Mrs. Eunice C. Clay was born in the state of New York, June 15th, 1838, and departed this life May 19, 1908, at half past four o’clock. She has been a great sufferer for eight years, ever bearing her afflictions patiently. She came to Michigan with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Michael Hiller, when about six or seven years of age. They settled near Flint where they remained several years. She came to Tuscola county when about seventeen years of age, her parents having preceded her to this county. She was married on August 9, 1857, to the late Amzy Clay when eighteen years of age, in Fairgrove township, where they resided until twenty-seven years ago when they took up their residence in Ellington township. After their five children had grown to manhood and woman hood she took three of her grandchildren into her home and carried for them. She was always known as a very kind and helpful woman, ever ready to help a friend or neighbor who needed assistance. Funeral services were held at the home, conducted by Revs. R.L. Cope and Wm. Hutchinson and her remains laid to rest in Ellington cemetery. She leaves to mourn four children, Henry M. Clay of Portland, Oregon; Grant C. Clay, and Ida and Annie, of Ellington; three grandchildren, Mrs. Grace V. Loomis of Ellington, Mrs. Daisy L. VanHorn of Indianfields, and Harry D. Hunt of Ellington; also two sisters, Mrs. Lavina Wright of Saginaw, and Mrs. Rose E. Molonzo of Elllington; and one brother, Walter M. Hiller of Almer. Thus one by one the old pioneers are passing away.
The children of the late Mrs. E.C. Clay wish to extend their heartfelt thanks to the friends and neighbors who so kindly assisted them in the care of their dear mother through her sickness. Also to Rev. Cope for his kind words about her.
Henry M. Clay
Ida E. Clay
Grant S. Clay
Annie C. Clay
Source: Cass City Chronicle, May 29, 1908.