One of the first settlers of Franklin of which we have a record was one, Michael Rorick, who, in 1765, purchased a large tract of land, then a wilderness, located on the west bank of the Walkill. He built a home upon a clearing that had been made by Indians, which was near an old Indian trail. This tract is located on the westerly side of the road leading from the site of the old iron furnace at Franklin to the Sterling Mine. This property was the home of the late Samuel R. Losey.
Source: Shuster, Edward Delos. 1927. Historical Notes of the Iron and Zinc Mining Industry in Sussex County, New Jersey. Franklin, NJ: Unknown.