Mrs. Etta May Bostwick, 81, widow of Elias D. Bostwick, prominent business man, died at 10:45 Thursday evening at her home, 151 Decatur Street. Before his death in 1930 her husband owned and operated one of leading department stores in Steuben County, on the corner of Bridge and Pulteney Streets. Mrs. Bostwick had been in failing health for the past two years.
The body was removed today from the Carpenter Funeral Home to the late home where friends may call. Private funeral services will be held from there Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock, with the Rev. Henry Straub, pastor of the Christian Missionary Alliance Church, officiating. Burial will be in Lawrenceville.
A native of Middletown, she was born November 14, 1867. She was married in Lawrenceville October 20, 1884 and moved to Corning with her husband when he opened a store here in 1904. The one he and Charles Wing operated in Lawrenceville was destroyed by fire in 1903, and in its place the enterprising partners decided to build a new and larger store in Corning.
She was a member of the Christian Missionary Alliance, which her husband was instrumental in founding in this city. Some of the first meetings of this church were held in their home. The Bostwick Bible Class was named for him, since he taught it for a number of years.
Survivors include two sons, Charles of 137 Reynolds Avenue and Dewitt of Alfred; two daughters, Mrs. Alfred Novak of Rochester and Miss Luella Bostwick at home; a sister, Mrs. Della Grover of Elmira; 10 grandchildren, thirteen great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.
Source: Corning Evening Leader, March 11, 1949.