John C. Rorick was born near Elmira, N.Y. in 1834. He came to Seneca Township with his parents, William Rorick and wife, Phebe (Breese) Rorick in 1836. In 1867 he was owner of a spoke factory at Canandaigua and also dealt in real estate.
In 1864 he purchased the Sherman Hotel in Wauseon. He soon sold this hotel and he and his brother, Jacob M. Rorick, bought the Morenci Exchange Hotel. At the time he was in the butter business and patented the Rorick system for working store butter which added millions of dollars to the value of butter purchased from the producers in the general market.
Mr. Rorick was educated in the Medina Academy and began teaching at the age of 18 years. He soon went to Wauseon and lived there.
Source: Morenci Observer, June 19, 1958.