Miss Luella Belles and James Herriogs [sic], both of Laurel Run ,were quietly married May 27 at the parsonage of the First Primitive Methodist church on the Heights by the Rev. J.H. Buckingham. Since then the wedding was kept quiet until today when the couple announced the marriage to their friends.
Mr. and Mrs. Herriogs [sic] have taken up housekeeping at Laurel Run. Mr. Herriogs [sic] is employed by the Red Ash colliery where his father is outside foreman. The bride is a popular young lady of the Laurel Run district.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Evening News, June 24, 1914. Herriotts is consistently misspelled as Herriogs throughout the original, including the headline.
Miss Marion Herriotts, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Herriotts of 20 Marshall Street, Laurel Run, became the bride of Raymond Kresge, son of Ira Kresge of Bald Mountain, Saturday noon in Laurel Run Primitive Methodist Church. Rev. George T. Bamford officiated.
The bride, escorted by her father, was gowned in blue net fashioned on princess lines. She wore a white picture hat trimmed in blue. Her bouquet was of white roses and lilies-of-the-valley.
Miss Elsie Herriotts, her sister’s bridesmaid, was dressed in pink lace. She carried pink roses.
Mr. Kresge’s brother, Carl Kresge, was best man and the ushers were James Herriotts, Jr., brother of the bride, and Earl Barnes. Miss Marion Carpenter sang and Miss Bessie Herriotts, the bride’s aunt, played wedding music.
Dinner was served to 40 at the home of the bride’s parents. The couple is in Atlantic City and will reside with the bride’s parents.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Record, June 24, 1935.
The marriage of Elsie Herriotts, daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. James Herriotts to Grant Keiper, son of Mrs. Edna Keiper of Fern Ridge, will be held Saturday at noon. The ceremony will be performed at the home of the bride’s parents, 20 Marshall Street, instead of in the P.M. Church, as previously announced, owing to the serious illness of Benjamin Belles, grandfather of the bride. Rev. George T. Bamford will officiate.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Record, August 23, 1935.
A largely attended memorial service including representatives from Veterans of Foreign Wars and its auxiliary, were held yesterday afternoon in Laurel Run Primitive Methodist Church, for Corp. James Herriotts, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. James Herriotts, Laurel Run, who lost his life in the Pacific June 8th. Corp. Herriotts was a radio operator on a U.S. bomber.
A Christian flag was presented to the church by James Hughes on behalf of John Herriotts, brother of the deceased war veteran, and was accepted by William Kingston, president of the board of trustees of the church.
Rev. William A. Schewe, VFW chaplain, preached and said opening and closing prayer and Rev. George T. Bamford read from scripture.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Times Leader Evening News, June 29, 1942.
Benjamin F. Belles, 65, a well known resident of Oliver’s Mills for the last 30 years, died at 1:30 o’clock this afternoon at the family home following four months illness of general debility. He was formerly employed by Dupont Powder Mill.
Surviving are his widow and these children: Mrs. James Herriotts of Laurel Run, Mrs. Almon Barnes of Oliver’s Mills, Mrs. Remmel Blankebush of Caramus [sic], N.J., Charles and Abram of Oliver’s Mills, James of Mountain Top, and George of Endicott, N.Y.; two sisters, Mrs. Curtin [sic] Casterline of Wilkes-Barre, and Mrs. William Hurx of Buck Township; also a brother, William.
Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at the late home. Interment will be in Fern Knoll Burial Park at Dallas.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Times Leader, October 2, 1935.
Miss Bessie Anne Herriotts, 21, died of complications this morning at 7 at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Herriotts, 20 Marshall street, Laurel Run.
A lifelong resident of Laurel Run, Miss Herriots was well known and highly respected in the community. She was a member of the Primitive Methodist church of that borough. She was graduated from Coughlin High school in 1938.
Besides her parents she is survived by a sister, Mrs. Elsie Kieper of Fern Ridge, and a brother John at home. Another brother, Corporal James Herriotts, was killed June 8, 1942, in an airplane crash while serving with the United States army in New Zealand.
The funeral will be held from the home on Wednesday afternoon at 2 with Rev. George Bamford officiating. Interment will be in Fern Knoll burial park, Dallas.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Times Leader, August 17, 1942.
Corp. Herriotts and Sergeant Cohn Victims of Accidents in South Pacific, War Dept. Reports
The war was brought home to parents of two Luzerne County young men, who were reported to have lost their lives in airplane accidents in the South Pacific, according to information received from the War Department.
One of the victims was Corporal James Herriotts, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. James Herriotts, 20 Marshall street, Laurel Run, and the other was Sergeant Harry Cohn, son of Mr. and Mrs. Morris Cohn, Hazleton.
Corporal Herriotts enlisted July 1, 1940, soon after he graduated from Coughlin High School. He joined the Air Corps. He was a radio controlman on a flying fortress and was also qualified as a bombardier. He was a survivor of Pearl Harbor, being located at Hickman Field on December 7 when the Japs struck. He attended the public school in Laurel Run where his aunt, Miss Bessie Herriotts was his teacher, later attending Coughlin High School.
Continue reading “Two Soldiers Are Killed In Plane Mishaps”
Funeral services for Corp. James Herriotts, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. James Herriotts, Sr., 20 Marshall Street, Laurel Run, were conducted Saturday afternoon at Laurel Run Primitive Methodist Church, where the hero’s body lay in state prior to the services. Rev. George T. Bamford officiated.
Interment was in Fern Knoll Burial Park, Dallas, where military services were conducted by Wilkes-Barre Township Post 815, American Legion. Stanley Edwards was in command, with John Quinn chaplain and Andrew Burcha and Joseph Davis buglers.
Color bearers were Andrew Andrasik and John Basham. In the firing squad were Michael Krutski, John Monick, George Skuba and Joseph Pechules.
Bearers, uncles of the deceased, were Garfield and John Herriotts, Charles and Abram Belles, Almon Barnes and Doyle Downing.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Record, March 21, 1949.