With the death of Mary Isabelle Loosley, 82, widow of the late John Frederick Loosley, Fort Klamath pioneer, at a Medford hospital at 9:30 p.m. Thursday, January 2, the Klamath county lost another of its beloved matrons and early day residents.
Mrs. Loosley left three weeks ago for Central Point to spend the holidays with her brother, James Culbertson. Details of her illness were not learned here. Ward’s will announce final rites Saturday.
Mrs. Loosley was born Mary L. [sic] Culbertson on December 23, 1864, in Sheridan county, Mo., daughter of James E. and Elizabeth Culbertson. She was married to John Frederick Loosley on November 14, 1885. At that time, Mr. Loosley had taken up 160 acres of school land and homesteaded 160 acres adjoining Fort Klamath. For a number of years he operated his ranch and worked at Klamath Agency for the government, operating a sawmill and also building up a splendid herd of cattle. He organized a company in 1895, known as the Fort Klamath creamery and prior to that time, in the early 80’s, he and his brother George owned a steamboat on Upper Klamath lake to carry freight from Klamath Falls to the mouth of Wood river.
About 1900, Mr. and Mrs. Loosley moved their family to their ranch on Seven Mile creek. For a period of three years the family lived in Pittville, Calif., but returned to the Seven Mile home and lived there until 1928, when they leased the property to M.L. Ferguson and moved to Wood River valley. Mr. Loosley died in Medford on March 19, 1940.
Mrs. Loosley leaves scores of friends among the early pioneers of as well as those who have moved to the Fort Klamath country more recently. She is survived by five children, a daughter, Mrs. Bessie Hartley of Prineville, Ore., and four sons, Forester W., Susanville, Calif.; Raymond S., Fort Klamath; Claude of Red Bluff, Calif.; and Merle J. Loosley of Malin.
Source: Klamath Falls Herald and News, January 4, 1947.