$10,000 Loss in Lake Fire

Members of four of Toledo’s socially prominent families narrowly escaped death injury early Monday in a fire which destroyed two cottages at Wampler’s lake, 16 miles northwest of here, and badly damaged a third with a total loss estimated at $10,000.

The fire started in the cottage of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Baither of Toledo and quickly spread to the cottage of Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Rorick also of Toledo. Both cottages burned. Continue reading “$10,000 Loss in Lake Fire”

Double Golden Wedding Anniversary Celebrated

MORENCI, Aug. 23.—The celebration Thursday of the double golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. S.K. Porter of this place and Dr. and Mrs. Estelle [sic] Rorick of Fayette was an event of more than passing interest. The celebration of the golden anniversary by one couple is quite a common occurrence, but that the four people who were wedded by the same ceremony 50 years ago, August 22, 1868, should live to celebrate the double anniversary is a rare incident.

Continue reading “Double Golden Wedding Anniversary Celebrated”

Rorick-Kelly

Miss Molly Ann Kelly, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Roy Kelly of Rossford, Ohio, and George Herbert Rorick, son of Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Rorick of Seneca, were married at 4:30 o’clock Thursday afternoon in the Rossford Methodist church. The service was read before an improvised altar of roses, delphinium, June lilies and baby-breath. The Rev. C.H. Hutchinson read the single room service. Miss Eunice McDonald cousin of the bride sang “Because” and “I Love You” accompanied by Mrs. Louis Schroeder who played Mendelssohn’s wedding march. Continue reading “Rorick-Kelly”

Rorick

The reunion of the Rorick family was held Wednesday at the home of Mr. and Mrs. M.C. Rorick in Morenci.  These gatherings have now been held annually for about forty-three years.  One hundred and three relatives and friends enjoyed the visiting gand [sic] dinner incident to this event.  At a short business meeting, Dr. E.H. Rorick was elected president for the coming year.  Mrs. Amelia Rorick, who has served as secretary for the past 15 years, declined re-election and Mrs. G.H. Crane was chosen as her successor.  Mrs. G.H. Rorick was appointed chairman of the committee on arrangements.  Continue reading “Rorick”

Obituary

Mrs. Martha B. Spear

Martha Baldwin Spear, daughter of Nelson and Sarah Baldwin, was born in Medina township October 26, 1864. After two years of failing health she departed this life March 5, 1934, at the University Hospital at Ann Arbor, where she had been a patient for the last five weeks. She was aged 69 years. She received her early educational training in the public schools of Medina township and Morenci village. For a number of years she was a very successful teacher in the schools of Medina and Seneca townships. She was married to Estell E. Spear December 31, 1885. To this union six children were born. Rorick, who died in early childhood; Paul and Kenneth of New Mexico; Maurice of Medina township; Dorothy (Mrs. Richard Rogers of Ypsilanti) and Margaret (Mrs. Roy [sic] Lyons of Adrian. Mr. and Mrs. Spear made their home on the farm in Medina township until 1918, when they moved to Morenci.

Continue reading “Obituary”

Silver Wedding Celebrated

FAYETTE, Ohio, Sept. 25.—Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Crane celebrated their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary Saturday, Sept. 16, with a small family gathering at their home on West Main street.  Those present were Mrs. Amanda Horton of Fruit Ridge; Mrs. S.K. Porter, Mrs. Amie Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Rorick of Morenci; Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Rorick of Seneca; Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. A.V. Foster and family, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Prudden, Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Rorick, Miss Isabel Scott and Ceilan Rorick of Toledo; also Miss Amie Crane and George Crane, Jr.  Appropriate gifts in silver from relatives, friends and neighbors were received.  Mr. and Mrs. Crane began housekeeping in Adrian where they resided four years, going from there to Monessen, Pa., where they lived seven years, moving from there to Fayette.

Source:  Adrian Daily Telegram, September 23, 1922.

Frank E. Bryant

Frank E. Bryant, son of John and Sophronia Bryant, was born in Seneca township, Michigan, Sept. 10, 1866, at the Bryant homestead, now occupied by his brother Ralph.

He attended the district school and then went to high school one year in Adrian, where later his children were educated. At 21 years of age he took his father’s farm to work on shares. This he kept for seven years, and here he laid the foundation for a successful business career. Sept. 7, 1893, he was married to Katie B. Rorick. They immediately bought the farm near Seneca village, where he resided until his death. To them were born five children, two of whom, John and Jacob, died in infancy. Two daughters, Mary L. and Florence S., also one son, Gerald, are left. Seven years ago on Oct. 24, 1910, the loved wife and mother died after a short illness, leaving three children between the ages of 12 and 16 years.

So great was their father’s determination for them to finish their education that he insisted on them continuing their course at high school while he bravely died his best to keep up the household until their graduation.

With the exception of one year spent in Morenci and one year on his father’s farm, Mr. Bryant made his home on the property which he loved and which he improved and made into an ideal home in every respect. After an illness of one week he died Sunday, Sept. 30, making his age 51 years.

There remain two sisters, Mrs. Nellie Hawkins and Mrs. Ida Gorsuch, and a brother, Ralph J. Bryant.

Frank Bryant was a man of sterling qualities; a man of honesty and integrity; public spirited and always willing to help with any affairs of benefit to the community. He belonged to the Seneca Union church, and was an active member of the Knights of Pythias order. He was a staunch Republican and firm in temperance principles. For some twenty years he has carried on a successful stock business and thus was widely known.

The funeral service was held at the home Tuesday afternoon, and large company of friends and relatives being present. The floral offerings were many and beautiful. Rev. H.W. Moody of the Morenci Congregational church officiated and Clarke E. Baldwin delivered a brief eulogy. Miss Virginia Wilson sang, accompanied by Miss Eva Wilson. The bearers were Ralph Bryant, Archie Hawkins, W.R. Rorick, E.J. Bryant, Wm. Gorsuch and A. H. Nimmo. The members of the K. of P. lodge attended in a body.

Friends present from out of town were Mrs. and Mrs. Melvin McCloe and daughter Maud, and Mr. and Mrs. A.H. Nimmo and daughter Virginia of Detroit; Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rorick and daughter Alma of Buffalo; Mr. and Mrs. John Rorick and Mr. and Mrs. William Gorsuch and family of Wauseon; Mr. and Mrs. A.V. Foster of Toledo; Clarke E. Baldwin, Henry A. Wing, Miss Anna Bemendorfer, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Abbott, Mr. and Mrs. Irving Smith, Mrs. Furman and daughter Freda, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Schneider of Adrian; Mrs. Margaret Ashley of Sand Lake; Mrs. John Doig of Pontiac; Mrs. Josie Howland, Birmingham, Mich.; Dr. and Mrs. E.H. Rorick, Mr. and Mrs. E.N. Baldwin, Mrs. G.H. Crane, Perley Cawley and daughter Helen, Mrs. Claud Elliott, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Stoner of Fayette; Albert Hawkins of Los Angeles; Miss Ethelyn Shugars and Elwood Knapp of Onsted.

Source: Adrian Daily Telegram, October 4, 1917.

Funeral of George H. Rorick

MORENCI, Feb. 7.—The funeral of George Herbert Rorick was held Monday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock in the home with Rev. Norman MacNaughton, pastor of the Congregational church, officiating.  The burial was made in the family lot in Oak Grove cemetery.  The bearers were Sam Horton, J.P. Rorick, M.C. Rorick, W.R. Rorick, W.C. Hart and James Miller.  The honorary bearers were Dr. C.A. Blair, C.F. Buck, W.R. Gates, Dr. J.B. Munro, M.C. Wisely and L. Glen Wisely.

Relatives and friends from away who attended the services included Mr. and Mrs. H.C. Rorick and sons Marvin and Ceilan of Toledo, Mrs. Lela [sic] Foster and son Oscar and daughter, Mrs. Charles Beither [sic], Mr. and Mrs. George Crane, Mr. and Mrs. Lyman Snyder and son Cale, and Mr. and Mrs. G.H. Crane of Fayette, Byron Foster of Hudson, Mr. and Mrs. Alec Nimmo, Mrs. Florence Gorton, Mrs. Kathryn Mumford, Mr. and Mrs. Milton Wisely and Mr. and Mrs. Glen Wisely, all of Detroit, Mr. and Mrs. George Abbott, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Burtless, James Miller and the Rev. and Mrs. Norman MacNaughton of Adrian, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Ives of Tecumseh and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Lentz and daughter Alice of Wampler Lake.

Source:  Adrian Daily Telegram, February 7, 1934.

William Murphy Dies

Retired Banker Here

William David Murphy, 71, of 2650 Martin Road, prominent retired Zanesville banker and civic leader, died at 9:43 a.m. Friday in Bethesda Hospital where he had been a patient since July 10.

Mr. Murphy was born Nov. 7, 1900, in Fayette, Ohio, a son of Dr. William and Nellie Murphy.

His family moved to Columbus when he was a boy and he attended schools there, graduating from Ohio State University in 1923. He studied law at Franklin University and passed the bar in 1928. While in school he helped himself financially by selling clothing, and as a messenger for Citizens Bank and Trust Company in Columbus. He remained with the bank when it merged with the Ohio National Bank.

When Ohio National started its branch program in the late 1920s, he served in various executive capacities and in 1929 the Banc-Ohio Corp. was formed and began buying banks in various cities. In 1930, when Citizens National was organized by the merger of four Zanesville banks, Murphy was assigned to Zanesville to supervise its promotion program. He was elected cashier and a member of the Citizens board of directors in May 1931, vice president and cashier in 1945, and president in January 1947, succeeding Henry J. Knoedler. Her retired Dec. 31, 1965, at the age of 65.

He had been an associate trustee of Bethesda Hospital; trustee, treasurer, and past president of the Muskingum Motor Club; and a trustee of the Abbot Home for Men. He was a past campaign chairman of the Community Fund. In 1961 he was appointed chairman of Ohio State University’s Development Fund and in 1966 served as chairman of the Muskingum Area Trade School campaign finance committee.

He was a member and elder of Central Presbyterian Church, a former member of the trustees and past president of the church Brotherhoods; a member of the Rotary Club, Zanesville Country Club, Amity Lodge F&AM, Aladdin Shrine and Zavi Shrine Club.

Surviving are his widow, the former Margaret Foster of the home; a son, William F. Murphy of Route 8; a daughter, Mrs. John (Margaret) McConnell, of Minneapolis, Minn.; seven grandchildren; and a brother, John Murphy of Columbus. A brother, Roy, is deceased.

Friends may call 7 to 9 p.m. today and 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday at Bryan Funeral Home.

Lodge of Amity 5 F&AM will hold services at 7 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home.

Source: Zanesville Times Recorder, July 29, 1972.

Blanche Foster & Louis Brannan

Miss Blanche Foster of Round Lake and Louis A. Brannan of Fort Klamath were married today by Rev. Geo. H. Feese of the Grace Methodist church. The groom is a prominent rancher of Wood River Valley, and the bride is one of the most popular school teachers of the county. She has been teaching at Fort Klamath the past two years.

Source: Klamath Falls Evening Herald, July 17, 1912.