W.C. McConnell Has Been In Business In Adrian
He Has Been Successful and Has One of the Largest Stores in This City
Twenty-five years ago Sunday a merchant opened his doors to the public in the Masonic Temple and since that day has continued to conduct a dry goods business in the Maple City. This merchant was W.C. McConnell, a business man, well known over the county, a man with a reputation for fair dealing and endowed with good business ability.
Mr. McConnell has his first lessons in business in Pontiac, where his father was in business for some years, and which he and his brother later conducted. When he leased what is now the Pennock store and the back part of the one now occupied by the express office, it was with the understanding that he should have the two stores very soon, and these were later taken by Mr. Pennock. From 1883 to 1893, Mr. McConnell continued in the temple. This was the year of the Masonic temple fire and now for fifteen years he has been in the present location in the Metcalf block, following F.R. Metcalf, who that year suffered a fire loss. Of the ten clerks who were with him at the commencement of his business career, only one remains, Miss Clara Abrams, and the clerical force has grown from ten to fifteen.
Mr. McConnell’s parents were prominent pioneers of Oakland county and one of the first of the old families. Five years after embarking in business here he married Miss Hanna Rorick, a daughter of Senator and Mrs. J.C. Rorick of Wauseon, and two interesting daughters complete this family, Miss Ada McConnell, who has just graduated from the city schools and who was this week entered at Hamilton school, Washington, D.C., and Miss Cleantha, still attending the city schools.
Source: Adrian Daily Telegram, October 3, 1908.