Man Who Erected Friendship Building at Y.M.C.A. Succumbs After Year Of Invalidism
Dr. J.W. Garth, age 62, benefactor of youth, died at his home, 1347 Calder avenue, shortly after midnight this morning. Hope was abandoned yesterday even for a temporary recovery, after he had lain in a state of coma for 24 hours. Keeping vigil at the bedside were three sons, James, Tyrrell and Thomas Garth, all of Beaumont, and another son, Dr. Leroy Garth was speeding to his father’s home from California.
A telegram was received last night from Dr. Leroy Garth, who had then reached San Antonio. Dr. W.E. Tatum, family physician and associate in business with Dr. Garth, was also present. Doctor Garth, who had lain helpless for more than a year, clung to life tenaciously and always maintained a cheery disposition.
Just before lapsing into the coma from which he never emerged, he reassured the family and friends that he was feeling fine. Other relatives present were Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Tyrrell of Beaumont, and Harry Tyreell of Tulsa, Okla., was expected to arrive.
Dr. Garth alone donated the fund for construction for the Friendship club building for boys of the Y.M.C.A., which was a constant source of satisfaction to him. He visited the home during the course of construction and again after it was finished. The last time he was taken on a stretcher and there he entertained members of the Kiwanis club and boys of the Friendship club.
The boys of the club returned the kindness several times by serenading Dr. Garth at his home. The lads who benefit from the building are mostly newsboys, messengers and others who are wholly or partially self-supporting.
A tribute was paid Dr. Garth by members of the Friendship club committee on receipt of his gift of $12,000 for the clubhouse. He had been a member of the Y.M.C.A. for many years and early took an interest in the boys of the Friendship club.
Dr. Beaumont had lived in Beaumont since 1913. During the years of 1914 to 1917 he was school physician and engaged in active practice of his profession since 1925. He left for a round-the-world trip that year with his wife.
During the World war he was a captain in the medical corps stationed at Hattiesburg, Miss. For a number of years he was president of the Reo Auto Sales company and was treasurer of the Goodhue building company and a director of the Morgan Plan bank. Active in the work of welfare organizations, he was especially interested in the Jefferson County Tuberculosis hospital.
Dr. Garth as a physician specialized in the treatment of eye, ear, nose and throat diseases.
Born in Jackson, Iowa, July 7, 1867, he was the son of Thomas Garth, who came to the United States at the age of 17 and settled in Iowa. His mother was Miss Mima Johnston, a native of Ireland. Doctor Garth was educated in the public schools of Iowa and Chicago, and then entered the University of Illinois medical school from which he graduated in 1899.
He began practice at Clarion, Iowa, and in 1910 came to Port Arthur where he followed the profession until 1913 when he came to Beaumont. He took postgraduate courses in medical institutions in Chicago, New York, New Orleans and Rochester, Minn.
Dr. Garth was married in Beaumont November 24, 1892, to Miss Estelle [sic] L. Tyrrell, daughter of Capt. W.C. Tyrrell, Jefferson county capitalist. She survives him. The residence at 1347 Calder avenue was the old home of Capt. Tyrrell. Doctor Garth was a Mason, an Elk and Knight of Pythias and a member of the Lions Club, the Jefferson County Medical association and the American Medical association.
Funeral arrangements are being completed by the Roberts Undertaking company.
Source: Beaumont Enterprise, November 26, 1929.