Gladys Walling Kanzler

Mrs. John (Gladys B.) Kanzler, 50, of 1725 So. Sheridan Ave., died yesterday in a local hospital. She was born in Purdy and lived in Tacoma some 40 years.

She served as a director of the junior-senior section of the Tacoma Council of P-TA.

Surviving are her husband; one son, John H.; two daughters, Misses Janice and Sandra Kanzler; and one sister, Mrs. Elvira Anderson, all of Tacoma.

Services will be held at 10:30 a. m. Friday at the C. O. Lynn Co. chapel, the Rev. Ludwig Eskildsen officiating. Burial will be in New Tacoma Cemetery.

Source:  Tacoma News Tribune, June 12, 1957.

Advertisements

George Walling Loosley

One of the first white children born at Champoeg, Oregon, in Clackamas County, was George Walling Loosley on August 16, 1856. He and his father, John Loosley, came to Klamath County in 1871, built and operated the first flour mill here and took an active part in the early development of the county. John Loosley was born on February 9, 1824, in Oxford, England, where he received his education. There he sang in Queen Victoria’s choir in the Episcopal Church. His trip to the United States required three months and on arrival he began his life-long trade of flour miller by operating a mill in Chicago. In 1852 he settled in Clackamas County, after coming west by covered wagon, remaining there nearly twenty years before he located in Klamath County at Wood River Valley where he was the first rancher and built the first home, dying there November 24, 1900. George Loosley’s mother, Lucy Walling, was born at Muscatine, Iowa, January 22, 1834. She crossed the plains in a covered wagon with her father, locating at Albany, Oregon, in 1847, and was married at Amity, Oregon, April 1, 1854. Her life was devoted to her 12 children and neighborhood service as practical nurse. On May 28, 1912, she died at Wood River. Among her children known here are Benjamin Henry of Malin; Birdseye McPherson, of Diamond Lake Junction; Fanny (Mrs. Oscar Bunch), of Chiloquin; Philip Sheridan, of Medford, Oregon.

George Loosley attended Oregon schools at Amity, Portland, and Linfield College at McMinnville. He began farming when 14, receiving 75 cents per day and helped support his family until he arrived in Klamath County. Here he was employed as superintendent of the shops and mills at Klamath Agency, subsequently building the school and dormitory, serving as Chief of Police, enforcing prohibition and acting as probation officer in the school work there. He also made rentals and leases of Indian lands. In 1882, he purchased the General Howard boat on Upper Klamath Lake to haul freight and soldiers’ supplied to Fort Klamath. A few years later he began purchasing land in Wood River Valley, acquiring 1200 acres. Although his ranching activities were interspersed with a great deal of service at the Fort and at Klamath Agency, George Loosley was well known in agricultural circles in the valley and, in 1905, raised the first Alsike clover in the county. He also produced the first oats and timothy in Wood River Valley. In 1890, he constructed Linkville Hotel, near Link River and operated this for a time before returning to Wood River where he was appointed custodian of the Fort for two years.

On May 2, 1880 Mr. Loosley married Emma Temperance Anderson at Klamath Agency. She was born at Brownsville, Oregon, December 8, 1859 and attended school in Jackson County, at Yreka and Fort Jones, California. She taught school at Klamath Agency from 1890 to 1895. Through her ancestor, George Anderson, a lieutenant in the Revolutionary Army, Mrs. Loosley is a member of Mount Ashland Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. Her father, Jessie Marion Anderson, was born in Monroe County, Indiana, January 13, 1832. He came to Oregon in 1852 as a Methodist minister and circuit rider, covered the territory from Brownsville to Ashland, Oregon. His death occurred in Ashland, April 9, 1865. Mrs. Loosley’s mother, Melissa Arnold, was born in Fountain County, Indiana, January 1, 1828. She taught school in Iowa before her marriage in that state, and passed the later years of her life at Ashland, where she died on January 21, 1865. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. George Loosley, in Klamath County, as follows: Earl, born June 28 1881, died when six months old; Edward Kenneth, born March 4, 1883, well known contractor of Klamath Falls, has one child, George Butler; Cary Vernell, born June 13, 1885, resides in Klamath County, has two daughters, Carol Jane, a teacher in Klamath Falls, Frances Dorothy, attending Oswego College, Oregon; Clara Morris (Mrs. Fred Neil), born August 30, 1887, died November 25, 1925, had three children, Joe, of Seattle; Kay Frederick, at the State Medical School, Portland Oregon; Jean, a senior at the University of Oregon.

Mr. and Mrs. Loosley are of the Episcopal religious faith and both belong to Alpha Chapter No 1, Order of Easter Star, in Ashland Oregon. Mr. Loosley in consecutive years is the oldest living Mason of the Ashland Lodge, having joined the Order in June 1877. He is now retired, at the age of 84, living with his wife in Ashland, enjoying the fruition of a life well spent.

Source: Good, Rachel Applegate. 1942. History of Klamath County, Oregon : Its Resources and Its People, Illustrated. Klamath Falls, OR.

George Walling Loosley

Various business interests and activities have claimed the attention of George W. Loosley, whose efforts have not only been a source of individual profit but also an element in public progress and prosperity. He now makes his home on a ranch on the west bank of Wood river, three miles south of Fort Klamath, and has converted the place from a tract of wild land into a well developed farm. He was born at Champoeg, Clackamas county, Oregon, August 16, 1856, a son of John and Lucy (Walling) Loosley. The father was born in Oxford, England, February 8, 1824, and the mother in Muscatine, Iowa, January 22, 1834. The father served an apprenticeship at the miller’s trade and when twenty-one years of age crossed the Atlantic to New York, whence he made his way to Chicago. There he operated a mill for a year and in 1852 made his way to the Gold Mines of California. He followed mining near Yreka and also in Jackson county, Oregon, and he operated the first gristmill at Albany, Oregon. He was married there and later when to Champoeg, where he conducted a gristmill for Major McLaughlin. Subsequently, he removed to the Grande Ronde Indian reservation in Yamhill county, where he was in the employ of the government under General John F. Miller for about three years. He next went to McMinnville, where he operated a gristmill for several years, but he lost all that he had in the milling business about 1870. He was also in ill health and he had a family of seven children to support. Conditions looked very dark and discouraging but in 1871 he made his way to Klamath Agency, secured a tract of government land and filed on his homestead, settling in the Wood River valley before the survey was made. The remainder of his life was here passed, his death occurring November 8, 1900. He engaged in the cattle business here, starting with sixty head, and he was the first to demonstrate the fact that cattle could remain in the valley through the winter, the other settlers telling him that there was too much snow. Mr. Loosley, however, cut hay and fed his stock and his care of them enabled them to withstand the hard winter. He owned three hundred and twenty acres of land and hard from three hundred to four hundred head of cattle on the range, for the whole country was open then. During the first two years of his residence in this part of the state he was employed at the Indian agency, at which time his nearest neighbors were at Klamath Falls, forty miles away, with some soldiers at the fort. He was largely instrumental in having this valley settled by homeseekers and he contributed in large measure to the early improvement and progress in this part of the state. His wife survived him and passed away in the Wood River valley May 28, 1912. She was a daughter of Jerome B. and Sarah Walling, natives of the middle west, who in 1847 crossed the plains to the Willamette valley and settled on the present site of Amity, in Yamhill county, where they secured a donation claim. In 1864 Mr. Walling removed to Boise Idaho, where he secured land and put in the first irrigation system and also planted the first orchard of that district. He prospered in his undertakings and had a goodly competency to leave to his large family at this death.

George W. Loosley was the second in order of birth in a family of eleven children, the other being: Nancy, the deceased wife of Jacob Moyer; Mary, the wife of John H. Smart, of Wood River valley; J.F., also living in this valley; Rose, the wife of George L. Nutley, of Tacoma, Washington; Bird, of Klamath Falls; Philip Sheridan, living at Tolo, Oregon; Marion, of Wood River valley; Fannie, the wife of Oscar Bunch of Fort Klamath; Milan A., of the Philippine Islands, in the signal service department of the government; and Benjamin, who is postmaster at Fort Klamath.

George W. Loosley remained at home with his parents until twenty-four years of age. He was married May 2, 1880, to Emma Anderson, who was born at Brownsville, Oregon, December 8, 1858, a daughter of the Rev. Marion and Malissa (Arnold) Anderson, who were born, reared and married in the middle west, and in 1851 settled in the Rogue River valley of Oregon, whence they later removed to the Willamette valley. The father was a lifelong clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church. His wife died in January, and he in April of 1861, when they were residing near Ashland, Oregon.

In 1882 Mr. Loosley built and operated the first steamboat on the Upper Klamath lake. It was a screw-propeller, called the General Howard. He afterward built the City Klamath, a stern wheel boat but in 1887 he disposed of his steamboat interest and has since concentrated his energies upon ranching. He owns thirteen hundred acres in Wood River valley in three ranches. His own home is pleasantly situated three miles south of Fort Klamath, on the west bank of Wood river, and through his efforts the place has been transformed from a tract of wild land into a highly improved property. He has every acre under ditch and owns the water supply. The fencing, ditching and irrigating have all been done by him and he also erected good buildings upon his place, which is devoted to the raising of cattle. In 1895 he assisted in establishing the first creamery in Wood River valley at Fort Klamath and for a year after acted as manager, after which the business was sold to his brother John F. Loosley, who still conducts it. George W. Loosley also spent two years in the butchering business at Ashland, from 1908 until 1910, as a member of the Neil-Loosley Company. They owned three markets, bought and sold cattle and carried on an extensive business, their sales in the retail department amounting to sixty thousand dollars annually.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. Loosley have been born four children. Earl was born June 28, 1881, and died January 3, 1882. Edward K., who was born March 4, 1883, is the owner of fruit ranch at Beswick, California. He married Bessie Butler and has one child, George. Carey V., born June 13, 1885, is at home. Clara M. is the wife of Fred R. Neil, a stockman on the Wood River valley, and they have two children: Joe, born March 11, 1907; and Frederick, born May 13, 1910. Edward Loosley spent one year at the State University and is a graduate of the Armstrong Business College. Carey spent three and a half years at the State University and is now superintendent of the Abner Weed ranch of twenty-two thousand acres in Wood River valley. Clara pursued a normal course at Ashland.

In his political views Mr. Loosley is a republican, having always supported the party, as did his father before him. His father voted to make Oregon a free state when the question of slavery was before the people. Fraternally, Mr. Loosley is connected with Ashland Lodge, No. 112, F. & A. M., and his wife is a member of the Eastern Star. They also hold membership in the Episcopal church and are interested in all that pertains to the material, intellectual, political and moral advancement of the district.

Source: The Centennial History of Oregon 1811-1912. Volume IV. 1912. Chicago: The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company.

George P. Walling

George P. Walling, manager and proprietor of the most extensive carpet and rug manufactory on the Pacific coast, comes of a family represented in all of the important wars of the country, and also creditably enrolled among its educators, legislators, farmers and builders. He was born on a farm near Monroe, Green county, Wis., October 1, 1846, a son of J. R., and grandson of Gabriel Walling.

Gabriel Walling was born near Versailles, France, and when a young man came to America with his father, who served in the Revolutionary war. The grandfather was an educator of some note, and became one of the pioneers of Illinois and Iowa. Not less patriotic than his father, he served with courage and distinction in the war of 1812, and while still in Iowa was a member of the legislature of that territory. After crossing the plains in 1847, he located near Oswego, on the Willamette, cleared a plantation and engaged in farming. The sterling traits of character which had already been recognized in Iowa were appreciated to an even greater extent in the unsettled conditions of Oregon, where there was urgent need of so strong and reliant a character, and where conservative eastern forces tempered a tendency to rapid development. He served for one term in the territorial legislature of Oregon, and after assisted in organizing the state, and in framing the first laws of Oregon. He was judge of Clackamas county for two terms, and was variously associated with fraternal and social organizations, including the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mr. Walling died in Polk County, Ore.

J.R. Walling was born near Buffalo, N.Y., in 1813, and learned the carpenter’s trade near Canton, Fulton county, Ill. True to the tradition of his family, he also became familiar with tented field and roar of cannon, for no more patriotic soldier donned the uniform in the Black Hawk war. His regiment was the same as that which was honored by the valor of Lincoln, the great emancipator. After the war, Mr. Walling removed to the vicinity of Davenport, Iowa, and in 1840 removed to Green county, in time constructing the third house in the village of Monroe. He continued to live in the growing little town, and is responsible for a considerable portion of the early upbuilding thereof. Well content with his success he returned to Fulton County in the spring of 1849, and April 29, 1854, started across the plains with his wife, arriving at Amity, Yamhill county, Ore., September 1, 1854. In his adopted western home he engaged in building and contracting, and at the same conducted a farm and nursery, the latter especially being carried on a large scale. These combined interests yielded him a satisfactory income, and he was engaged thereat until his death in 1891, at the age of seventy-eight years. In his young manhood, he married Mary Long, who was born in Virginia and whose paternal grandfather, Ware Long, was born near Paris, France, and immigrated to Virginia. Mr. Long finally became a pioneer farmer on Indiana, from which state he removed to Illinois, his final home being Wisconsin. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was a member of the Baptist Church. Mrs. Walling, who died in Yamhill county, Ore., July 21, 1900, was the mother of the following children: Gabriel, who was born in Fulton County, Ill., in 1836, became a lumber manufacturer in Linn and Polk counties, Ore., and is now engaged in jobbing and contracting in Portland; Nancy, who died in Wisconsin in 1849; William, who died in infancy; Phoebe, who is now Mrs. Burton [sic], of Lewiston, Idaho; George P.; Cynthia, Mrs. McCarthy [sic], of Lewiston, Idaho; and Otto, who is a musician in California.

The carpet manufacturer of Portland recalls very little of his life on the parent farm in Green county, Wis., for he was but seven when he became a small member of the train of emigrants bound for the western coast. At the little old Mount Hood schoolhouse near Amity he imbibed such knowledge as a very busy childhood permitted, and his youth passed by uneventfully until the breaking out of the Civil war. In 1864 he volunteered in Company B, First Oregon Infantry, and for twenty-two months served on the plains against the Indians, taking the place of the regulars who had been ordered back east. He had many thrilling adventures and many hair-breadth escapes, but escaped bodily injury and in due time was mustered out of the service in Vancouver, Wash.

Returning to his home, Mr. Walling was apprenticed to a tinner at Salem, Ore., worked at his trade thereafter, and in 1871 started a tinware and hardware store in Amity. At the end of a year he removed to Placerville, Cal., engaged at the same business for three years, and finally removed his stock to Lodi, Cal. Upon returning to Oregon he conducted a tinware business at Newport for fourteen years, and in 1894 settled in Portland, where he became interested in the carpet business. From a comparatively small beginning, the merits of the commodities manufactured have so increased the demand, that at the present time there is no more extensive concern of the kind on the coast, or in fact this side of the Rocky mountains. The custom extends all up and down the coast, and eight looms are kept busy the year ’round. In addition to carpets and rugs, the firm manufacturers silk portieres five feet and more in length, and some of their carpet is as wide as nine feet. The manufactory is located on the corner of Union avenue and Sacramento streets.

In Lafayette, Ore., Mr. Walling married Dora Clark, a native of Plano, Kendall county, Ill., and a daughter of David Clark, a farmer who removed to California in 1860, and to Oregon in 1866, settling in Dayton, Yamhill county. Mr. Clark engaged first in the manufacture of agricultural implements, but later contracted and built up to the time of his death in Santa Barbara, Cal. He married Harriet Colburn, who was born in New York and died in California, and who became the mother of four children, three of whom are still living: Thornton, a resident of Santa Barbara, Cal.; Mary, now Mrs. Porter of Eldorado county, Cal.; and Dora. Mrs. Walling was reared and partially educated in Illinois, and crossed the plains with her parents, thereafter attending the public schools of California. She came to Oregon in 1868. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Walling: Nora, who is now Mrs. Richardson, of Fort Stevens; Otto, who is a barber of Portland; Omar Clyde, who died at the age of ten months; Lena, who is the wife of Newton Anderson, of Portland; Walter, who is clerking in Portland; and Mary, who died while a baby. Mr. Walling is a Republican in political affiliation, and is associated with the George Wright Post, G. A. R.

Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Portland and Vicinity (Oregon). 1903. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company.

Marjorie Groover Anderson

Marjorie Anderson of Lake Orion died on Oct. 20, 1991 at the age of 70. She is survived by her children, Dennis Perry of Lake Orion and William Stokes of Pontiac; a sister, Margaret Habermas of Waterford Township; five grandchildren and she is the aunt of Barbara and Bob Butler. Funeral arrangements were made by the Lake Orion Chapter of Sparks-Griffin Funeral Home.

Source:  Lake Orion Review, October 23, 1991.