Mr. and Mrs. Remmel Blankenbush and son, of New Jersey, spent the week end with Mrs. Minnie Bellas [sic]. (Wilkes-Barre Record, January 9, 1937)
Rv. James D. Bryden of South Walnut Street has returned from Green Cove Springs, Fla., where he spent a month with his son, Rev. Lewis B. Bryden and family. (Wilkes-Barre Record, March 6, 1937
Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Loosley have returned to Fort Klamath after spending the winter months visiting their son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. John Zbinden, near Klamath Falls. (Klamath Falls Evening Herald, April 9, 1937)
Continue reading “Short News Items from 1937”
Charles Belles, who enlisted in the U.S. Navy as a telegraph and wireless operator, and has lately been attached to the U.S.S. Mt. Vernon, is spending a short furlough at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Belles, at Laurel Run. His boat made several trips across the Atlantic ocean to England and France since July and he spent several short furloughs in different sections of France. He talks entertainingly of his experiences but is not allowed to go into detail of what he knows or has seen. He brought home a number of interesting relics, among which is a piece of cloth taken from the German Zeppelin airship that was captured intact in France several weeks ago.
Source: The Wilkes-Barre Record, December 20, 1917.
Miss Luella Belles and James Herriogs [sic], both of Laurel Run ,were quietly married May 27 at the parsonage of the First Primitive Methodist church on the Heights by the Rev. J.H. Buckingham. Since then the wedding was kept quiet until today when the couple announced the marriage to their friends.
Mr. and Mrs. Herriogs [sic] have taken up housekeeping at Laurel Run. Mr. Herriogs [sic] is employed by the Red Ash colliery where his father is outside foreman. The bride is a popular young lady of the Laurel Run district.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Evening News, June 24, 1914. Herriotts is consistently misspelled as Herriogs throughout the original, including the headline.
The marriage of Elsie Herriotts, daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. James Herriotts to Grant Keiper, son of Mrs. Edna Keiper of Fern Ridge, will be held Saturday at noon. The ceremony will be performed at the home of the bride’s parents, 20 Marshall Street, instead of in the P.M. Church, as previously announced, owing to the serious illness of Benjamin Belles, grandfather of the bride. Rev. George T. Bamford will officiate.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Record, August 23, 1935.
Georgetown Girl, Laurel Run Man Married in St. Joseph’s Church
Miss Mary Rush, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Rush, 521 Anderson Street, became the bride of Abram Belles, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Abram Belles of Oliver’s Mills, on June 26 in St. Joseph’s Church, Georgetown. Rev. Gilbert Monroe, OFM, officiated at the double ring ceremony.
Miss Catherine Rush, sister of the bride, was maid of honor, and John Rush, brother of the bride, best man.
The bride was attired in a white gabardine suit with a picture hat. She wore a white orchid corsage. The maid of honor wore a white suit, identical to that of the bride, green and white accessories and an orchid corsage.
The mothers of the bride and bridegroom wore navy blue print dresses with matching accessories and corsages of red roses.
Following a garden reception at the bride’s home for 200 guests, the couple went to Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Belles are residing at 521 Anderson Street.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Record, July 28, 1948.
Miss Lucy C. Belles, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B.F. Belles, of Oliver’s Mills, was married to Remmel J. Blankenbush, son of Mr. and Mrs. R.C. Blankenbush, of 47 Liddon street, Parsons section, on Saturday at the Methodist Episcopal church parsonage, Scranton. Rev. F.P. Doty, uncle of the bride, performed the ceremony.
Mrs. Nellie Guzzie and Benjamin Guzzie, both of Clark’s Green, were attendants. Following the ceremony dinner was served by Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Guzzie at their home at Clark’s Green.
Mr. and Mrs. Blankenbush will live at 47 Liddon street, Parsons section.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Record, February 28, 1928.
The marriage of Miss Elizabeth Ann Seiber, daughter of Mrs. Anna Seiber of Mountain Top and James Burr Belles, son of Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Belles of Laurel Run took place, Thursday at high noon in Mountain Top M.E. church. Rev. H.R. Brong performed the ceremony and Mrs. Charles Belles of this city played the wedding music.
The bride was attractively gowned in blue velvet with a hat to correspond and carried an arm boquet [sic] of roses and valley lilies.
A reception was held at the home of the brides mother, after which the young couple left for an extended wedding trip. They will be at home at Mountain Top after December 15.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Times Leader Evening News, November 15, 1929.
WAVERLY, Nov. 2—Funeral services were held today for Mrs. Minnie Belles in the Laurel Hill Evangelical church in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. She was buried in Wilkes-Barre.
Mrs. Belles died Monday at the age of 68, after a short illness. She was formerly a resident of Barton, having moved to Wilkes-Barre from here about 30 years ago. She made frequent visits to Waverly, her last being last summer.
She is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Louanna Stebbins of Lompac [sic], Cal., formerly of Waverly and Mrs. Carrie Ferris of Corning; and a brother, Joseph E. Doty of Scipio, Utah.
Harold and Ira VanNest [sic] of Waverly, nephews of Mrs. Belles, went to Wilkes-Barre yesterday.
Source: Sayre Evening Times, November 2, 1938.
Benjamin F. Belles, 65, a well known resident of Oliver’s Mills for the last 30 years, died at 1:30 o’clock this afternoon at the family home following four months illness of general debility. He was formerly employed by Dupont Powder Mill.
Surviving are his widow and these children: Mrs. James Herriotts of Laurel Run, Mrs. Almon Barnes of Oliver’s Mills, Mrs. Remmel Blankebush of Caramus [sic], N.J., Charles and Abram of Oliver’s Mills, James of Mountain Top, and George of Endicott, N.Y.; two sisters, Mrs. Curtin [sic] Casterline of Wilkes-Barre, and Mrs. William Hurx of Buck Township; also a brother, William.
Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at the late home. Interment will be in Fern Knoll Burial Park at Dallas.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Times Leader, October 2, 1935.
Funeral services for Corp. James Herriotts, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. James Herriotts, Sr., 20 Marshall Street, Laurel Run, were conducted Saturday afternoon at Laurel Run Primitive Methodist Church, where the hero’s body lay in state prior to the services. Rev. George T. Bamford officiated.
Interment was in Fern Knoll Burial Park, Dallas, where military services were conducted by Wilkes-Barre Township Post 815, American Legion. Stanley Edwards was in command, with John Quinn chaplain and Andrew Burcha and Joseph Davis buglers.
Color bearers were Andrew Andrasik and John Basham. In the firing squad were Michael Krutski, John Monick, George Skuba and Joseph Pechules.
Bearers, uncles of the deceased, were Garfield and John Herriotts, Charles and Abram Belles, Almon Barnes and Doyle Downing.
Source: Wilkes-Barre Record, March 21, 1949.