A.G. Walling is Dead

The Pioneer Printer Suddenly Passes Away

He Attends an Entertainment and Is Taken Sick — Goes Home and Breathes His Last

Albert G. Walling, one of the best-known pioneer residents of Portland, died very suddenly last night of heart failure.  Mr. Walling, who is very prominent in I.O.O.F. circles, was present at the New Park theater last night for the 77th anniversary celebration of the order.  He was to have been master of ceremonies for the evening, but, before the curtain was raised, he asked Grand Secretary E.E. Sharon to act for him, saying he hardly felt well enough himself.  He then went out and took a seat in the audience.  He had been seated but a few minutes when he said to Mr. Richard Scott, who sat next him, that he did not feel well, and Mr. Scott, perceiving by his appearance that he was very ill, assisted him to the drug store, corner of Park and Washington, and Dr. O.C. Blaney, who was in the theater, was called.  Restoratives were administered, and Mr. Walling was somewhat revived, but his condition alarmed Dr. Blaney, and, calling a carriage, he and Mr. Scott accompanied him to his home, No. 381 Front street.

Although very sick, Mr. Walling insisted on walking up the steps, and to his bedroom in the second story, without assistance.  He was undressed and put into bed, and his wife, who was herself ill, hurried to get some hot water.  She had been gone but a minute when her husband passed away, without a sound or struggle.  His last words were:  “Let me stand up.” spoken as the doctor was placing him on the bed.

Mr. Walling had been afflicted with acute neuralgia for some time, and a serious turn of the disease had been expected by Dr. Blaney for a year.  He was grand master-elect of the Odd Fellows’ grand lodge, which meets at Astoria the 20th of next month, and it is thought that the excitement of preparation for that event hastened his death.  He leaves a son, Edward G. Walling, who is steward of the steamer Iralda, and his daughter is the wife of Captain Newsome, of the same steamer.

Mr. Walling was aged about 68 years.  He came to Oregon in 1850, and took up a claim on the Willamette not far from Oswego.  He was a printer by trade, and did not spend much time on his claim.  He worked at his trade in Oregon City, on one of the first papers published on the coast, and a few years later started a job-printing establishment in this city.  He continued in this business until some six or eight years since, when he retired.  His first wife and several of his children died many years ago.  Shortly after retiring, he made a trip to Europe, Egypt and the Holy Land.  Several years since he married a second time, and his wife survives him.  Of his old-time friends of early days but few are left.  He had been gradually growing more and more feeble, and spent most of his time about the Odd Fellows’ library, in which he took a great interest.

Source:  The Oregonian, Tuesday, April 28, 1896

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s