Silver Wedding Celebrated

FAYETTE, Ohio, Sept. 25.—Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Crane celebrated their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary Saturday, Sept. 16, with a small family gathering at their home on West Main street.  Those present were Mrs. Amanda Horton of Fruit Ridge; Mrs. S.K. Porter, Mrs. Amie Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Rorick of Morenci; Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Rorick of Seneca; Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. A.V. Foster and family, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Prudden, Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Rorick, Miss Isabel Scott and Ceilan Rorick of Toledo; also Miss Amie Crane and George Crane, Jr.  Appropriate gifts in silver from relatives, friends and neighbors were received.  Mr. and Mrs. Crane began housekeeping in Adrian where they resided four years, going from there to Monessen, Pa., where they lived seven years, moving from there to Fayette.

Source:  Adrian Daily Telegram, September 23, 1922.

Frank E. Bryant

Frank E. Bryant, son of John and Sophronia Bryant, was born in Seneca township, Michigan, Sept. 10, 1866, at the Bryant homestead, now occupied by his brother Ralph.

He attended the district school and then went to high school one year in Adrian, where later his children were educated. At 21 years of age he took his father’s farm to work on shares. This he kept for seven years, and here he laid the foundation for a successful business career. Sept. 7, 1893, he was married to Katie B. Rorick. They immediately bought the farm near Seneca village, where he resided until his death. To them were born five children, two of whom, John and Jacob, died in infancy. Two daughters, Mary L. and Florence S., also one son, Gerald, are left. Seven years ago on Oct. 24, 1910, the loved wife and mother died after a short illness, leaving three children between the ages of 12 and 16 years.

So great was their father’s determination for them to finish their education that he insisted on them continuing their course at high school while he bravely died his best to keep up the household until their graduation.

With the exception of one year spent in Morenci and one year on his father’s farm, Mr. Bryant made his home on the property which he loved and which he improved and made into an ideal home in every respect. After an illness of one week he died Sunday, Sept. 30, making his age 51 years.

There remain two sisters, Mrs. Nellie Hawkins and Mrs. Ida Gorsuch, and a brother, Ralph J. Bryant.

Frank Bryant was a man of sterling qualities; a man of honesty and integrity; public spirited and always willing to help with any affairs of benefit to the community. He belonged to the Seneca Union church, and was an active member of the Knights of Pythias order. He was a staunch Republican and firm in temperance principles. For some twenty years he has carried on a successful stock business and thus was widely known.

The funeral service was held at the home Tuesday afternoon, and large company of friends and relatives being present. The floral offerings were many and beautiful. Rev. H.W. Moody of the Morenci Congregational church officiated and Clarke E. Baldwin delivered a brief eulogy. Miss Virginia Wilson sang, accompanied by Miss Eva Wilson. The bearers were Ralph Bryant, Archie Hawkins, W.R. Rorick, E.J. Bryant, Wm. Gorsuch and A. H. Nimmo. The members of the K. of P. lodge attended in a body.

Friends present from out of town were Mrs. and Mrs. Melvin McCloe and daughter Maud, and Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Nimmo and daughter Virginia of Detroit; Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rorick and daughter Alma of Buffalo; Mr. and Mrs. John Rorick and Mr. and Mrs. William Gorsuch and family of Wauseon; Mr. and Mrs. A.V. Foster of Toledo; Clarke E. Baldwin, Henry A. Wing, Miss Anna Bemendorfer, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Abbott, Mr. and Mrs. Irving Smith, Mrs. Furman and daughter Freda, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Schneider of Adrian; Mrs. Margaret Ashley of Sand Lake; Mrs. John Doig of Pontiac; Mrs. Josie Howland, Birmingham, Mich.; Dr. and Mrs. E.H. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. E.N. Baldwin, Mrs. G.H. Crane, Perley Cawley and daughter Helen, Mrs. Claud Elliott, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Stoner of Fayette; Albert Hawkins of Los Angeles; Miss Ethelyn Shugars and Elwood Knapp of Onsted.

Source: Adrian Daily Telegram, October 4, 1917.

Funeral of George H. Rorick

MORENCI, Feb. 7.—The funeral of George Herbert Rorick was held Monday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock in the home with Rev. Norman MacNaughton, pastor of the Congregational church, officiating.  The burial was made in the family lot in Oak Grove cemetery.  The bearers were Sam Horton, J.P. Rorick, M.C. Rorick, W.R. Rorick, W.C. Hart and James Miller.  The honorary bearers were Dr. C.A. Blair, C.F. Buck, W.R. Gates, Dr. J.B. Munro, M.C. Wisely and L. Glen Wisely.

Relatives and friends from away who attended the services included Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Rorick and sons Marvin and Ceilan of Toledo, Mrs. Lela [sic] Foster and son Oscar and daughter, Mrs. Charles Beither [sic], Mr. and Mrs. George Crane, Mr. and Mrs. Lyman Snyder and son Cale, and Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Crane of Fayette, Byron Foster of Hudson, Mr. and Mrs. Alec Nimmo, Mrs. Florence Gorton, Mrs. Kathryn Mumford, Mr. and Mrs. Milton Wisely and Mr. and Mrs. Glen Wisely, all of Detroit, Mr. and Mrs. George Abbott, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Burtless, James Miller and the Rev. and Mrs. Norman MacNaughton of Adrian, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Ives of Tecumseh and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Lentz and daughter Alice of Wampler Lake.

Source:  Adrian Daily Telegram, February 7, 1934.

William Murphy Dies

Retired Banker Here

William David Murphy, 71, of 2650 Martin Road, prominent retired Zanesville banker and civic leader, died at 9:43 a.m. Friday in Bethesda Hospital where he had been a patient since July 10.

Mr. Murphy was born Nov. 7, 1900, in Fayette, Ohio, a son of Dr. William and Nellie Murphy.

His family moved to Columbus when he was a boy and he attended schools there, graduating from Ohio State University in 1923. He studied law at Franklin University and passed the bar in 1928. While in school he helped himself financially by selling clothing, and as a messenger for Citizens Bank and Trust Company in Columbus. He remained with the bank when it merged with the Ohio National Bank.

When Ohio National started its branch program in the late 1920s, he served in various executive capacities and in 1929 the Banc-Ohio Corp. was formed and began buying banks in various cities. In 1930, when Citizens National was organized by the merger of four Zanesville banks, Murphy was assigned to Zanesville to supervise its promotion program. He was elected cashier and a member of the Citizens board of directors in May 1931, vice president and cashier in 1945, and president in January 1947, succeeding Henry J. Knoedler. Her retired Dec. 31, 1965, at the age of 65.

He had been an associate trustee of Bethesda Hospital; trustee, treasurer, and past president of the Muskingum Motor Club; and a trustee of the Abbot Home for Men. He was a past campaign chairman of the Community Fund. In 1961 he was appointed chairman of Ohio State University’s Development Fund and in 1966 served as chairman of the Muskingum Area Trade School campaign finance committee.

He was a member and elder of Central Presbyterian Church, a former member of the trustees and past president of the church Brotherhoods; a member of the Rotary Club, Zanesville Country Club, Amity Lodge F&AM, Aladdin Shrine and Zavi Shrine Club.

Surviving are his widow, the former Margaret Foster of the home; a son, William F. Murphy of Route 8; a daughter, Mrs. John (Margaret) McConnell, of Minneapolis, Minn.; seven grandchildren; and a brother, John Murphy of Columbus. A brother, Roy, is deceased.

Friends may call 7 to 9 p.m. today and 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday at Bryan Funeral Home.

Lodge of Amity 5 F&AM will hold services at 7 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.

Source: Zanesville Times Recorder, July 29, 1972.

Blanche Foster & Louis Brannan

Miss Blanche Foster of Round Lake and Louis A. Brannan of Fort Klamath were married today by Rev. Geo. H. Feese of the Grace Methodist church. The groom is a prominent rancher of Wood River Valley, and the bride is one of the most popular school teachers of the county. She has been teaching at Fort Klamath the past two years.

Source: Klamath Falls Evening Herald, July 17, 1912.

Leila Rorick & Albert Foster

Morenci, Mich., Sept. 17 – A most beautiful wedding occurred on Wednesday at noon at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Cosper Rorick, when their daughter, Leila, was united in marriage to Mr. Albert Foster. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Trevor C. Jones in the presence of a large number of guests, all of whom, however, were immediate relatives or near friends of the contracting parties.

The color scheme of the decorations was green and white, and was carried out in white asters, white carnations, lilies, and smilax; while just back of the improvised altar was a massive bank of palms. The bride was dressed in cream crepe de chine and carried a shower bouquet of white rosebuds. She was attended by her cousins, Miss Irene Jewett, of Dayton, O., and Miss Bessie Bennett, of Detroit. These bridesmaids were becomingly gowned in white, and carried shower bouquets of pink roses. Mr. Shirley Foster, brother of the groom, acted as best man, while Dr. Ewart and Mr. Norman Horton did duty as ushers.

Continue reading “Leila Rorick & Albert Foster”

Small Town News—Adrian Daily Telegram

Morenci—The Misses Marilyn Bryant and Pricilla Downer will leave Monday to being their school year at Siena Heights College in Adrian.  (Adrian Daily Telegram, September 11, 1943)

Mr. and Mrs. Albert Foster of Toledo called Sunday on Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rorick.  (Adrian Daily Telegram, January 26, 1943)

Mrs. Harper Gallup and children are spending a few days with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Gallup of Kingsley-st.  (Adrian Daily Telegram, July 29, 1922)

Medina — Miss Helen Guss accompanied by Miss Helen Austin was home from Ypsilanti for the week-end.  (Adrian Daily Telegram, January 28, 1925)

Mr. and Mrs. Harlow Ingall of Plymouth and their daughter Miss Harriet Ingall of New York City were guests Friday of his parents Mr. and Mrs. Fred Ingall.  (Adrian Daily Telegram, August 10, 1943)

Miss Pearl Jones returned last evening from a pleasant visit with her cousin Dr. E.H. Rorick and family of Fayette, O.  (Adrian Daily Telegram, September 17, 1910)

Mr. and Mrs. William Jones and daughter, Pearl, were in Rollin Monday, attending the funeral of a brother’s child.  (Adrian Daily Telegram, September 2, 1905)

Sgt. and Mrs. Jacob Martz arrived Saturday from Portland, Ore., to spend a week with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Rorick and family.  (Adrian Daily Telegram, September 13, 1943)

Mrs. W.C. McConnell is in Morenci, to attend the funeral of her grandfather, Mr. Rorick, who died Saturday. (Adrian Daily Telegram, January 17, 1898)

Mrs. E.E. Spear entertained Tuesday afternoon in honor of Mrs. Maurice Spear. The time was spent socially and Miss Lorena Johnson favored the company with music. Decoration in keeping with the season were [sic] attractive and refreshments were served. The guests were Mrs. G.H. Rorick, Mrs. C.H. Rorick, Mrs. Curtis Rorick, Mrs. Mary Rorick, Mrs. Frank Tayloe, Mrs. Fred oon [sic], Mrs. William Poucher, Mrs. George Pratt, Mrs. Paul Spear, Mrs. Kenneth Spear and Mrs. Richard Rogers. (Adrian Daily Telegram, January 2, 1925)

Dr. Maurice Spear is visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Spear. Dr. Spear and wife recently received their diplomas from the Palmer School of Chiropractors in Davenport, Ia., and will located in Adrian.  (Adrian Daily Telegram, October 7, 1921)

Paul Spear of Claunch, N.M., a former Morenci resident, arrived Thursday evening to visit his brother Kenneth Spear and sister Mrs. Richard Rogers and family and other relatives. He will spend the weekend with his sister Mrs. Ray Lyons and family in Adrian. (Adrian Daily Telegram, October 16, 1943)

Well Known Morenci Resident Passes Away

Mark C. Rorick, older son of Cosper and Nancy A. Breese Rorick, was born on a farm in Seneca township, Michigan Dec. 7, 1845 and died Feb. 6, 1922. His brother Leroy W. was born Sept. 14, 1847. He lived with his parents in a log house until the brick house was built in ’68. Cosper Rorick, father of M.C. Rorick, had a small clearing 3-4 mile north of what is now Seneca village, woods being on all sides. Canandaigua was the nearest post office and trading point combined and traveling was accomplished entirely by ox team or by horse back. The nearest church was at Medina, seven miles distant, and this they attended every Sunday morning. It was necessary to make an early start as they drove an ox team and wagon with a board across the wagon box for the little boys.

When about five years of age “Mark” commenced school in the home district 2 1/2 miles way in the Rorick district today. He walked back and forth to school. When the Tufts school house was being built he attended school in a part of the James Lord home, temporarily. Continue reading “Well Known Morenci Resident Passes Away”

A Well Known Citizen Gone

Death of Leroy W. Rorick at his Home in Morenci Last Saturday Morning

Leroy W. Rorick, a well known citizen of Morenci, died at his home here last Saturday morning, March 10, 1917, after an illness of several months. The funeral service was held Monday under the direction of the K. of P. Lodge of which he was a member.

Judge B.L. Hart of Adrian and Hon. B.D. Chandler of Hudson, who represented the order, gave words of sympathy and helpfulness to the bereaved family.

Miss Virginia Wilson sang a solo. The out of town relatives who attended the funeral were: Mrs. William Rorick of Buffalo, N.Y., Mrs. Spencer Sloan, Mrs. Della McCloe, H.C. Rorick and wife, A.V. Foster and wife of Toledo, J.C. Rorick of Wauseon, Dr. and Mrs. E.H. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Sullivan, P.F. Cawley and daughter, Helen, Earl Baldwin and wife, John Rorick and Mrs. G.H. Crane of Fayette, Hon. G.B. Horton and John Cole of Weston.

Leroy W. Rorick was born in Seneca township, Sept. 14, 1847. His father, Cosper Rorick, a native of New Jersey, came to Michigan in 1840 and commenced with the pioneers in the work of changing a wilderness to a domain of elegant homes and productive farms. His father was married to Nancy A. Breese, Jan. 15, 1845, and they settled on a farm one mile north of Seneca in a log house with primitive surroundings, where Leroy was born. He grew up on the farm laboring with his father in the fields as boys in those days did and walking two and a half miles to a district school house for his education which was completed at the Medina Academy.

He was married Feb. 10, 1870 to Harriet L. Porter to whom were born one daughter, Nellie R., wife of Dr. Murphy of Columbus, OH and Cosper M., cashier of the First National Bank of Morenci. He commenced the work of an active life on the farm where he resided until 1888, when he moved to Morenci where he lived a retired life for one year, then going to Fayette where he purchased a livery business which he successfully followed for nine years. Disposing of the same, he followed the business of harness making for about six years in Morenci, after he which he purchased a farm two miles west of Weston where he resided about three years. He then purchased a small country home near Seneca where he lived until the spring of 1916 when he built a home and moved to Morenci.

His life has been a full demonstration of industry, kindness and business integrity and his faithful friends are numerous wherever he is known. His departure is mourned by all who knew him. He is survived by one brother, Mark C. Rorick of Morenci.

Source:  Lundahl, Helen Rorick.  (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America.  (NB: This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings.)

Golden Wedding Anniversary

Dr. and Mrs. E.H. Rorick of Fayette, OH and Mr. and Mrs. S.K. Porter of Morenci, Mich., celebrated their golden wedding anniversaries at the Blair Hotel in Morenci, Thursday, Aug. 22. It is an unusual and remarkable occurrence for two couples to come down through life together, as has been the case with Dr. and Mrs. Rorick and Mr. and Mrs. Porter.

In the center of a flower-decked table on which a sumptuous dinner was served, was a large basket of golden-hearted Ophelia roses, a remembrance from the guests. The brides each wore a quaint corsage bouquet, the gift of Dr. Rorick Bennett, of Detroit. In the afternoon ice cream, cake and punch were served on the spacious lawn on S.K. Porter, East Main Street.

The double wedding ceremony was performed in the parsonage by Rev. James Noynton, the pastor of the Baptist church at Medina. Both couples have a large circle of friends and acquaintances who extend to them congratulations upon this rare occasion.

The guests were Mr. and Mrs. A.V. Foster, Hon. and Mrs. Horton C. Rorick of Toledo, Mrs. (Dr.) Rorick Bennett and daughter Mrs. George Clark of Detroit, Mrs. and Mrs. Fred Sullivan, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Baldwin, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Crane of Fayette, Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Rorick of Wauseon, Mr. and Mrs. M.C. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. C.M. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Rorick, Mrs. Amelia Rorick, Mrs. Amy Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. H.E. Spear, Mrs. P.H. Spear and Mr. and Mrs. L.H. Converse.

S.K. Porter and Mary Rorick were residents of Seneca Township at the time of their marriage, both living near Seneca Village. After their marriage, they continued to live on the Porter homestead until recent years, when they retired to Morenci. Mr. Porter was Vice President of the First National Bank until recently when he resigned that he might be free from the duties imposed by the position.

Estell Rorick and Mary Acker were residents of Morenci at the time of their marriage. Later, Mr. Rorick took his medical courses at the U. of M. He practiced at Tedrow and then located at Fayette, which pace has been his home except for a short period of years when he resided in Columbus, OH.

The warmth of their genial presence in the community where they reside has left ever a wholesome atmosphere of cheer.

Dr. Rorick in his profession during the past years had been able to enter the hearts of many homes and to have part in the deepest things of many lives. He has time and again given material aid in a silent and inauspicious way to those who will never forget. Generosity pure and simple is an attribute not amiss for Dr. and Mrs. Rorick

When Fayette was struggling in the its steps of progress support was always coming from the Rorick home. Perhaps there is no better way to describe the attitude of these people toward the community than in the words of the poet, “Write me as one who loves his fellow men,” and as a seeming reward for such helpful living, youthful mind and heart have remained with both, and this through half a century. It is not for us to estimate the value of such a home.

Source:  Lundahl, Helen Rorick.  (n.d.) The Rorick Family in America.  (NB:  This manuscript is held in the Toledo-Lucas County Library and contains a number of transcriptions of undated newspaper clippings).