Narrow Escape From Gasoline Explosion

While filling a gasoline lamp in the Maccabee hall at Lincoln yesterday morning Lorin Walling of that town was seriously burned about the hands and a fire in the building was narrowly averted. He was filling the lamp without taking it from the wall, and quantity of the gasoline was spilled on the floor, which immediately ignited, spreading a mass of flame on the floor and in the lamp.

Lorin rushed to the door and threw the flaming can of gasoline into the street, and, returning, carried out the lamp. The fire in the building was easily extinguished, but the act caused Mr. Walling to burn his hands and arms severely, and he will be unable to use them for some time. There was a fire in the stove at the time, and the temperature of the room was high, which was probably the cause of the gas igniting.

Source: Portland Daily Journal, July 30, 1904.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s