Waverly Baptist church was filled this afternoon for the funeral service for the late Mrs. Leon Sutton of North Waverly, held at 2:30 o’clock. Such a large number expressed their wish to attend the service that a change was made in the plans and the funeral was held in the Baptist church instead of at the North Waverly chapel, a much smaller edifice, as first planned.
Rev. J.E. Miles of Syracuse, former pastor of the Waverly Baptist church, officiated. He was assisted by Rev. Raymond P. Wilson, present pastor of the church.
Waverly and Elmira Eastern Star and Elmira White Shrine members attended the service in a body. The floral tributes were many and beautiful. The Eastern Star of Elmira had charge of the service at the grave. Interment was made in Glenwood cemetery.
The bearers were the three sons of the deceased: Arhal [sic] Sutton of Macon, Ga.; Frank Sutton of Elmira and Charles Sutton of Ithaca; and three nephews, Charles Mann of Syracuse; Floyd and Roy Mann of Penn Yan.
Source: Sayre Evening Times, November 30, 1931.