Reynoldsburg, O., July 12.—One of the most delightful events in this vicinity for a long time was a day passed with lovely, old “Grandma” Rochelle, last Wednesday, it being her 93rd birthday. Friends and relatives by the dozens with well filled baskets trooped to the comfortable farm house, one of the landmarks of the community, and the day was given up to quiet enjoyment, the venerable hostess being one of the liveliest of the gay party.
Mrs. Lucinda Search Rochelle was born at Sparta, Sussex county, New Jersey, July 9, 1809, and married John Rochelle, at Morristown, N.J., April 9, 1825. They moved to Black Lick, Franklin county, Ohio, in 1836, and purchased the land, and cleared it, and hewed the logs and erected their own cabin on this farm, where she now lives.
Continue reading ““Grandma” Rochelle Reaches Her Ninety-Third Birthday”
A Cleveland bride, Anne Marie Feth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert W. Feth, 2240 Cranston Road, University Heights, was married Saturday, June 27, in Columbus to Charles Otis Chrysler, son of Mr. and Mrs. Otis R. Chrysler, of Gahanna, O. Dr. Emory Hartman officiated in Bexley Methodist Church. In the wedding party were Barbara Francisco, Jane Hahn, Carolyn Chrysler, sister of the bridegroom; Richard Poth, Wilbur Schneider, John Dayton and Edward Johnson. The couple will resided at 1144 E. 15th Avenue, Columbus. The bride was graduated from Miami as was her husband.
Source: Cleveland Plain-Dealer, July 9, 1953.
Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the R.L. Southwick funeral home for Mrs. Clara Palmer Chrysler, 77, wife of the late Charles H. Chrysler, who died at her home, 85 E. Tulane Rd[.], Sunday.
Mrs. Chrysler was a member of Gahanna Presbyterian church, Children’s Hospital Twig No. 6, and the Columbus Society of the Hard of Hearing.
She is survived by two sons, Claude H. and Otis R. Chrysler, Gahanna; three daughters, Mrs. Robert Schneider of Central College, Miss Helen Chrysler, a teacher at Central high school, and Mrs. Fred L. Donnally, field director of the National Delphian society; a twin brother, Clarence J. Palmer, Kirkersville; sister, Mrs. Ella Frazier, Dresden, and seven grandchildren.
Burial will be at Gahanna.
Source: Columbus Dispatch, August 23, 1943.
Mrs. Clara Chrysler, 77, 85 East Tulane road, Columbus, widow of Charles H. Chrysler, died Sunday in her home.
Surviving are her two sons, Claude H. and Otis R. Chrysler, Gahanna; three daughters, Mrs. Robert Schneider, Central College; Miss Helen Chrysler, and Mrs. Fred L. Donnally, Columbus; a twin brother, Charles J. Palmer, Kirkersville; a sister, Mrs. Ella Frazier, Dresden, and seven grandchildren.
Funeral arrangements are incomplete.
Source: Newark Advocate, August 23, 1943.
Master Otis Chrysler of Gahanna is vesting his cousin, Hugh Boyd McGlade, this week. (Newark Advocate, June 29, 1916)
Mrs. Emma Fleming of 144 South Second street is recovering from a serious operation performed a few days ago. (Newark Advocate, August 20, 1917)
Mrs. Delbert Mason entertained Wednesday evening the members of the Brownsville band and their families at their home, 265 Rugg avenue in honor of Mr. Mason’s 28th birthday anniversary. The event was in the nature of a surprise for Mr. Mason. Mr. Mason is a member of the band. After the band rendered several selections refreshments were served to more than fifty guests. (Newark Advocate, August 16, 1919)
Xenophen McIntosh and daughters, Emma and Helen, of Newark, spent Sunday with Mr. McIntosh’s parents Mr. and Mrs. David McIntosh and family, of East Broadway. (Newark Advocate, March 16, 1904)
Mrs. Xenophen McIntosh and daughter, Miss Helen McIntosh, of 144 South Second street, are visiting friends at Rochelle. (Newark Advocate, August 27, 1904)
Mr. G.W. Todd, who suffered a stroke of paralysis at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Frank Beals, is very ill and very little hope is held of his recovery. (Newark Advocate, October 15, 1907)
Eli Chrysler is numbered among the early settlers of Mifflin township, where he yet resides, his home being a half a mile west of Gahanna. Many years have passed since he came to Franklin county and decade after decade has been added to the cycle of the centuries. The contract between the site which met the gaze of the traveler when Mr. Chrysler first arrived here and the view which is spread out before the visitor of to-day is very great. Then there were to be seen unbroken forests and tracts of wet, marshy land, where to-day are fine fields of grain, surrounding commodious and substantial farm houses, while here and there are towns, villages, and cities with all the business interests known to the much older east.
Mr. Chrysler was born in Cayuga county, New York, June 15, 1836. His father, Adam Chrysler, was a native of the Empire state and a farmer by occupation. In 1838 he came to Ohio, locating in Licking county, and in 1853 he took up his abode in Franklin county, his farm being situated in Truro township. His last days, however, were passed in Mifflin township, where he died when about seventy years of age. He was of German lineage. His wife, who bore the name of Ruth Leonard, was a native of Vermont but was reared in New York and for many years was a resident of Ohio, her death occurring in Columbus when she was about seventy years of age. She was of English descent. They were the parents of four sons and five daughters, eight of whom reach years of maturity.
Continue reading “Eli Chrysler”