesville Times Recorder, July 29, 1972.
Funeral services for Dr. William David Murphy, 75, of Columbus, father of William D. Murphy, Jr., of this city, will be held at 2 o’clock Wednesday afternoon in the Masonic temple in Columbus with Dr. Frank H. Throop of the Central Presbyterian church there officiating. Burial will be in Green Lawn Abbey, Columbus.
Dr. Murphy, practicing physician in Columbus for 50 years, died Sunday afternoon at his home following a lingering illness. A native of Locust Grove, O., he was graduated in 1896 from the old Starling Medical college.
Active in Masonic organizations, Dr. Murphy was a member of Masonic Lodge of F&AM Scioto Consistory of the Scottish Rite, Mt. Vernon Commandery of the Knights Templar, Aladdin Temple of the Shrine, and the Royal Order of Jester. He was a past potentate of Aladdin Temple and secretary of the Shrine’s Crippled Children’s association and a member of the National Shrine Crippled Children’s association.
Dr. Murphy was a member of the First United Presbyterian church in Columbus, the Columbus Academy of Medicine, and the American Medical Association.
Surviving are two sons, William D. of 2500 Martin road, who is cashier and vice-president of the Citizens National bank here, and John A. Murphy, operator of the Uptown theater in Columbus.
The body will be at the residence, 1591 Franklin Park south, Columbus, from 4 o’clock this afternoon until 10 o’clock Wednesday morning when it will be taken to the Masonic Temple.
Source: Zanesville Signal, May 13, 1946.
Mrs. John Bell of Dayton will arrive soon to spend one month visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. R.E. Yocum of 1022 Sunset avenue. (Zanesville Signal, December 8, 1945)
Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Drumm of 124 Hamline avenue have received word that their son, Virgil Drumm, technician 5-g, has arrived safely in England. (Zanesville Signal, December 28, 1943)
OFF TO FLORIDA: Mrs. Fuller V. Welsh, Mrs. Wilbur Mendenall, Mrs. Mayme Starch [sic] Flesher and her mother, Mrs. Ashville [sic] Search, and Mrs. Byron Vandenbark will leave this morning for Miami, Fla., where they will spend several weeks. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, February 7, 1931)
Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Hanson of Junction City are spending a few days with friends here. (Zanesville Signal, October 4, 1926)
Robert Christy, 19, Richard Christy, 12, and Mary Frances Christy, 17, all children of Charles Christy, 230 Orchard street, are suffering from scarlet fever, as is Zane Hanson, 9, son of Virgil Hanson, Shawnee. (Zanesville Signal, November 5, 1934)
This Misses Mildred and Bonnie Hartley entertained members of the Standard Bearer Missionary society of the M.E. church at their home on Washington street Wednesday evening with 20 members present. Refreshments were served and a social hour enjoyed. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, April 7, 1939)
Roseville: Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lacy and family have moved into the H.H. Guy property, Terrace, formerly occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Lester Lewis and family. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, December 4, 1928)
Charles Lacy was honored with a party at his home in Roseville on the occasion of his 80th birthday anniversary Jan. 19. Nearly 30 persons were present. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, January 19, 1972)
W.D. Murphy, Jr., of Martin road, and brother, John Murphy of Columbus, are on a hunting trip in Michigan. They were joined there by their cousins, Harry Metcalfe and Kirk Rorick, and their uncle Cosper Rorick. (Zanesville Signal, October 9, 1938)
Mr. and Mrs. Chester Pickerall [sic] and their son Ronald of Chicago, Ill., are spending the holidays with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Clem Reed of Lake Drive, and Mr. and Mrs. William Search of Moxahala avenue. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, December 25, 1925)
Mrs. Augustus Printz who has been seriously ill at her home here [Crooksville] is reported somewhat improved. (Zanesville Times-Recorder, April 2, 1930)
Mark C. Rorick, older son of Cosper and Nancy A. Breese Rorick, was born on a farm in Seneca township, Michigan Dec. 7, 1845 and died Feb. 6, 1922. His brother Leroy W. was born Sept. 14, 1847. He lived with his parents in a log house until the brick house was built in ’68. Cosper Rorick, father of M.C. Rorick, had a small clearing 3-4 mile north of what is now Seneca village, woods being on all sides. Canandaigua was the nearest post office and trading point combined and traveling was accomplished entirely by ox team or by horse back. The nearest church was at Medina, seven miles distant, and this they attended every Sunday morning. It was necessary to make an early start as they drove an ox team and wagon with a board across the wagon box for the little boys.
When about five years of age “Mark” commenced school in the home district 2 1/2 miles way in the Rorick district today. He walked back and forth to school. When the Tufts school house was being built he attended school in a part of the James Lord home, temporarily. Continue reading “Well Known Morenci Resident Passes Away”
Death of Leroy W. Rorick at his Home in Morenci Last Saturday Morning
Leroy W. Rorick, a well known citizen of Morenci, died at his home here last Saturday morning, March 10, 1917, after an illness of several months. The funeral service was held Monday under the direction of the K. of P. Lodge of which he was a member.
Judge B.L. Hart of Adrian and Hon. B.D. Chandler of Hudson, who represented the order, gave words of sympathy and helpfulness to the bereaved family.
Miss Virginia Wilson sang a solo. The out of town relatives who attended the funeral were: Mrs. William Rorick of Buffalo, N.Y., Mrs. Spencer Sloan, Mrs. Della McCloe, H.C. Rorick and wife, A.V. Foster and wife of Toledo, J.C. Rorick of Wauseon, Dr. and Mrs. E.H. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Sullivan, P.F. Cawley and daughter, Helen, Earl Baldwin and wife, John Rorick and Mrs. G.H. Crane of Fayette, Hon. G.B. Horton and John Cole of Weston.
Leroy W. Rorick was born in Seneca township, Sept. 14, 1847. His father, Cosper Rorick, a native of New Jersey, came to Michigan in 1840 and commenced with the pioneers in the work of changing a wilderness to a domain of elegant homes and productive farms. His father was married to Nancy A. Breese, Jan. 15, 1845, and they settled on a farm one mile north of Seneca in a log house with primitive surroundings, where Leroy was born. He grew up on the farm laboring with his father in the fields as boys in those days did and walking two and a half miles to a district school house for his education which was completed at the Medina Academy.
He was married Feb. 10, 1870 to Harriet L. Porter to whom were born one daughter, Nellie R., wife of Dr. Murphy of Columbus, OH and Cosper M., cashier of the First National Bank of Morenci. He commenced the work of an active life on the farm where he resided until 1888, when he moved to Morenci where he lived a retired life for one year, then going to Fayette where he purchased a livery business which he successfully followed for nine years. Disposing of the same, he followed the business of harness making for about six years in Morenci, after he which he purchased a farm two miles west of Weston where he resided about three years. He then purchased a small country home near Seneca where he lived until the spring of 1916 when he built a home and moved to Morenci.
His life has been a full demonstration of industry, kindness and business integrity and his faithful friends are numerous wherever he is known. His departure is mourned by all who knew him. He is survived by one brother, Mark C. Rorick of Morenci.
Source: Lundahl, Helen Rorick. (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America. (NB: This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings.)
Cosper M. Rorick, who is one of the representative business men of the younger generation in the village of Morenci, where he is manager of the W.A. Mace real estate and loan business, is a native son of Lenawee county and a scion of one of the old and honored families of this section of the state. He was born in Seneca township, this county, Dec. 31, 1874, and is a son of Leroy W. and Harriet L. (Porter) Rorick, both of whom were likewise born in Seneca township, where their respective parents located in the early pioneer period. Casper Rorick, paternal grandfather of of the subject of this review, was a native of New Jersey, and he came to Lenawee County, Michigan, as one of the early settlers of Seneca township, where he eventually became the owner of a landed estate of 400 acres, a very considerable portion of which he reclaimed to cultivation prior to this death, which occurred Nov. 27, 1874. His venerable widow, whose maiden name was Nancy A. Breese, now maintains her home in the village of Morenci, where she is held in reverent affection as one of the noble pioneer women of the county. Leroy Rorick was reared to manhood on the old home-stead farm, and after duly availing himself of the advantages of the common schools of Seneca township he continued his studies for some time in Medina Academy. He continued to be actively identified with agricultural pursuits for many years after initiating his independent career, but in the late 80’s he removed from his farm in Fayette, Fulton County, Ohio, which lies contiguous to Lenawee County, Mich., and was there engaged in a livery business for a period of nine years. He then disposed of his various interests in Fayette and took up his residence in the village of Morenci. A few months later he returned to his farm in Seneca township, where he has since lived virtually retired and where is enjoying the reward of former years of toil and endeavor. He is well known and highly esteemed in this country and while he has never been an aspirant for public office he has given a zealous support to the cause of the Democrat party.
He is affiliated with Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias.
Of the two children, the subject of this sketch is the younger, and the older child, Nellie, is now the wife of Dr. William D. Murphy, who is engaged in the practice of his profession in the city of Columbus, Ohio, and who is recognized as a physician and surgeon of marked ability. He was graduated from Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, and after his graduation began the practice of his profession in Fayette, that state, where he remained until the spring of 1908, when he returned to the capital city of the state, where he has secured a representative clientage. He is a Republican in politics and was a member of the board of pension examiners in Fulton County, Ohio, as well as a member of the village council of Fayette.
He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, in which he has attained to the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, and also is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. He and his wife have three children — Leroy, William and John. Dr. and Mrs. Murphy are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Cosper M. Rorick, the immediate subject of this review, secured his preliminary educational training in the public schools of Seneca, and after completing the curriculum of the high school he was for some time a student in the Normal School in Fayette, Ohio. After leaving school he was associated with his father in the livery business in Fayette, and about 1898 he came to Morenci, where he purchased the harness and saddlery business of Leroy S. Brener. He continued the enterprise until 1900, when he sold the business to his father, who later sold it to William Sears. Since retiring from this enterprise the subject of this review has held the responsible position of manager of the real-estate and loan business of W.A. Mace, in which connection the farm lands controlled aggregate fully 800 acres.
In his political allegiance Mr. Rorick is found arrayed as a loyal supporter of the cause of the Democratic party, and he served four years as township treasurer of Seneca township, as township supervisor for one year. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and the Knights of Pythias.
On Nov. 30, 1897, Mr. Rorick was united in marriage with Miss Georgia L. Mace, daughter of George A. and Jennie (Starkweather) Mace, the former of whom died in 1875 and the latter is now a resident of the city of Lansing, Mich., though both were reared and educated in Lenawee County. Mr. and Mrs. Rorick have four children: Amanda, W. Kirk, Leroy Max, and George M.
Source: Bonner, Richard Illenden. 1909. Memoirs of Lenawee County. Volume 2. Madison, WI: Western Historical Association.