Lewis M. Van Blarcom

As a prosperous citizen and a most estimable citizen, Mr. Van Blarcom is of high standing in his home town of Belvidere. Truly public-spirited, he loses no opportunity of advancing the best interests of his community.

Garret Van Blarcom, father of Lewis Van Blarcom, was born April 10, 1836, in Sussex County, New Jersey, and followed the calling of a farmer. He married Sarah Elizabeth Monroe, who was born March 22, 1844, at Lafayette, Sussex County, and died April 5, 1900, surviving her husband but two years, his death having occurred April 20, 1898.

Lewis M. Van Blarcom, son of Garret and Sarah Elizabeth (Monroe) Van Blarcom, was born December 10, 1863, at Lafayette, Sussex County, New Jersey, and educated in the public schools of his native town, afterwards taking a course at Eastman’s Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York, graduating in 1882. For twelve years thereafater Mr. Van Blarcom was engaged in the hardware business in Dover and New York City, and at the end of that time became a student at the Renouard School of Embalming in New York. After acquiring a thorough knowledge of the profession he carried on the business in Sparta, Sussex County, under his own name, for a period of six years, where he was most successful.

In May 1906 Mr. Van Blarcom came to Belvidere, where he has since been at the head of a high class undertaking establishment, carrying a complete line of modern equipment. At the present time he is the only undertaker in Belvidere, and has built up an enviable reputation for integrity and efficiency.

Politically, Mr. Van Blarcom is a Republican. His fraternal affiliation is with the Free and Accepted Masons, Lodge No. 13; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Lodge No. 13; the Junior Order United American Mechanics, No. 224, of Lafayette, Sussex County; the Improved Order of Red Men and the Paphandaising Tribe, No. 236. His only club is the Rotary Club of Belvidere. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, serving on the official board.

Lewis M. Van Blarcom married, October 28, 1891, Lida J. Fort, daughter of Rev. Jacob and Margaret (Force) Fort, the former a member of the Newark Methodist Conference. The Rev. Jacob Fort was born in 1818, in Burlington County, and died in 1893. His wife was born in 1831, at Red Mills (now Arcola), Burlington County, and died in 1916. George F. Fort, brother of Jacob Fort, was Governor of New Jersey in 1850, and John Franklin Fort, of the next generation, was Governor of the same state in 1910. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Van Blarcom are the parents of three daughters: Helen A., who died January 1, 1928, wife of Louis G. André of Passaic, New Jersey; Margaret Louise, wife of Arthur J. Stewart, of Ridgewood, New Jersey, and the mother of two children, John Lewis and Jane Ella; and Janice Howe, wife of Joseph W. Fisher, of West New York, New Jersey.

Mrs. Lewis M. Van Blarcom was born in Peapack, Somerset County, and is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution by right of descent from John Fort, of Burlington County, a soldier in the Continental Army.

Throughout his career Mr. Van Blarcom has received and merited the titles — than which there are none higher — of an honorable business man and a patriotic citizen.

Source: Honeyman, A. Van Doren. 1927. Northwestern New Jersey: A History of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex Counties. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company.

John Walling

As the son of a prominent business man of Lincoln, Polk county, John Walling has been interested in various enterprises in this community, working for his father in both the mercantile establishment and the People’s Transportation Company, the oldest business of its kind on the Willamette river, and in which the elder Mr. Walling owned an interest. John Walling is now engaged in farming on property which he purchased in 1880, consisting of seventy-two acres of land, forty of which is devoted to the cultivation of hops, the income so acquired amounting to no small percentage of the money invested.

The origin of the Walling family is English, the grandfather having been an Englishman who fought in the Revolutionary war. He was at the time a farmer in the state of Virginia, where his son, J.D., the father of John Walling, was born April 1, 1818. Being reared to the life of a farmer J.D. Walling continued in that occupation in early manhood, locating first in Iowa, where he remained until the spring of 1847, when, with the usual outfit for such a journey, he joined an emigrant train of ox-teams and set out for the west. The train was unusually large, and, with the usual experiences of such a journey, they reached Oregon safely after six months. The first winter of the Walling family in Oregon was spent in Oregon City, the next spring, however, finding them located near Zena, Spring valley, Polk county, on a donation claim of six hundred and forty acres, upon which property Mr. Walling made his home until his death in 1870, being killed by being thrown from a vehicle while driving. In addition to his farming interests Mr. Walling was engaged in general merchandising in Lincoln, and a warehouse in the same location. In politics a Republican, he served as road supervisor. While giving attention to the duties of this office he met his death. Fraternally he was a member of the Masonic order, belonging to the lodge at Amity. The wife of Mr. Walling was in maidenhood Eliza A. Wise, a native of New York state, and the descendant of a Dutch family. She survived her husband twenty-two years, dying in 1892, at the age of sixty-two years. Of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. Walling thirteen are now living, four sons and nine daughters.

John Walling is the fourth child of the family and was born in Iowa, September 14, 1846, being but one year old at the time of the removal to the west. He received his early education in the common school located in the vicinity of his home, and when his school days were over he went to work for his father in his store in Lincoln, where he remained until his father’s death. He then rented a farm for a few years and engaged in the cultivation of the soil, until 1880, when he purchased his present property, which has since yielded him a good income.

The marriage of Mr. Walling occurred in Polk county in 1870, and united him with Celia Harris, who was born in Missouri, January 16, 1850, her father, James R. Harris, crossing the plains in the same year. Of this union nine children have been born. Six died in infancy, while those still living are: Tracy, Lorin and Alvin, all of whom are still at home with their parents. Politically Mr. Walling is a Republican, and has served several offices, among them that of road supervisor and school director, holding the latter position for twelve years. In his fraternal relations, he affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, holding membership with the lodge at McCoy, and with the Maccabees at Lincoln.

Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of the Willamette Valley. 1903. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company.

Jesse D. Walling

Born in Ohio in 1816; moved to Illinois and thence to Iowa, where he was residing in 1847. Came across the plains in that year in a large company led by Captain Davidson. On Christmas of the same year settled in Spring Valley, Polk County, taking a donation claim, which is still possessed by his family. In 1849 Mr. Walling went to California and mined for a short time. Was married in Illinois in 1839 to Miss Eliza A. Wise, a native of New York. The children resulting from this union numbered fourteen, of whom thirteen survive. Mr Walling died in 1870. His widow resides on the donation claim in Spring Valley.

Source: Lang, H.O. 1885. History of the Willamette Valley. Portland, OR: Geo. H. Hines, Book & Job Printer.

Winfield Scott Rochelle

Throughout his entire life Winfield Scott Rochelle has been connected with agricultural interests in Franklin county. He was born September 25, 1847, on the farm where he now resides. His father, John Rochelle, was a native of Sussex County, New Jersey, born in 1805. There he was reared to manhood and learned the trade of an iron-worker, being employed in the days before the advent of the furnace, when the iron ore was taken from the mines and worked into its various stages from the forge. While still in New Jersey Mr. Rochelle was married, and four of his children were born there. In December, 1836, he came with his family to Ohio and settled on the farm now occupied by our subject, purchasing eighty-one acres of land from a Mr. Mills, who was the original owner of the entry from the government. Later Mr. Rochelle added a tract of one hundred and sixty acres in Mercer county and some time subsequently purchased one hundred and twenty-five acres of land adjoining the home farm. There he resided up to the time of his death, which occurred October 26, 1877. He was a stanch supporter of Republican principles and believed firmly in the party, but never sought office. Although a member of no church, he regularly attended the services of the old school Baptist church, of which his wife had been a member for a half-century.

Mrs. Rochelle bore the maiden name of Lucinda Search, and was born in Sussex county, New Jersey, her parents being Martin and Elizabeth (Rorick) Search. Her father was a native of New Jersey and was an iron-worker by trade, following that pursuit in connection with his son-in-law, John Rochelle. His wife was born in Holland [sic], and both died in Muskingum county, Ohio. Mrs. Search came to this state with John Rochelle in 1836 and took up her abode in the home of her son near Zanesville, while her husband remained in New Jersey and settled up some business affairs and to attend a lawsuit over some property. As the litigation continued over a period of several years he did not become a resident of Ohio until 1869. He lived to the advanced age of ninety-two years, and his wife passed away at the ripe old age of ninety-three. It will thus be seen that longevity is a characteristic of the family, and their daughter, Mrs. Rochelle, is still living, at the advanced age of ninety-two years. She is one of the remarkable women of the county, retaining her mental and physical faculties to a wonderful degree. Through fifty years she has held membership in the Baptist Church, and has been one of its active workers, contributing largely to its support and doing all in her power for its upbuilding and growth. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Rochelle were born twelve children, six of whom are yet still living: Dency, the widow of C.H. Barber of Grand Rapids, MI; Mary A., the wife of Daniel Hickman of Truro township, Franklin county; Martin S., a practicing physician of Wichita, Kansas; Winfield; and Phebe C., the wife of W.I. Hempstead of Reynoldsburg, Ohio.

Winfield Scott Rochelle was reared in his parents’ home until his sixteenth year, when he ran away in order to enlist in the service of his country. He made his way to Columbus, and on the 28th of March, 1864, joined Company C, of the Forty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which was assigned to the Fifteenth Army Corps, commanded by General John A. Logan. With the exception of a few weeks in the hospital in Resaca and Marietta, Georgia, he was continuously with his command until the close of the war, and his loyalty and bravery were equal to that of many a veteran of twice his years. He was mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky, on the 27th of July, 1865, after having participated in the following engagements: Resaca, Dallas, Allatoona, New Hope Church, Congaree Creek, Atlanta, Griswoldville, Savannah, Charleston and Columbia.

When the war was over and the country no longer needed his services, Mr. Rochelle returned to his home and resumed the work of the farm. He was the only son at home and his labors proved an important factor in the operation of the fields. On the 4th of February, 1875, he was united in marriage to Mrs. Samarida E. Hanson, a native of Jefferson township, Franklin county, and a daughter of James E. Todd, who was born in Virginia and belonged to one of the early families of this county.

After his father’s death Mr. Rochelle continued the operation of the home farm, and from time to time has purchased the interest of other heirs until he now owns all but a small portion of the place. His fields are under a high state of cultivation, many improvements having been added, and everything about the farm is in a thrifty condition, showing that the owner is a practical and progressive agriculturist. He votes with the Republican party, to which he has given his support since attaining to man’s estate. He is recognized as a leader in local ranks, his opinions carrying weight in party councils. For many years past he has been a delegate to the county and state conventions, and in 1899 he was appointed a member of the country board of election, but resigned that office to become a candidate for the nomination for country infirmary director. He belongs to Reynoldsburg Lodge, No. 350, F. & A. M., and also to Daniel Noe Post, G. A. R. The patriotic spirit which prompted his enlistment in the army in his youth has been manifest throughout his life in the discharge of his duties of citizenship, and in all life’s relations he has enjoyed the confidence and regard of his fellow men.

Source: A Centennial Biographical History of the City of Columbus and Franklin County, Ohio. 1901. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company.

Benjamin F. Walling

The pioneer real estate man of Nampa, and a man to whose activities the city and surrounding country owe much of its importance, Benjamin F. Walling is regarded as one of the city’s most representative men. He is a westerner by birth, and has spent practically all of his life in this part of the country, where he has brought himself from obscure and humble youth to a position of independence and prominence among his fellows. Mr. Walling was born near Salem, in Polk county, Oregon, November 24, 1848, and is a son of Jesse and Eliza Ann (Wise) Walling. His father, a native of Virginia, came to Oregon in 1847, from the state of Iowa, making the journey overland by ox team. He was engaged in the business of buying and shipping grain to England and had many and varied interests, being also a merchant and steamship owner, and a large and successful owner of land on the Pacific coast. His death occurred when he was fifty-two years of age. His wife was a native of New York, and was taken by her parents to Iowa in girlhood, there meeting and marrying Mr. Walling. She accompanied him in the overland trip to Oregon, bravely and uncomplainingly sharing the dangers and hardships of that long and perilous trip, and proved a valuable aid to him in his early struggles for a competence, and a dignified head of his home when he had attained prominence.

Benjamin F. Walling was the fourth in line of a family of thirteen children, and secured his education in the public schools of Oregon, which he attended until he was eighteen years of age. After leaving school he at once started assisting his father in his various enterprises, being associated with him until the time of the elder man’s death, when he removed to California. One year later he entered the Sierra Nevadas at a milling camp, there embarking upon a mercantile career, but subsequently disposed of his interests and went to Hood River, Oregon, when he conducted the Mount Hood Hotel for upwards of five years, meeting with much success. In 1886 Mr. Walling came to Idaho and settled in Nampa when the town was marked by a section house and miles of desert waste. He here assisted in founding and building up the town, platting tracts of land and erecting many structures. On coming to this place he started to deal in real estate, and with this business he has continued to be connected to the present time. He is a charter member of the Chamber of Commerce. Politically, he is a Democrat, but he never cared for public office, and has declined all overtures to that end.

Mr. Walling was married at Albany, Oregon, November 6, 1872, to Miss Georgia M. Conley [sic], daughter of J.B. Conley [sic], a pioneer of that state, and four children have been born to them: Jesse J., who is associated in the real estate business with his father at Nampa; Dora, who is deceased; Frankie G., single and engaged in the millinery business at Nampa; Benjamin F., Jr., who lives in this city. The members of this family are well known and high esteemed in Nampa, where they have numerous warm friends. Mr. Walling takes a pardonable degree of pride in the fact that the left home without funds, and through his own efforts has builded up a large business and made his name respected by his associates. All matters that pertain to the welfare of Nampa or the vicinity find in him an interested listener, and when movements of a beneficial nature are started, he is bound to be found in the vanguard with other earnest, hard working citizens.

Source: French, Hiram T. 1914. History of Idaho. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company.

Zebina C. Andruss

Zebina C. Andruss was born Feb. 7, 1843, in Ontario Co., N. Y. In the spring of 1864, he moved to Michigan, where he lived until the summer of 1867, when he returned to New York. In the fall of 1868 he came to Iowa, arriving at Irvington in September of that year. In the fall of 1869, he settled on the southwest quarter of section 20, township 95, range 28, Irvington township, where he owns 180 acres of well improved land and is engaged in dairying and stock raising. He was married March 24, 1863, to Amanda S. Armstrong, born June 27, 1837, in Steuben Co., N. Y. They have one child—S. Luella. Mr. Andruss and his wife are members of the Baptist Church at Algona. He has been township clerk eight years, and was re-elected to fill the term for 1884. He has also been secretary of the district township of Irvington twelve years.

Source: History of Kossuth and Humboldt Counties, Iowa. 1884. Springfield, IL: Union Publishing Company.

Zelora E. Brown

Zelora E. Brown was born in Brookfield, Madison county, New York, February 9th, 1834. When four years of age, his parents moved to Genessee, New York, where his father received a severe injury, by a falling tree, which resulted in his back being broken. What is quite remarkable, he is still in good health, having lived the last forty years with his lower limbs paralyzed. At the age of twenty-one, Mr. Brown came west but soon returned to New York, where he married Miss Mary R. Armstrong, December 30th, 1856. They came to Dakota, Wisconsin, in 1859, where he engaged in farming until 1861, when he was drafted, but accepted the alternative of paying three hundred dollars, and remained with his family. In the fall of same year he engaged with N.F. Griswold, of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, as traveling agent for agricultural implements, with whom he remained four years, three years of the time being spent in Rochester, Minnesota, where he was superintendent of Mr. Griswold’s business in that section. Here a son, Walter R., was born to him. He then moved to Irvington, Iowa, and became a partner with J.R. Armstrong, in a general merchandise store, remaining five years. Another child was born there, Clarence Z. In 1871, Mr. Brown came to Minneapolis, where he again engaged as solicitor and collector for Mr. Griswold, traveling seventy-five thousand miles by team. He formed a partnership, in 1877, with H.O. Hamlin, which still exists, dealing in real estate.

Source: Williams, J. Fletcher and Edward D. Neill. 1881. History of Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis. Minneapolis: North Star Publishing Company.

Zelora E. Brown

He had nearly completed his fifty-fourth year at the time of his death. In early life he became a member of the Baptist Church, and ever after maintained an unblemished Christian character. He located in Minneapolis, Minn., in 1870, and at once identified himself with the First Baptist Church, and until his death was active and influential in all that pertained to its temporal and spiritual welfare. He served the Church as Trustee until within a year of his death.

Integrity, force and wisdom characterized him as citizen and man of business. He exemplified the Apostle Paul’s grand ideal of the business man, “Diligent in business, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord.” He belonged to that class of men whose courage, push, and wisdom have made Minneapolis what it is. He was a Christian of the most decided convictions. He held the truth with that good old Puritan grip which he inherited through his grandmother, from his great-grandsire, the renowned Elder Abram Coon, of Hopkinton, R.I.

He was frank to a fault, cheerful and tender. His wife and two sons were members with him of the First Baptist Church. They cherish in memory the devoted husband and father, the wise counselor, who was an example of Christian integrity, whose name was honorable and honored within a large circle of relatives and friends. “He rests from his labors and his works do follow him.”

Source: Bowler, N.P. 1905. Record of the Descendants of Charles Bowler. New York: Forman-Bassett-Hatch Company.

Carey W. Dunton

Established in the successful practice of his profession in the city of Manistique, Schoolcraft county, Mr. Dunton merits recognition in this work by reason of the fact that he not only holds prestige as one of the representative members of the bar of the Upper Peninsula of his native state but is also a citizen who stands for conservatism in both business and civic matters, and maintains the confidence of his fellow citizens by the safe and sane ideas of which he is the embodiment.

Mr. Dunton was born at Mattawan, Van Buren county, Michigan, a village located twelve miles southwest of the city of Kalamazoo, on the 25th of June, 1862, and is a son of Rev. Alfred A. and Margaret (Cummins) Dunton, both of whom were representatives of families early founded in Michigan, the original representatives of the Dunton family having settled at Goguac Prairie, Calhoun county, this state, in 1836, about one year prior to the admission of Michigan to the Union. Rev. Alfred A. Dunton was a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church and long years of faithful effort in the ministry are to be recorded in connection with his active career. lie passed the closing years of his life at Battle Creek, Michigan, and his wife died at Hillsdale, Michigan.

Carey W. Dunton is indebted to the public schools of the lower peninsula of Michigan for his early educational discipline, which was supplemented by a thorough course in Hillsdale College, at Hillsdale, this state, in which institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1885 and from which he received his degree of Bachelor of Arts. He then began the study of law under the preceptorship of an able member of the bar of Hillsdale, and in 1887 he was duly admitted to practice, upon examination before the circuit court. In the same year he initiated the work of his chosen profession at. Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, where he remained three years, at the expiration of which he removed to Manistique, where he has followed the work of his chosen vocation during the long intervening period of twenty years. Thus his entire professional career has been identified with the Upper Peninsula, and his precedence as an advocate and counselor of marked ability represents the direct result of his close application, careful and discriminating labors and strong technical ability. He is known as a specially versatile and resourceful trial lawyer and has been identified with most of the important litigation in the courts of Schoolcraft and adjacent counties within the past two decades. He served a number of years as prosecuting attorney of Schoolcraft county and at various times and for varying intervals he has been city attorney of Manistique. He has shown a lively interest in all that has touched the material and civic welfare and progress of his home city and county and for twenty years he has served as a member of the board of school examiners for the county. His practice is now largely confined to corporation work, and he is retained as attorney and counsel by the majority of the leading industrial and business concerns in Schoolcraft county. In politics Mr. Dunton is aligned as a stalwart in the camp of the Republican party, and he has given effective service in behalf of its cause.

On the 11th of October, 1893, Mr. Dunton was united in marriage to Miss Edith C. Bennett, who was born at Lapeer, Michigan, and who is a daughter of Daniel W. Bennett.

Source:  Sawyer, Alva L. 1911.  A History of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan and Its People. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company.

James W. Mott

JAMES W. MOTT. One of the most distinguished members of the bar of Clatsop county is James W. Mott, of Astoria, who not only holds a high place among the able and successful lawyers of this section of the state, but has also a splendid record as a legislator, in which capacity his services were of a character that in a very direct way promoted the public interests. Mr. Mott was born in Clearfield county, Pennsylvania, on the 12th of November, 1884, and is a son of Dr. W. S. and Willetta (Bunn) Mott, also natives of that locality. His father received a good public school education and graduated from the Eclectic Medical Institute, of Cincinnati, Ohio, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He began practice in his native county, where he remained until 1889, when he came to Oregon, locating in Salem, where he opened an office and engaged in the practice of medicine until shortly before his death, which occurred in 1919. His widow is still living in that city. They became the parents of three children, namely: James Wheaton; Dr. Lloyd Howe, who is in the government medical service at Seattle, Washington; and Dr. William Boyd, who succeeded his father at Salem, where he is still practicing.

Continue reading “James W. Mott”