Ninius Edgar Search

Again Does Death Enter The Ranks of Battery C, and Calls Home
Sergeant Ninius E. Search.
Death Was Due to a Long Siege of Typhoid Fever—To Be Buried With Military Honors.

The death of Sergeant Ninius E. Search, of Battery C. First regiment, U.S.V.L.A., occurred at 8:45 o’clock Friday morning, of typhoid fever at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. S.A. Search, No. 16 Hall street. He leaves, besides his sorrowing parents, and two brothers (Hillis and Charles) and one sister (Mary) a broken-hearted wife and a little son, aged seven months, who together with the community at large, mourn the demise of a solider hero and citizen. While it was expected it came, nevertheless, as a terrible blight to the hears of the loved ones.

The young solider was respected by all with whom he associated in his brief but honored career.

The obsequies will take place from the Trinity Lutheran church Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock, Rev. Carlos H. Hanks officiating, assisted by Rev. A. Rimbach. An order has been issued by First Sergeant Charles Dawson, calling upon the members of Battery C to assemble at the armory at 12 o’clock and attend in a body the funeral of their late comrade, serving as an escort. All friends desiring to review the remains are requested to call at the residence this evening or Sunday morning. The remains will be interred in Greenwood cemetery. Following is a sketch of the life of the deceased.

Ninius E. Search was born in Falls township in January, 1877. At the age of ten years he removed with his parents to this city, where he resided until his death. Owing to a severe attack of indigestion he was compelled to leave school and entered the employ of George R. Clements, the grocer on South Third street.

After three years of efficient service he left the grocery to accept a position with the marble firm of Mitchell & Baldwin, on Market street, which occupation he retained until last May, when he took up arms in the defense of his country.

He had just completed his apprenticeship at the trade of marble cutting when he left with his regiment for Chickamauga. After four years’ efficient and meritorious service as a private in Battery C he was promoted to the rank of corporal a few days prior to the departure of the company for Camp Bushnell.

That rank was retained until the early part of June, or until the boys had settled down to camp life at Chickamauga, when young Search was made a sergeant. After many a day of stern resistance Sergeant Search was compelled to report at sick roll call Wednesday, August 31, and be assigned to the regimental hospital.

As a result of insufficient nursing and a lack of proper attention, he grew from bad to worse. At length his condition became so precarious as to necessitate his removal to the north. Accordingly, he was placed aboard the hospital car, conveyed to Camp Bushwick with a number of other sick soldiers of Battery C, September7, and then taken to St. Francis hospital, Columbus.

Through the instrumentality of Dr. E.C. Brush the soldier boy was given a furlough and brought to his home in this city, where he remained until his death.

Source: Zanesville Times Recorder, October 1, 1898.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s