Short News Items from 1937

Mr. and Mrs. Remmel Blankenbush and son, of New Jersey, spent the week end with Mrs. Minnie Bellas [sic]. (Wilkes-Barre Record, January 9, 1937)

Rv. James D. Bryden of South Walnut Street has returned from Green Cove Springs, Fla., where he spent a month with his son, Rev. Lewis B. Bryden and family. (Wilkes-Barre Record, March 6, 1937

Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Loosley have returned to Fort Klamath after spending the winter months visiting their son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. John Zbinden, near Klamath Falls. (Klamath Falls Evening Herald, April 9, 1937)

Continue reading “Short News Items from 1937”


Miss Lucy C. Belles, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B.F. Belles, of Oliver’s Mills, was married to Remmel J. Blankenbush, son of Mr. and Mrs. R.C. Blankenbush, of 47 Liddon street, Parsons section, on Saturday at the Methodist Episcopal church parsonage, Scranton. Rev. F.P. Doty, uncle of the bride, performed the ceremony.

Mrs. Nellie Guzzie and Benjamin Guzzie, both of Clark’s Green, were attendants. Following the ceremony dinner was served by Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Guzzie at their home at Clark’s Green.

Mr. and Mrs. Blankenbush will live at 47 Liddon street, Parsons section.

Source: Wilkes-Barre Record, February 28, 1928.

Oliver’s Mills Resident Dies

Benjamin F. Belles, 65, a well known resident of Oliver’s Mills for the last 30 years, died at 1:30 o’clock this afternoon at the family home following four months illness of general debility.  He was formerly employed by Dupont Powder Mill.

Surviving are his widow and these children:  Mrs. James Herriotts of Laurel Run, Mrs. Almon Barnes of Oliver’s Mills, Mrs. Remmel Blankebush of Caramus [sic], N.J., Charles and Abram of Oliver’s Mills, James of Mountain Top, and George of Endicott, N.Y.; two sisters, Mrs. Curtin [sic] Casterline of Wilkes-Barre, and Mrs. William Hurx of Buck Township; also a brother, William.

Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at the late home.  Interment will be in Fern Knoll Burial Park at Dallas.

Source:  Wilkes-Barre Times Leader, October 2, 1935.