Soo Lawyer Near Death After Wife Fatally Burned

SAULT STE. MARIE, Feb. 5—E.S.B. Sutton, Sault attorney, continued seriously ill with heart disease today while plans were made for his wife’s funeral services this afternoon. Mrs. Sutton, 72, died Saturday of burns when her night clothes caught fire from a heater in the bathroom.

Mr. Sutton, who has practiced law in the Sault since 1879, has been critically ill for the last two months. Friday morning his wife rushed into his room, her night clothes in flames. He leaped from his bed and started to smother the flames with a blanket and then fell to the floor with a heart attack. He recovered later to extinguish the flames and call a physician.

Today close friends said Mr. Sutton, while seriously ill, was withstanding the shock well.

Mrs. Sutton will be buried in the Sault. She was a lifelong resident of this city, born here December 30, 1861. She was one of the last descendants of Peter B. Barbeau, her grandfather, who came here as a representative of a fur trading company in 1826.

Source: Benton Harbor News-Palladium, February 5, 1934.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s