Helen Green & George Boyd

Middletown, N.Y., June 23 — At Mount Joy Farm, near here, this evening at 6 o’clock Miss Helen G. Green, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Homer M. Green, formerly of New York, was married to George Boyd, of Walkill. The ceremony was performed by Rev. George H. Boofield of Goshen Presbyterian Church. After a honeymoon trip, the couple will reside at Orange, N.J.

Source: New York Times, June 24, 1928.

Advertisements

George Adams Boyd

Middletown, N.Y., March 12 — George A. Boyd, who retired in 1963 as executive vice president of the domestic American Fore Loyalty Group of insurance companies, died yesterday at Mount Joy Farm, his home here. He was 73 years old. Mr. Boyd was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Cornell in 1921. He was a trustee of the United States Trust Company and of Skidmore College, and the author of “Elias Boudinot, Patriot and Statesman,” published in 1952. Surviving are his widow, the former Helen G. Green; a daughter, Mrs. Leland Rice, and two grandsons.

Source:  New York Times, March 13, 1972.

Sidney E. Rorick

Sidney E. Rorick was born in Franklin county, Ohio, on October 31, 1849, the son of C.H. and Julia F. Rorick. In 1859 he came with his parents to Iowa and first settled on the farm later known as the Rorick farm south of Oxford Mills. The first home was a log cabin.

In 1876 he was married to Miss Charity Green. They began housekeeping on the farm home, improving it as they were able until their removal to Oxford Mills in 1900. Two children were born to this union, Cornelius H. and Edna, both of whose lives were closed years ago. Mrs. Rorick died on March 22, 1927.

Mr. Rorick’s life began to fail over a year ago. A serious illness then nearly claimed his life but when practically all hope was abandoned for his recovery a change was noted and improvement came slowly but surely. This past fall Mr. Rorick went to California hoping to escape the dreaded winter months but the climate did not agree with him and he returned here to his home. Soon afterwards he became seriously ill but warded off the approaching end for weeks.

One brother, D.D. Rorick of Monticello, is the only living near relative.

Mr. Rorick was a member of Zealous Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and had belonged to the Owls.

Services were held at the M.E. church at Oxford Mills Monday afternoon, Rev. Wolgemuth of the Lutheran church officiating, assisted by the Lutheran choir and the members of the Masonic order, who conducted the commitment ceremonies. He was laid to rest in the family lot beside his wife in the Mayflower cemetery.

Those from a distance who attended the funeral of S.E. Rorick were his brother, D.D. Rorick of Monticello, Iowa; Mrs. Winnie Ottsen of Rock Island, Ill., and the following nieces and nephews, Mrs. J.W. Garth and W.C. Tyrrell of Beaumont, Texas; Preston Tyrrell of Belmond, Iowa; Mrs. Woodward of Olin; and Mrs. Wilkinson.

Source: Oxford Mirror, April 3, 1930.

Sidney E. Rorick

Among the many people of worth that the state of Ohio has contributed to the development of this part of Iowa may be mentioned Mr. S.E. Rorick, retired farmer and present bank president.

Mr. Rorick is one of the men who helped to make this township all that it is. He was born at Columbus, Ohio, October 31, 1849, and removed with his parents by ox team to Iowa in 1859, locating on the present well known S.E. Rorick farm, three miles south of Oxford Mills.

They lived in a log house, the gable ends of which were made of basswood boards that warped in the sun, and when winter came, let in a fairy blanket of snow upon the boys’ beds, or in summer let the rain trickle down over the immaculate whitewashed walls, much to the distress of Mother Rorick, whose idea of housekeeping was spotlessness.

Soon the war clouds burst, factories closed, individual workers ceased to ply their trade and joined the ranks of the army. Articles of clothing doubled and trebled in price. He describes very vividly the eagerness with which the children awaited the father’s return from the distant village, whither he had gone to purchase the yearly supply of boots, and the wild joy with which they rant to meet him and seize their treasures.

In 1876 Mr. Rorick was united in marriage to Miss Charity Green, well known for her unusual personal beauty, which was but an indication of a character even more beautiful. They began housekeeping upon the home farm, which they have greatly improved from time to time, until their removal to the Oxford Mills residence in 1900.

Mr. Rorick is an ardent advocate of the truth that women are superior to men in moral attributes, purity of purpose and ideals. He contends that in their fair hands lies the making of the men of our country. That men are what they are because of the influence of some good mother, wife or sister. He also holds that since a wife must share her husband’s success or failure, she should be consulted in the conduct of his affairs.

Mr. Rorick is just such a gentleman as you would expect a man to be who held such principles in the face of opposition or ridicule. He is an honored citizen in whom the people place implicit confidence, as shown by his selection to the presidency of the bank, by his service to the state as assessor, clerk and member of the school board. He is an enthusiastic mason.

Source: Oxford Mirror, December 29, 1904.

Sidney E. Rorick

S. E. Rorick, a retired farmer and banker, who is living in the enjoyment of a well earned rest in Oxford Mills, Oxford township, was born in Franklin county, Ohio, October 31, 1849. His parents, C. H. and Julia F. (Kimball) Rorick, were natives of New Jersey, where they were reared and married, but in 1836, came west as far as Ohio, where they entered timber land and secured a farm. They built a log cabin as their first habitation in the new state, and after twenty years’ residence there removed to Indiana, in 1856. Two years later they came to Iowa, locating in Jones county after a period of six months spent in Clinton county. Here the father engaged in agricultural pursuits, and here after many years of active labor his life was brought to a close. His wife also passed away in this county. Of the nine children born to them six now survive, bearing daily witness to the sturdy principles inculcated into them in their youth.

S. E. Rorick was reared at home, acquiring a. fair education in the neighboring schools, and he worked upon the farm during his school days, so that he was well prepared through practical experience for the responsibilities of life. Until he became of age his father received the benefit of his labor, but after attaining his majority he commenced farming for himself. For six years he rented land in this county, but in 1884 went to Hand County, South Dakota, where he engaged in real-estate transactions. After an experience of one year, however, he returned to Jones county, engaging in the buying and selling of stock of all kinds. During the five years he devoted himself to operations of that kind he was able to purchase three hundred and twenty-three acres in Oxford township, on which he lived for ten years, or until 1900. During that time the fields brought forth bountiful returns for his endeavors, so that when he retired to Oxford Mills he was able to organize what was known as the Oxford Junction Savings Bank. But the active cares of life were becoming heavier as the years went by and in 1905, Mr. Rorick sold his interest in the institution and retired.

In the three score of years that have now measured his span of life, he has known many hardships and privations, but with determination, he faced his trials, and through unswerving devotion to what he believed to be his duty has attained to a position that is attended with the respect ever accorded to success and uprightness.

In 1876, Mr. Rorick wedded Miss Charity Green, who was born in Ohio in 1849. Her mother died when she was but a small child, but her father lived until 1884, when he too passed away. Five children were born to her parents, and through her marriage, Mrs. Rorick has become the mother of two Cornelius H., who is at home, and Edna, who is deceased.

Politically Mr. Rorick has invariably given his support to the democratic party and while he has not been a seeker for office, he has served as trustee of his township off and on for the past twenty years and was twice nominated by his party for sheriff. Although he does not affiliate with any church, his life has been ordered in accordance with Christian principles so that his success carries no bitterness with it. He belongs to the Oxford Junction Lodge, No. 435, A.F.&A.M., and to the Owls, being at present the treasurer of the local chapter of this latter body, a fact that bears additional testimony to the confidence, those who know him best place in his judgment and integrity.

Source: Corbitt, R.M. 1910. History of Jones County, Iowa, Past and Present. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Company.

Obituary and Funeral Notice for Bertha Green Rorick

Bertha Green Rorick
Heart Attack Fatal to Mrs. John Rorick
Was Active in Red Cross, Club and Church Activities

Mrs. Bertha Green Rorick, wife of John P. Rorick, a prominent resident of Adrian and Lenawee County, died suddenly Sunday morning in her home at 403 Toledo Street, the result of a heart attack. She had been in her usual good health, working Saturday all day at her Sand Lake cottage, and Sunday morning had made preparations to attend church services as was her custom. She was dressing for church when stricken.

Mrs. Rorick suffered a heart attack a few years ago after an operation, but apparently had recovered and had resumed her many activities in church and club work. When the appeal for workers in Red Cross work was made Mrs. Rorick with her usual generosity began to spend many hours at headquarters and this winter with Mrs. W.B. McKenzie was made co-chairman of the production committee. She was faithful in her duties and worked unceasingly and apparently untiringly at the headquarters.

Mrs. Rorick was born January 2, 1877, in Chesterfield, Ohio, the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. N.T. Green. She graduated from Morenci High School in 1895 and on November 25, 1897, married John Porter Rorick, who survives with six children, Mrs. Harry W. Lundahl of Adrian, Mrs. Prosser M. Watts of Hamilton, N.Y., Mrs. Russell B. Raymond of Bryan, Ohio, Mrs. J. Clayton Scott of Adrian, John Porter Rorick, Jr. of Seneca and Lt. Alan G. Rorick, U.S.A. now stationed at Camp Forest, Tenn. Ten grandchildren, John Rorick, Mary and Marjorie Lundahl, Thomas McKeever and Prosser McKeever Watts, Kathryn, William and Russell Raymond, Jo Anne Scott and Jeanne Rorick also survive.

The Roricks were residents of Morenci for 30 years with the exception of one spent in Chicago during the World’s Fair in 1892-93 [Noted by Helen Rorick Lundahl “this should probably say the Greens”]. They lived in Adrian for 11 years and then went to the Rorick farm in Seneca for a few years, returning to their Adrian home in August 1936 where they have since lived.

Mrs. Rorick when asked what her hobby was on one occasion replied “my children.” Her chief interest was in her home and family, then her church and then her club work.

She was a member of the Presbyterian Church where she was active in all societies and departments. She served as Superintendent of the intermediate department of the Sunday school for ten years, was an officer in the missionary society and other societies and was interested in the general church programs. She was a member of the state Presbyterian board.

She was a descendant of General Nathaniel Green of Revolutionary fame and joined the Wauseon, Ohio Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1912, transferring to the Lucy Woldcott Barnum Chapter in Adrian. She retired as regent of the Adrian Chapter this spring having served for two years.

She was a member of the Adrian Woman’s Club, serving as its president in 1933-34. She was also a member of the Ada C. Mumford Union of the W.C.T.U.

When her children were attending school she was active in Parent-Teacher circles and a few years ago served on the advisory board of the Salvation Army. After retiring as Regent of the Lucy Wolcott Barnum Chapter of the D.A.R., this spring, instead of relaxing, concentrated her time and energy on Red Cross work and when a large quota was received recently by the Lenawee County branch she mapped out a plan to interest the entire county in its completion. Only last week when the chapter was presented with a cutting machine which will greatly lessen the work at headquarters, she was overjoyed and remarked how much hand labor the gift would save.

The funeral service will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock in the home on Toledo Street, with the Rev. George Prentice officiating. The burial will be in the family lot in Oak Grove Cemetery in Morenci.


The funeral services for Mrs. John P. Rorick, whose sudden death occurred Sunday morning in her home 403 Toledo Street, were largely attended yesterday afternoon, the spacious Rorick home being taxed to accommodate the many friends who came to pay their last respects. The Rev. George D. Prentice, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, officiated. The burial was in the family lot in Oak Grove Cemetery in Morenci and the bearers were the two sons and four sons-in-law of the deceased, John P. Rorick, Jr., Lt. Alan G. Rorick, Dr. Harry W. Lundahl, Prosser Watts, Russell Raymond and J. Clayton Scott.

Relatives and friends attended the service from Toledo, Columbus, Cleveland, Pioneer, Fayette, Portsmouth, Archbold and Bryan, Ohio, Ann Arbor, Morenci, Brooklyn, Jackson, Seneca, Royal Oak, Dearborn, Albion, Lansing, Battle Creek, Howell, Wyandotte, Tecumseh, Marquette, and Hudson, Michigan.

Source:  Lundahl, Helen Rorick.  (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America.  (NB:  This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings).