Lincoln—Mrs. Celia Walling, pioneer resident of Polk county, who came across the plains in 1950, was complimented with a dinner and informal afternoon at the home of an old friend, Mrs. Alice Simpson upon the occasion of her 91st birthday, January 16.
Assisting Mrs. Simpson were her daughter, Mrs. W.N. Crawford, and Mrs. J.A. French. Present at the dinner were the honor guest Mrs. Celia Walling, Mr. and Mrs. J.A. French, C.E. Smith, Mrs. and Mrs. W.N. Crawford and Mrs. Alice Simpson. Other callers in the afternoon were Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Edwards, Mrs. Fred Muller, Mrs. W.W. Henry, Mrs. Dot Walling, Mrs. J.D. Walling, Miss Anna Boehringer, Miss Jeannie Smith, Mrs. L.I. Mickey, Mr. and Mrs. A.M. Patrick, Mrs. Nellie Pearson, Mr. and Mrs. R.P. Hunt, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Marr. Mrs. Walling was presented with numerous gifts, among them a beautifully decorated birthday cake.
Mrs. Walling was an infant of five months when on May 17, 1850, her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Harrison, started across the plains by ox team from Sheraton county, Missouri. The wagon train, of which Mr. Harris was captain, reached Oregon late in October. The Harris family located a mile and a half from Dallas on a donation land claim. Dallas was then a wilderness of brush and scrub oak with very few houses. Celia Harris married John Walling October 2, 1870, and they made their home in Lincoln where she has resided since. Her two sons, Tracy and Alvin Walling, also reside there. Grandma Walling, as she is called by her friends has the interesting hobby of quilt-making which she started at the age of eight years. She has preserved her first quilt made then but has lost count of the dozens she has made since. She has the names and patterns of many old-fashioned quilts and delights in discussing them with friends. With unimpaired vision and hearing and a remarkably active mind Grandma Walling is good company having much of Oregon history at the tip of her tongue. She is a charter member of both the Spring Valley Missionary society and Lincoln Goodwill club.
Source: The Salem Capital Journal, January 24, 1941.