The Rorick family reunion was held at the home of Cosper Rorick, sr., on “Rorick Avenue”—East Main street—Morenci. About seventy-five representatives of the family sat down to a bountiful dinner, which, owing to the uncertain weather, was served in the spacious barn, especially prepared and decorated for the occasion. No set program was followed, but the time was spent in conversation and good cheer. Those present from out of town were Hon. and Mrs. E.H. Rorick, of Athens, O., Hon. and Mrs. J.C. Rorick, of Wauseon, and their granddaughter, Misses Ada and Cleantha McConnell, of Adrian; Mrs. Dr. Rorick Bennett, of Detroit, and her daughters, Mrs. Clark and Miss Bessie Bennett. It was decided to hold the next reunion at the home of Mark Rorick. Noticeable among the decorations were beautiful hot house roses from Athens.
Expired at 6 O’Clock Last Night at South Main Street Home.
Resident Here 38 Years
Was One of City’s Leading Merchants Until Retirement a Year Ago; Aged 73 Years.
Willard C. McConnell, aged 73 years, one of Adrian’s best known citizens and until a year ago one of the city’s leading merchants, died at 6 o’clock last evening at his home, 322 South Main street, after a sickness of about two weeks. He had been in poor health for more than a year but had been able to be about until his last sickness which was due to a complication of ailments. Although his condition has been unfavorable for ten days previously it took a decidedly serious turn Sunday after which he failed to rally. Mrs. McConnell and his daughter, Mrs. W.D. McLean, of New York City were at the bedside when death came.
John C. Rorick, who was born near Horseheads, died in Wauseon, Ohio, recently. He was a descendant of the early Breese settlers and until recently came here to attend family reunions. John C. Rorick, who was born near Elmira, February 13, 1834, and moved with his parents to Lenawee County, Mich., in 1836, Here he grew to manhood and endured all the hardships of pioneer life. His education he secured mostly by home study. He taught school for a short time and then completed a commercial course, graduating from the Gregory Commercial College, of Detroit. He is survived by his widow, a foster daughter, Mrs. W.C. McConnell, of Adrian; a brother, Dr. E.H. Rorick, of Fayette.
“He was commander of the Associate G.A.R. organization and a member of Wauseon Lodge, Knights of Pythias.”
Mr. and Mrs. Willard C. McConnell announce the engagement of their daughter, Cleantha Parke, to Wylllis Osborn Dodge of Lansing. (Adrian Daily Telegram, January 7, 1918)
Mrs. William Moore Rorick announces the marriage of her daughter, Mrs. Claribel Rorick McGraw, to Lieut. L.W Mueller, of the ordinance department, in the Central Methodist church, in the presence of the immediate families, Lieut. R.W. Baldwin, of the signal corps, being the only attendant. Lieut. and Mrs. Mueller will reside in Decatur, Ill., where Lieut. Mueller is engaged with the Mueller Manufacturing company. (Detroit Free Press, March 22, 1918)
Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rorick, of East Buffalo, N.Y., arrived today and are located with Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Rowlader at 115 Live Oak avenue. Mr. Rorick is a member of the firm Sadler, Rorick and company, the largest live stock dealers of East Buffalo. Mr. and Mrs. Rorick are making their first visit to Daytona. (Daytona Daily News, January 21, 1916)
W.V. Hutchinson and family are in town. They leave in a few days for Glendale, Ore., where Mr. Hutchison expects to go into the diary business. (Hood River Glacier, April 6, 1916)
Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Strickland left Saturday night for Des Moines, Ia., where they will spend the next two weeks visiting with relatives and friends. (Bemidji Daily Pioneer, April 24, 1916)
T.E. Mackrell, superintendent of the C. & E., division will return Friday morning with the family on Erie train No. 7 from Warwick, N.Y., where his daughter, Miss Helen Mackrell, was buried. (Huntington Herald, January 7, 1915)
George Strickland, assistant cashier of the First National bank, left last evening for Minneapolis where he will spend today on business. (Bemidji Daily Pioneer, January 18, 1915)
Invitations are out today for the wedding of Wallace Donald McLean of Washington and New York and Miss Ada Rorick McConnell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Willard McConnell of this city. The ceremony is to take place on Saturday, Oct. 2, at Christ Episcopal church, at 7 o’clock in the evening. Cards are also sent for a reception, which is to be held at the home of the bride’s parents, 56 S. Main street, immediately after the wedding. (Adrian Daily Telegram, September 17, 1915)
Complimenting Miss Ada McConnell, a bride of Saturday, a pretty fall luncheon was given by Misses Elizabeth and Frances Waldby at their home on State street Wednesday. Covers were laid for six, the other guests being the ladies of Miss McConnell’s bridal party. (Adrian Daily Telegram, September 30, 1915)
Christ church was the scene of a beautiful wedding Saturday evening when Miss Ada Rorick McConnell, elder daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Willard C. McConnell of this city, and Wallace Donald McLean of Washington and New York were united in marriage. The church was artistically decorated in pink and white Japanese lilies and gladioli, huge bouquets of them being used effectively, while the altar was banked with dahlias.
Prof. Fred L. Bach, of Heidelberg university, Tiffin, O., formerly of Adrian college, presided at the organ and played a delightful program during the seating of the guests and as the time for the ceremony drew near the music modulated into the strains of the Lohengrin wedding march and the wedding party entered the church.
Egbert D. Chittenden is very ill with bronchitis and heart trouble at his residence, 42 Apple street. (Muskegon Chronicle, January 11, 1909)
J.J. Walling returned this morning from a two months trip during which he went to the finest parts of California. He reports a very plaeasant [sic] trip but is glad to get back to Nampa valley where there are fewer storms and greater opportunities for getting on in the world than in the famed citrus belt.—Nampa Leader-Herald. (Caldwell Tribune, March 13 1909)