Miss Sara Streit Riker, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Marsh Riker of 83 Lincoln Park, Newark, was married to Andrew Van Blarcom in the South Park Presbyterian Church, Newark, last evening. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Lyman Whitney Allen, pastor of the church. The bride was attended by her sister, Miss Berrian Riker, while Leonard [sic] Van Blarcom, brother of the bridegroom, was best man. The flower girls were Miss Marguerite Riker and Miss Prudence Durand, and the bridesmaids were Miss Elsie Riker of East Orange; Miss Alice Allen of Williamsport, Penn.; Miss Annie Orr of Pittsburg [sic], Penn.; Miss Matilda Dodd, Miss Elizabeth Carter, and Miss Elsie Tripp of Newark. The ushers were Harold Dodge, Franklin Conklin, Jr., and Henry Kays of Newton; Robert Southard, Charles Inslee, and Ralph Inslee of New York. Owing to a recent death in the bride’s family, there was no reception. (New York Times, May 10, 1906)
A member of one of New Jersey’s oldest and most prominent families, Captain Lewis Van Blarcom, of Newton, whose death occurred February 20, 1904, was one of the foremost citizens of this State, an esteemed and valued member of the legal fraternity, and a beloved and respected resident of this community. Captain Van Blarcom exercised an inspiring influence in all affairs of this vicinity, having taken an active part in the various civic organizations and in political matters as a leader of the Republican party in Sussex County, and was known to everyone as a fair and honest party chieftain. His grandfather was Garret Van Blarcom, of Bergen County, who married Mary DeGraw, and to this union were born two sons and two daughters. Garret Van Blarcom was noted for his courage and patriotism, serving with distinction in the War of 1812. He removed to Sussex County in 1820 and engaged in farming, and both he and his wife were active in community affairs and were prominently interested members of the North Hardyston Presbyterian Church. He died in 1834, and Mrs. Van Blarcom died, 1864.
William Van Blarcom, second son of Garret and Mary (DeGraw) Van Blarcom, was born in Bergen County. He devoted his activities to agriculture in Sussex County for many years. His children were: Lewis, of further mention; Garret; Lucy A., married James E. Price; Susan C., married Nelson Ackerson; Andrew J., and Hannah, who married Charles Y. Dolsen. Continue reading “Lewis Van Blarcom”
Newton, N.J., Aug. 14 — The marriage of Miss Kate Van Blarcom, of Newton, N.J., and Mr. Henry T. Kays, also of Newton, took place here on Saturday afternoon at about 4 o’clock in the home of the bride, 39 High street. Miss Van Blarcom is a sister of Prosecutor Lewis Van Blarcom of Sussex county and Andrew Van Blarcom, of Sussex county.
Mr. Kays is Sussex county general counsel and former Assemblyman from Sussex county for 1913, 1914 and 1915. At present he is a candidate for Democratic nomination for State Senator. The wedding ceremony was attended only by a few close relatives. Rev. Charles W. Rouse, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, officiated. The couple left immediately after the wedding for an automobile trip to Pennsylvania and will return Thursday.
Source: Middletown Times Press, August 14, 1918.
As Vice-Chancellor of New Jersey, Henry T. Kays, of Newton, occupies a prominent place in the judiciary of this State.
Vice-Chancellor Kays was born September 29, 1878, in Newton, New Jersey, son of Thomas M. and the late Marielle Ryerson (Anderson) Kays. He received his early education in the Newton public school, and in the English and Classical School in Newton, from which he was graduated in 1899. In that year he entered Princeton University, where he was graduated with the class of 1903 with the degree of Bachelor of ARts. He then taught science at the English and Classical School, after which he studied law in the office of his father. In February 1910, he was admitted to the New Jersey bar. In 1910 and 1911 he was a member of the board of chosen freeholders of Sussex County, and in 1911 and 1912 he served as county counsel. He was again named county counsel in 1917, and held the office continuously thereafter until his appointment to the Court of Chancery.
In 1913, 1914 and 1915 he rendered Statewide service as representative of Sussex County in the New Jersey Assembly. In 1918 he was elected State Senator from Sussex County, and in 1921 was reelected. While a State Senator he was chosen minority leader for the 1921 session. During the First World War he was Federal Food Administrator for Sussex County. In 1924 Governor Silzer appointed him a job of the Court of Errors and Appeals to succeed Judge Ernest J. Heppenheimer, who had resigned from the office. In order to accept this post, he resigned as State Senator on March 8, 1924, being sworn in on that day as a member of the Court of Errors and Appeals.
On his appointment at Vice-Chancellor by Chancellor Luther A. Campbell, Judge Kays resigned as judge of the Court of Errors and Appeals and was sworn in as Vice-Chancellor on June 24, 1935. He was reappointed for a second term in 1942. The Court of Chancery of New Jersey dates back to 1705, after which, until 1844, the Governor or person acting as chief executive was ex-officio Chancellor. Since adoption of the 1844 constitution, chancellors have been appointed by the Governor by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. From the time of Lord Cornbury the first Chancellor of what was then the province of New Jersey, many distinguished men has graced this office. The office of Vice-Chancellor was a natural creation arising out of increased business devolving upon the Chancellor. In 1871, when the office was first established, there was but one Vice-Chancellor. The number has since grown to ten, of whom Vice-Chancellor Kays is one. In his political views he is a Democrat.
Vice-Chancellor Kays is a man of broad interests. He was elected president of the Merchants National Bank, of Newton, and upon its consolidation with the Sussex National Bank, became chairman of the board of directors and afterward president of the new institution, the Sussex & Merchants Bank, of Newton. He is a trustee of the Newton Library Association, the Newton Cemetery Company, the Newton Hospital, and has been interested in many civic improvements to the advantage of Newton.
Vice-Chancellor Kays married Katherine Van Blarcom, daughter of the late Lewis Van Blarcom and the late Mary (Thomson) Van Blarcom.
Source: Myers, William Starr. 1945. Prominent Families of New Jersey. Volume II. New York: Lewis Publishing Company.
Vice Chancellor of State 1935-1948 Served on Bench of Superior Court, 1948-1949.
NEWTON, N.J., July 27 — Henry T. Kays of 97 Main Street, Vice Chancellor of New Jersey from 1935 to 1948 and State Superior Court Judge in 1948-1949, died yesterday in Newton Memorial Hospital after an operation. His age was 79.
Mr. Kays, a lawyer, had been president and chairman of the Sussex and Merchants National Bank of Newton, vice president of the Newton Library Association, president of the New Jersey Herald and a director of the S&M Building and Loan Association. He was president of the Sussex County Bar Association from 1948 to 1954.
A great-grandson of New Jersey Supreme Court Justice Thomas Cox Ryerson, Mr. Kays was born in Newton. He was also a descendant of Daniel Haines, Governor of New Jersey from 1848 to 1851.
Graduating from Princeton in 1903, Mr. Kays read law in his father’s firm and was admitted to the bar in 1910. He served as counsel for Sussex County in 1911-12 and from 1917 to 1935.
Elected as an Assemblyman from Sussex County on the Democratic ticket, Mr. Kays served from 1913 to 1916. He was State Senator from 1919 to 1924 and minority leader in 1921.
Mr. Kays served in the Court of Errors and Appeals of New Jersey from 1924 to 1935. He represented Sussex County at the 1947 Constitutional Convention in New Brunswick and was named to County Welfare Commission in 1943.
He belonged to the Princeton Club of New York, the Sons of the American Revolution and the Sussex County and New Jersey Historical Societies.
Survivors include his widow, the former Katherine Van Blarcom.
Source: New York Times, July 28, 1958.