Business and Professional News from the 1900s

Judge Mays went across the river this morning, and in company with Mr. Rorick, of North Dalles, examined the grade leading to the top of the Klickitat mountain with the view of seeing what is necessary to be done to put it in good condition for the teams hauling wheat to this market. Mr. Mays has collected several hundred dollars from Dalles business men, which will be expended on the grade under the supervision of Mr. Rorick. (The Dalles Chronicle, October 3, 1900)

A beaver enterprise is soon to be started at Wood River by J.L. [sic] Loosley and D. Harshbarger. They will build an enclosure of woven wire and capture and stock it with beavers. The animals will be domesticated and the fur will be marketed. (Portland Oregonian, October 28, 1900)

The Comptroller of the Currency has approved of the application of Elias B., John P. and E.H. Rorick and Albert Foster and Ed. L. Barber to organize the First National Bank of Morenci, with a capital of $25,000. (Marshall Expounder, December 7, 1900)

Miss Grace Palmer has resigned her position as saleslady in L. Wiesman’s store and Mrs. Rose Harrison fills the vacancy. It is understood that Miss Palmer has accepted of a permanent position and one which will no doubt be more enjoyed by her. (Clare Sentinel, December 14, 1900)

G. Henry Crane departs to-night for Monessen, Pa., to assume his new duties at the Page wire mill. (Adrian Daily Telegram, February 15, 1901)

David Rorick received a telegram on Saturday from W.C. Tyrrell, at Beaumont, Tex., saying, “We have as big a gusher as any in the field,” which may mean a good many thousand dollars to the captain. (Marshalltown Evening Times-Republican, April 23, 1901)

Dr. J.W. Garth received a telegram Friday from W.C. Tyrrell stating that the company of which he is president had struck oil in paying quantities on its land located in the Texas oil fields. The well is situated 800 feet from the big gusher and it is expected will be as productive as any heretofore developed. The daily papers of Saturday contained the following account of the new well sent out from Beaumont, Texas: “The sixth great oil gusher was brought in yesterday. It is a fine well and fully as great a producer as any of the others. It is directly on top of the little hill which is supposed to be the center of the oil field. The company owns fifteen acres in this tract. The well is a 4-inch, 935 feet deep, and was begun in early March. It was due to come in yesterday and was therefore expected. Notwithstanding this the drillers got the rotary pipe caught and had considerable difficulty getting it out, causing the loss of several thousand barrels of oil.” Cap’s many friends in this county will be pleased to hear of his good fortune. (Wright County Monitor, April 24, 1901)

Mrs. David Rorick, nee Miss Vinnie Tyrrell of Belmond, invested $1,000 in Texas oil stock, and which on a fortunate speculation returned to her $11,500. With that she will buy a Wright county farm. Sensible girl. Oil wells may blow up or go to spouting salt water, but a Wright county farm will be a thing of beauty and profit forever. (Eagle Grove Eagle, July 25, 1901)

Mr. J.O. Walling, a band master late of Santa Cruz, has moved into Paso Robles with the intention of opening a cigar store and teaching the band. Mr. Walling has a reputation that is of the best as a band instructor, and there is no doubt but he will make the Paso Robles band all it should be. Mr. Walling has rented the Glenn cottage near the Repository.—Paso Robles Leader. (Santa Cruz Surf, November 12, 1901)

Messrs. Rorick and Beach have moved their bowling alley into the Cole building next to the village hall. (Adrian Daily Telegram, December 10, 1901)

Archie McCarty is now associated with the Spokane Butchering Company and is now working on the prairie. (Nezperce Herald, January 31, 1902)

A.V. McCarty is here representing the Woodburn Nursey, of Woodburn, Oregon, the oldest established nursery on the Pacific coast and well known for its honorable dealings with the public. Anyone in need of trees will do well to see Mr. McCarty and get better trees at a cheaper price than have ever been sold on Nezperce prairie. (Nezperce Herald, March 7, 1902)

Anent the rumor that Wing & Bostwick would not resume business at Lawrenceville, but would direct their energies entirely to their Corning business, the Corning Leader says: “Carpenters have been at work the past week remodeling the store in the Carpenter & Miller block to suit the needs of Wing & Bostwick, who will occupy it in addition to their place further down Bridge street. It is expected that it will be open to the public early next week.” The Leader also announces that Fred Hawley, of the Wing & Bostwick force, will move his family from Lawrenceville to Corning. (Mansfield Advertiser, January 14, 1903)

Postmaster Mullany has moved the postoffice into the room formerly occupied by Roche, the jeweler. (Elmore Bulletin, November 12, 1903)

The Rorick cheese factory closed last Saturday. (Adrian Daily Telegram, December 17, 1903)

E.B. Rorick & Co.’s window has a fine searchlight made of twisted ribbons of red and white with a reflector at the end and within it are displayed various useful articles. When lighted by the electric bulbs it presents a very brilliant appearance and can be seen nearly a mile away. (Adrian Daily Telegram, December 24, 1903)

M.A. Redding, a carpenter who recently came to California from Illinois, has invested in Hanford property and is now erecting a residence for himself and also one for Cass Mouser on Redington street. (Hanford Kings County Sentinel, December 31, 1903)

A.P. Nugent and others have taken the oil fever and have located the Standley claims, and P.V. Durant, having the same contagion, all on Medbury hill. (Elmore Bulletin, March 17, 1904)

John Gallup, who has purchased the hotel at Cavour, was in the city Tuesday on his way down to take charge of the property. John will make a successful hotel keeper, as his pleasant manner and gentlemanly ways will insure him a good trade. (Huron Journal-World, April 7, 1904)

The professional card which has carried the firm name of Drs. Garth & Garth since 1899 was changed the first of the month to read Dr. J.W. Garth. In other words, father was succeeded by son. The senior Garth has enjoyed a liberal and extended practice for over a third of a century and it seems but natural that his son should relieve him of future responsibility in a professional way. May the same prosperity attend his successor. (Wright County Monitor, November 9, 1904)

Earl McCarty, of Kamiah, was in town Saturday enroute to Spalding, where he will accept a position buying stock for Carsteen Bros., of Seattle. (Nezperce Herald, January 19, 1905)

While here Saturday, W.C. Tyrrell presented Consul Rowen with his autograph in such a manner as to make it valuable in more than one way. The two gentlemen met at the Great Western depot, and Mr. Tyrrell handed Mr. Rowen a bright, crisp ten dollar bank note bearing his signature as vice president of the American National bank of Beaumont, Texas. (Wright County Monitor, July 12, 1905)

M.A. Redding, a contracting carpenter of this city, returned home this morning from a business trip to San Francisco. (Hanford Semi-Weekly Journal, March 24, 1905)

J.R. Armstrong sold his 226-acre farm near Irvington a short time since for $80 per acre, the amount for the piece being $18,080. The farm includes the original town site of Irvington, and is one of the best in that section of the county. (Whittemore Champion, September 1, 1905)

Oxford Mirror: A business change has taken place in our city the past week that will be on considerable interest. Mrs. Nettie Emerson of near Massillon has purchased the restaurant stock of Mrs. M.J. Rorick, and will take possession of same next Monday morning. Mrs. Rorick has conducted the restaurant for the past several years, and has built up a good business, and we have no doubt that Mrs. Emerson will continue to have the business thrive. We welcome Mrs. Emerson to the business interests of our town, and bespeak of her success. Mrs. Rorick has made no definate [sic] plan for the future, but will no doubt decided to remain in our city for the present at least. (Clarence Sun, October 5, 1905)

G. Henry Crane and family are preparing to move from Monessen to Fayette, where Mr. Crane is to be cashier in the new bank there, which opens about October 5. (Adrian Daily Telegram, September 29, 1906)

Elmer Waldrip has sold the Nezperce Herald to a company of business men at that place and the paper will in future be under the editorial guidance of Chancey Wallace, its former foreman. It will not be affected materially by the change. (Camas Prairie Chronicle, April 12, 1907)

John Rorick has plans out for a new garage front, having recently made the second addition to the rear. (San Bernardino Sun, July 31, 1907)

The new auto shop of John Rorick is nearly completed and will soon be ready for use. The new structure is of brick and is an addition to the appearance of the street. (San Bernardino Sun, September 13, 1907)

Capt. Tyrrell has bought a controlling interest in a gold mine in California that is yielding $1,000 to the ton of ore. (Clarion Clipper, September 13, 1907)

If you have fat hogs to sell see Chan. Wallace at the Herald office before disposing of them. (Nezperce Herald, January 9, 1908)

David Rorick, who is a native of Perry, Kansas, has been city attorney of Oceanside two of the three years he has been a resident of the city. He is a graduate of the St. Louis Law school. His law office is on Second street and he has a large and lucrative practice. (San Diego Union, August 28, 1908)

J.R. Walling has sold one-half interest in his wholesale and retail butchering business to Homer Linton of Cedonia. Mr. Linton will place his son-in-law, Emmet Flemming, in the shop. Mr. Walling conducts at large market at Deer Park, and found the management of both was more than he could attend to. (Spokane Spokesman-Review, June 16, 1909)

Appointed (excerpt): John W. Gheseger, forest guard, Pend d’Oreille national forest, starting August 11. (The Missoulian, August 17, 1909)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s